85mm for landscapes?

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Is an 85mm/1.8 a good lens for landscapes or is it a little too telephoto. I know you may say it depends on what I am shooting. merv:bonk:

85mm can be excellent for landscapes - so can any focal length! I recently read about a landscape photographer who said they used their 70-200 much more than their wide angle lenses on landscape shooting.

Phil

85mm would make an OK landscape, if you have the time you could some good panoramas with it.

Personally I prefer <35mm for landscapes, but use a 50mm for panoramas.

There's no restriction what so ever in using an 85mm for landscapes. It's not about the kit at all - It's about the photograph you want to achieve. Don't get sucked into this odd 'general' opinion that for landscapes the wider the lens the better. In a lot of cases, wide and ultrawide lenses give a very unusual perspective which in some cases ruins the photograph. Also, wide angle lenses tend to get over used when, in reality, they are not necessary for the scene; the approach of get as much in the photograph as possible is used instead of a careful consideration of the composition.

Please don't read my post as "all wide angle lenses are bad for landscapes". They are not. They have their place just like a standard and longer length lens. As said, it's about the photograph you want to achieve and it should be this approach that guides what kit you should use. :)

A couple of gorgeous shots there. Yes I am into panos and have an offer of a 'cheap' second hand 85mm. Ultimately my decision thanks all
merv:clap:
PS I love TP the way people respond so quickly. Maybe theres a lot of retired or unemployed people about!

A couple of gorgeous shots there. Yes I am into panos and have an offer of a 'cheap' second hand 85mm. Ultimately my decision thanks all
merv:clap:
PS I love TP the way people respond so quickly. Maybe theres a lot of retired or unemployed people about!

Or those of us at work who don't have much to do :LOL:

Thanks Jonathan. I have the loudly praised Nikon 14-24 lens but I find the 14mm setting gives terrible distortion which is to be expected but for me ruins the shot. Also very wide often pushes the subject matter very far away. Thx

I just haven't started yet I am on night shift.

There's no restriction what so ever in using an 85mm for landscapes. It's not about the kit at all - It's about the photograph you want to achieve. Don't get sucked into this odd 'general' opinion that for landscapes the wider the lens the better. In a lot of cases, wide and ultrawide lenses give a very unusual perspective which in some cases ruins the photograph. Also, wide angle lenses tend to get over used when, in reality, they are not necessary for the scene; the approach of get as much in the photograph as possible is used instead of a careful consideration of the composition.

Please don't read my post as "all wide angle lenses are bad for landscapes". They are not. They have their place just like a standard and longer length lens. As said, it's about the photograph you want to achieve and it should be this approach that guides what kit you should use. :)

This.

Couldn't have worded it any better myself.

Back