85mm or 100mm filters?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I would like to get some ND and ND Grad filters, either Cokin or Hitech, to use on both my 10-22mm (77mm thread) and my 70-200mm (67mm thread).

I know I will need a wide angle holder for the 10-22mm and the appropriate adaptors for each lens.

I have 2 questions

1. Can I use also use the wide angle holder on the 70-200mm or will I need a separate one?

2. Should I get 85mm size filters and holders or the 100mm size?

Thanks in advance for your help

I used a wide angle adapter on my 10-22 and can then use a Lee holder with 4 filter slots with no problem, but if I want to use a CPL I need to remove a couple of filter slots.

Using 85mm filters will put the edge of the filter holder closer to the lens so would cause vignetting to occur sooner. 85 or 100mm depends on how many filters you plan on stacking

Thanks for the reply Rick. I've not used filters before so am unsure in practice how many filters I will be stacking or will need to stack for general landscape/sunrise/sunset shots. I plan to buy 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 ND and ND grad filters.

Buy the 85mm, they work ok on the 10-22mm, but you can only use one filter using a standard filter holder. Just buy a couple of cheap standard filter holders from eBay and cut the front two slots off using a hacksaw or similar, or you get vignetting, especially when the lens is stopped down.

This has been discussed on here a lot, and the above it what most people do/recommend. It works for me anyway. If you needed any more than one filter at 10mm, you could just handhold it.

Thanks for the reply. I've enquired about Hitech pricing etc from Teamwork digital and they recommend the 100mm size for use with the 10-22mm :bonk:

That's now thrown me a bit as I was set on getting the 85mm set taking on board the recommendations here.

What should I buy guys? :shrug:

Buy the 85mm, it works fine and will save you lots of cash when it comes to buying filters... just buy two of the cheap filter holders and cut them like I said. If it works ok with my Sigma 10-20mm it'll work ok with the Canon lens. There's a thread somewhere with photos of the holders cut and uncut - will try and find it for you...

If you are on a budget, the 85mm filters sound like just the ticket.

If you want the best tool for the job then you want to look at a 100mm system

Back