85mm vs 50mm

There's also the Canon 85mm f1.2 if you're feeling particularly generous towards yourself! :D
LOL! I ALWAYS feel generous towards myself. However, my finances dictate otherwise. :sulk:

The 85mm is coming tomorrow...... *excited*

Give me six months and I'll be wanting my next toy!

I have a manual 85 f1.4 - have a look at my samyang album on Flickr - but really want an AF one. I bought mine for 300 new but an af version will be between 600-1100 depending on which I go for. A long wait yet.....
You can find the Sigma 85mm f1.4 for about £400 s/h. It's a good lens too, but much heavier than the Canon 85 1.8.
Sigma are rumoured to be doing a new Art version of the 85 1.4, which will probably cost £700+, but the current version is still good.

LOL! I ALWAYS feel generous towards myself. However, my finances dictate otherwise. :sulk:

The 85mm is coming tomorrow...... *excited*

Give me six months and I'll be wanting my next toy!

Enjoy the 85!

I'm going to have to wait a while for my next lens, I only got my last one 1 1/2 months ago :whistle:

I didn't think I would use an 85mm til I got one. Such an excellent length for people shots IMO. Next up, a 135 :p

i hope you really enjoy your lens. I had a 56mm as my only lens on my fuji and loved it. I'm about to buy the sigma 50mm f1.4 art as i like the fuji so much. I've owned 2 or 3 canon 85mm f1.8's and i was completely underwhelmed. I guess it's a case of if you get a right good one. Similarly i owned 3 70-200F4L's and one of them was stunning. I wish i never sold it.

Anyway i hope your 85mm is great.

If anyone sees a blond curly-haired woman with a camera in Leeds this afternoon, it's probably me! LOL

What I don't get, is why cheap lenses are built for full frame cameras? I mean, if I bought a body for £1k plus, I wouldn't be buying cheap(ish) lenses for it! Just a thought. :D

Because they are good. 50mm lenses and 85mm lenses are cheap to make, but are commonly used focal lengths. I've Nikkor F1.8 versions of each and are sharp, light and work well in low light.

If they are good, they are good, doesn't matter what they cost.

I suppose another reason for FF lenses being cheaper and easier to make is that they don't have to work as hard as lenses for smaller systems.

I suppose another reason for FF lenses being cheaper and easier to make is that they don't have to work as hard as lenses for smaller systems.
In terms of resolving, yes, but the corners need to do more of course.

Back