A bit of a quandry

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've owned a Nikon D300 for several years and it has been used both professionally and for pleasure, helping to create some great photos. I no longer do any paid work.

The D300 is getting a bit long in the tooth - a bit like me really - and I'm thinking it's time to get a "better" camera. I'm not going to spend a fortune on the latest/greatest bit of kit and am looking at something used. I used to have a D700 and have always hankered after another one but at the same time I'd like something a bit newer, maybe a D7100/7200.

My problem is I can't decide which to get :( so I'm looking for some thoughts from you kind people.

I dont think the D7100 or even the D7200 is a big enough step from the D300. If you liked full frame on the D700 then why not look for something like a D750/D810, if those cost to much then there is a 2nd hand D600 to think about. You dont say what type of photography its for so its hard to suggest the most suitable.

The obvious move on from the D300 is the D500, but it's not cheap :eek:

You might look at a D800 if it's within your budget. It handles like a D300 or D700, though it's a bit heavier, and lower fps. Full frame of course, and a terrific sensor. Starts at about £900, compared to £600 for the D7200.

Thanks for the comments so far. The camera will be used for a wide range of genres - pretty much anything but landscapes. My thoughts about the 7*00 bodies is their improved iso performance compared with the 300 which would allow me to sell off some of my heavier f2.8 lenses.

I've tried the 800/810 and can't get on with them. I think it's my handling technique that's the issue rather than the camera but I really struggle to get a sharp image. The 600 might be an alternative though ... better do some research on that one.

Thanks for the comments so far. The camera will be used for a wide range of genres - pretty much anything but landscapes. My thoughts about the 7*00 bodies is their improved iso performance compared with the 300 which would allow me to sell off some of my heavier f2.8 lenses.

I've tried the 800/810 and can't get on with them. I think it's my handling technique that's the issue rather than the camera but I really struggle to get a sharp image. The 600 might be an alternative though ... better do some research on that one.
Do you have a budget?

I've tried the 800/810 and can't get on with them. I think it's my handling technique that's the issue rather than the camera but I really struggle to get a sharp image.
I'm guessing you're talking about sharpness at 100% view... if you have issues w/ the 36MP FF sensor, you're going to find the 16+ MP APS sensors at least as demanding.

I upgraded from a D300 to the D7100 and loved it, ease of control without diving into menus was a big plus
Customised a few settings and am well pleased with it, now have both the D7100 and D7200, not looking to upgrade either

If you prefer something a little less bulky & want FF then a D600/610 might be a good bet.

I'm guessing you're talking about sharpness at 100% view... if you have issues w/ the 36MP FF sensor, you're going to find the 16+ MP APS sensors at least as demanding.

Hi sk66,

Yes, I was looking at 100%and could definitely see camera shake - just 1 pixel either way and maybe for prints up to A3 size it won't matter but as I get older my hands will surely get less stable. I've used 24MP cameras in the recent past and not seen the same issue so I think 16MP will be okay for me.

Do you have a budget?

Hi snerkler,

I haven't really set myself a budget. I can afford a new D810 but I'd rather not spend that kind of money. I guess I'd feel comfortable paying £800 - maybe 850 - but as this is a non-essential purchase I will look for the best deal I can find :)

Hi snerkler,

I haven't really set myself a budget. I can afford a new D810 but I'd rather not spend that kind of money. I guess I'd feel comfortable paying £800 - maybe 850 - but as this is a non-essential purchase I will look for the best deal I can find :)
If you have a lot of DX lenses then the D7200 would be the best choice imo (the D500 is the best DX camera but is £1700). The D700 is great, and worth considering if you have a lot of FX lenses. Is it better than the D7200? Depends who you talk to. I personally have a preference for FF, but Ive used the D7200 on a few occasions and it's an excellent camera. The only gripe is that when you're used to FF it's noticeable how early you start to see noise on the D7200.

If you have a lot of DX lenses then the D7200 would be the best choice imo (the D500 is the best DX camera but is £1700). The D700 is great, and worth considering if you have a lot of FX lenses. Is it better than the D7200? Depends who you talk to. I personally have a preference for FF, but Ive used the D7200 on a few occasions and it's an excellent camera. The only gripe is that when you're used to FF it's noticeable how early you start to see noise on the D7200.

I've got a good selection of both DX and FF lenses so that doesn't need to influence my decision. I'm curious about your noise comment - do you think the nose handling is better than the D7200? THIS could be a decider between those two bodies but I'm still looking at the D600 too.

Hi sk66,

Yes, I was looking at 100%and could definitely see camera shake - just 1 pixel either way and maybe for prints up to A3 size it won't matter but as I get older my hands will surely get less stable. I've used 24MP cameras in the recent past and not seen the same issue so I think 16MP will be okay for me.
It comes down to the size of the pixels... 16MP on APS is very similar to 36MP on FF.

I've got a good selection of both DX and FF lenses so that doesn't need to influence my decision. I'm curious about your noise comment - do you think the nose handling is better than the D7200? THIS could be a decider between those two bodies but I'm still looking at the D600 too.
FF always has an advantage in terms of noise per image size just because it gets more light... between the D600/7200 I would expect about 1 stop, but I haven't actually used either of those bodies.

If you want something smaller but still full frame how about the Df?

get a cheap d7000 and wait for the d500 to come down in price.

the 7000 is lighter, much improved ISO performance and 16mp seems a sweet spot to me.

I've never owned the D700, only played with it in store so my observation regarding noise is from using the D750. With the D750 I don't start to notice noise until around 800-1000 ISO and don't start using NR in post until around 3200 (depending on scene, light etc). With the D7200 I start to notice noise around 400 ISO, by 1600 it's needing NR in post imo.

It comes down to the size of the pixels... 16MP on APS is very similar to 36MP on FF.

Hmm, yes you're right. Maybe I was having a bad day when I tried the D800 and should add it back into the thought process.

If you want something smaller but still full frame how about the Df?

Now that's a quirky looking camera! I almost bought one on impulse when they first came out but resisted the temptation. Right now they are more than I want to spend used.

get a cheap d7000 and wait for the d500 to come down in price.

the 7000 is lighter, much improved ISO performance and 16mp seems a sweet spot to me.

GTG, this might well be the answer to my problem :)

D700 or D7200 at the low end Steve, otherwise D750 :)
D7200 can produce lovely clean images and responds well to Topaz Denoise where necessary ... 24mp and substantial buffer totally missing in the D7000.

I rarely print, just when viewing or editing photos on the monitor.

I guess you are acutely aware of digital noise, and you like super-smooth images. However, I suspect you won't find many people complaining of intrusive noise on a D7200 at 1600 ISO, let alone 400. It is a camera that has a reputation for producing very clean images.

I would add that I am probably not the best judge, as I actually introduce digital grain into my photos as I believe that it makes them look more 'organic', for which you can read filmlike.

I guess you are acutely aware of digital noise, and you like super-smooth images. However, I suspect you won't find many people complaining of intrusive noise on a D7200 at 1600 ISO, let alone 400. It is a camera that has a reputation for producing very clean images.

I would add that I am probably not the best judge, as I actually introduce digital grain into my photos as I believe that it makes them look more 'organic', for which you can read filmlike.
I didn't say it was intrusive at 400, just that it can be seen :p

FWIW, the pixel level noise and sharpness concerns kind of "equalize"... i.e. 12 vs 24MP on the same size sensor, with less than perfect technique/settings the 24mp image will look less sharp and noisier at 100% view. But for any equivalent size output they will be effectively the same. Having the higher resolution sensor didn't hurt you, it just didn't help either.

Okay, I can't make my mind up between the 700 and 7200. I've discounted the D600/610 for a number of reasons, based on reading reviews.

My heart says D700 all day but my head is saying go for something a bit newer with better technology, hence the D7200. This is going to come down to whichever one appears on the purchasing radar first gets the vote ... not very scientific I know :)

Thanks all for the comments and opinions - I'll let you know how it ends :)

I was in a similar quandary Steve,older FF versus newer sensor crop,
either way I think you will enjoy using, just a different experience.
because I had done more newer crop than FF,this time I went for an older FF and am loving it, i just shoot for my own enjoyment and nothing moving fast so its ideal.different look to the newer crops sensors I have used
you seem to be the other way around having used a d700 before but not had the newer sensor crop.
whatever you decide have fun.

Last edited:
The sensor in the D7200 is fantastic, even in the D5200. You will get a much better low light performance and DoF control with the full frame sensor, but that's probably the only real advantage it will have over the D7200 apart from being cheaper.

Okay, I can't make my mind up between the 700 and 7200. I've discounted the D600/610 for a number of reasons, based on reading reviews.

My heart says D700 all day but my head is saying go for something a bit newer with better technology, hence the D7200. This is going to come down to whichever one appears on the purchasing radar first gets the vote ... not very scientific I know :)

Thanks all for the comments and opinions - I'll let you know how it ends :)
There are a lot of people who say that the D700 renders nicer than modern Nikons, better colours etc. Maybe this is worth considering when deciding between the two. Another thing is that the D700 only has one card slot IIRC, could be a deal breaker for some.

Back