Critique A bit of a dabble..

Edit My Images
Yes
into macro :)

The wife bought a Sigma 105 2.8 around a month ago and yesterday I got to have a go :cool:.First time out with it and I can see it'll take some getting used to :banghead:

Hit rate wasn't high and these were about my best attempts, although I did wonder if I should have started with something a tad bigger :D

Nikon D7200, hand held. I did try with a mono pod but found it restrictive

I was unsure what to expect and possibly a little disappointed with the results, or was I expecting too much?

All critique & comments welcome, I'm open to all advice and keen to learn, cheers

hoverfly 4 1024.jpg

Hoverfly 3 1024.jpg

hoverfly 1 1024.jpg

As a first attempt at macro, very little wrong with these.
What did you feel was wrong with the others
We're you using af or mf ?
For macro you will be better off using manual focus.
The sigma 105mm macro is the macro lens I use and tbh it's as good as any and better than some.
Have a wander through the macro section and you will pick up plenty of tips
Good shooting.

As a first attempt at macro, very little wrong with these.
What did you feel was wrong with the others
We're you using af or mf ?
For macro you will be better off using manual focus.
The sigma 105mm macro is the macro lens I use and tbh it's as good as any and better than some.
Have a wander through the macro section and you will pick up plenty of tips
Good shooting.

Thanks for the reply Derek

Most of me shots were either soft or missed focus. The shallow dof takes some getting used to, any movement in camera is noticeable on the focus point handheld.

I had focus set to AF-C with my thinking being focus my adjust to my motion but if it didn't help!

I'll try manual focus, I presume the technique is to pre focus then move in or out to gain focus?

I've also read about using flash, even in good light. I have a cheap flash gun, might try making some kind of defuser and give it a go to keep ISO lower, cheers

Manual focus is definitely the way to go. As you can't control exactly where the camera will focus on af . Are you trying to shoot wide open ?, can't see any exif data on these so I've no idea what settings you used.
When you start getting in really close, DOF and light become issues. So flash will definitely help.
Here's a link to the macro rig thread on here you can see the different setups people have come up with

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/

Loads of good macro shooters on here so there should be plenty of advice coming your way.

Manual focus is definitely the way to go. As you can't control exactly where the camera will focus on af . Are you trying to shoot wide open ?, can't see any exif data on these so I've no idea what settings you used.
When you start getting in really close, DOF and light become issues. So flash will definitely help.
Here's a link to the macro rig thread on here you can see the different setups people have come up with

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/show-us-your-macro-rig.132158/

Loads of good macro shooters on here so there should be plenty of advice coming your way.

Thanks Derek, appreciate the reply.

When I post in the bird section I always add exif, I've no idea why I forgot here.

First two were @ f18, third shot @f20 but I was trying to get in close as possible, so had to up ISO to get SS up

I'll have a read through the thread you've linked, will try manual focus and look at using flash with diffuser.

I certainly enjoyed using the lens even if it was a tad frustrating at time, looks like macro could well be my next step in photography, cheers

Last edited:
I think these are pretty good for a first effort. It takes a bit of practice to refine your technique.

I must be in a minority because I use AF for all my macro work and have a much higher hit rate that I ever did usng MF.

There’s a significant drop off due to diffraction on the Sigma after f16 so I would try that as your limit.

As stated flash can be a big help, I tend to use it for fill in and balance it against ambient light because I feel it gives a more pleasing image.

Thanks for the replies and great advice, all taken onboard (y)

I certainly had it in me head that shooting something up close would be easier than trying to shoot fast flying Auks ............. I was wrong! :D

Will keep aperture wider and look at defused flash to keep ISO down

@alfbranch Now you mention the rocking technique in MF, I bet I've heard that before but forgot on the day, I'll try it, see how I get on. .As mentioned earlier, I was thinking AF-C would compensate for any movement but it could well have made it worse

I'll have a read through the links, maybe that might have helped beforehand :rolleyes: :D

Again, many thanks, advice appreciated :)

Last edited:
Back button focus with AF-S plus MF (depends on camera) and rock is the AF technique I use for some combinations

Last edited:
Back