A Bit Frustrated . .

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Since my first posts a few weeks ago asking about whether I should upgrade my body (D70s) for mainly portrait stuff, I more or less decided to go for a used D300 (y)

However I've been on the look out since then but is it just me or are prices unrealistically high at the minute ? :shrug: They seemed to be going for between £600 - £700 a few months ago, now they're touching £800 on ebay (some even more :eek:)

I'd set a budget and don't really want to spend £750+ on a used D300. I thought about my second choice of an S5 Pro but even they seem to be going for silly money and are difficult to find anyway with low mileage.

So, do you think a D200 would be wise ?? (£400 mark). Not too concerned about it in low light.

I know some of you will recommend a D90 but I'm not sold on the feel of it. Just feels a bit small and lightweight, even compared to my D70s. Haven't tried it with a grip though, that might change my view.

What you reckon folks ? :whistle::whistle:

I've got the D300s and the D200. The only real advantage of the D200 is that it'll shoot true ISO100, the D300s (and the D300) won't.

I use the D300s for most things as it's miles ahead in almost every respect, although the D200 is still an extremely capable camera and I still use it when I'm shooting events (mostly due to the fact that I have the WT-3 WiFi grip for it).

So, I would hold out for a D300 for the right price between those two.

As far as D200 vs. D90, I would definitely pick the D200 for the money. They both have the same 11 point autofocus, but the D200 is weather sealed with a magnesium alloy body (the D90 is high impact plastic), and just feels much more solid.

The D200 also has a flash sync port (which may be important if you're using a studio, as you mentioned portraits - although both will work with radio triggers) and 10-pin accessory port which the D90 does not have, the D200 also uses CompactFlash cards, so you won't have to go out and get a whole bunch of new memory cards, just use the ones you used with your D70s. :)

Last edited:
Back