8GB 233x CompactFlash £24.99 delivered

photon

Edit My Images
Yes
This may be a website error, cos they're listing the same price for a 4GB card. The 8GB card is £45 inc VAT from the merchant's own site, but £25 makes it about £7 cheaper than the best price for an Extreme III.

Anyway, it's for the P-r-e-t-e-c brand (remove the dashes), which is well-known for tough cards for industrial and military applications, as well as photography. This has a metal body and is fast at 233x (34MB/s).

Delivery is estimated at about a fortnight, so there'll be a wait before I know if they'll fulfill the order.

Place the order at the well-known online bookseller, named after that big ol' South American river.

Directly naming or linking to the offer may get it pulled. On the other hand the seller probably realises they have to undercut the Extreme III to get volume from consumer sales.

My order was delivered today (y)

Hold your horses though: I've just tested it and the write speed is less than 60% of a Sandisk Extreme III whereas the description implies it should be faster.

I'm sure there are fake Pretec cards out there, contact Pretec and ask how to tell if the card is genuine or not.

Hold your horses though: I've just tested it and the write speed is less than 60% of a Sandisk Extreme III whereas the description implies it should be faster.

you get what you pay for
if you buy cheap you get cheap
i buy sandisk all the time even if they are more expensive

Amazon are no longer listing the 8GB Pretec, but the 4GB is £24.99 compared with £17.99 for an Extreme III.

Back