888.com popups on a mac

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

Over the last few weeks I have been having issues with bloody 888.com 'popping up' in the background and with its sound on full blast, nearly **** 'em a few times !

Now I am using Safari on a mac and in theory have 'pop ups' disabled, is anyone else having a problem ????

I use Firefox with the adblock extension and never had a single pop up on any website. Firefox is much more secure than internet explorer and I love it!

I am running the adblock plugin on safari - may be the difference. or you may just be infested with some sort of spyware?

i vote infected, there is no popup here.

infected on osx? you'll have tracking cookies or something - run aftersurf or something to clean out all the crap.

aftersurf would clean your cache, temp files, cookies - if there is a version for leopard, I think you can do that from safari anyway

Well, I'll be honest and say it's not this site.....I'm 110% certain of that.
As to what it is....I'm stumped...You're on a Mac for a start, which rules out 99% of the usual culprits.

Possible you have some software running that you are using legitimately? (Which has flash ads) eg Limewire or something like that?

Well, I'll be honest and say it's not this site.....I'm 110% certain of that.
As to what it is....I'm stumped...You're on a Mac for a start, which rules out 99% of the usual culprits.

Possible you have some software running that you are using legitimately? (Which has flash ads) eg Limewire or something like that?

Nothing running that shouldn't be Marcel, I have to say it happens more on other forums but VB seems to have been immune up until now, I have 2 vb forums it does not happen on still !

no pop ups here, i think more than 1 person from the 4k that have been logged in in the last 30 days would have had one if there was

If it was Windows, I could point you in the right direction. Mac? errrrrr

Tried Firefox?

If it was Windows, I could point you in the right direction. Mac? errrrrr

Tried Firefox?

Not for a while, hated it last time I used it, only tried it because others loved it, I love Safari :)

888 seem to be very quiet tonight aswell, although the UPS add made me jump, they have sound you see and come from out of no-where in a new window behind the open window with all my tabs.

Right, not knowing much about such things I have captured and cornered on of these damn advery, Alliance and Leicester this time, and I have the source code, from 'View source' can anyone interpret it and may it give some clues as to how comes to be on my machine ?

Right, not knowing much about such things I have captured and cornered on of these damn advery, Alliance and Leicester this time, and I have the source code, from 'View source' can anyone interpret it and may it give some clues as to how comes to be on my machine ?

post it up ion the computer section.

Do you have a router ? Is it configured to block stuff?

tbh there have been several apple security holes recently as well as a number of well known ones with flash etc. plus cross scripting....

Pops on web designer hat
Tracking cookie: often use by a website to track or store information about your browsing on your computer in a small text file.

Example: shopping site: cookie keeps tabs on the pages you recently looked at and the contents of your cart

Good Example: Airline site.. Wouldnt it be fab if you always booked flights to Dublin, if you went to the BA site and flights to dublin were instantly shown to you. A tracking cookie could help with this

Bad example: you pick up a tracking cookie from a gambling site, so other sites recognise it causing popups to ping out about gambling. Although this seems to be OK, it is bad, because it is using information gleaned from a 3rd party

So by tracking how you use the web, using a tiny inocuious text file on your computer, you will either have a better experience (if the webdesigners were nice guys) or a worse experience if they were the baddies

The cookie itself wont make a popup ping out - that requires a process loaded up in memory to trigger it, usuually from some spyware or virus type thing

Pops on web designer hat
Tracking cookie: often use by a website to track or store information about your browsing on your computer in a small text file.

Example: shopping site: cookie keeps tabs on the pages you recently looked at and the contents of your cart

Good Example: Airline site.. Wouldnt it be fab if you always booked flights to Dublin, if you went to the BA site and flights to dublin were instantly shown to you. A tracking cookie could help with this

Bad example: you pick up a tracking cookie from a gambling site, so other sites recognise it causing popups to ping out about gambling. Although this seems to be OK, it is bad, because it is using information gleaned from a 3rd party

So by tracking how you use the web, using a tiny inocuious text file on your computer, you will either have a better experience (if the webdesigners were nice guys) or a worse experience if they were the baddies

The cookie itself wont make a popup ping out - that requires a process loaded up in memory to trigger it, usuually from some spyware or virus type thing

Thank you for that, never visited a gambling site, TP and other VB Forums OK now, a couple of other forums not, simple, I stop visiting them.

you can block the cookies through your firewall - saying that I'm not sure how to do it via the inbuilt osx one also not sure what options are in safari for blocking cookies

What version of safari are you running? Have you gone to the security settings in preference and set those up?

What version of safari are you running? Have you gone to the security settings in preference and set those up?

These are the settings I have ?

picture3cz7.png

And while I was doing that this little fricker snook under then popped up !

picture4bu7.png

Back