A bit of bad news, then a huge bit of good news

Name
Jonathon
Edit My Images
No
I was just playing with my D7000, and to my horror discovered a crack in the rear screen. Undoubtably i was devastated.

Then to my upmost delight, it turns out the previous owner had fitted a screen protector, and it was that which had been cracked.

So happy right now, i've ordered a replacement protected instantly, and will now take far more care of my equipment.

Cracked by JonathonBellman, on Flickr

That was nice to discover, but the thing is, those 'protectors' are nowhere near as strong as the actual screen. They're made from cheap glass or plastic. the actual LCD will have been treated and coated and all sorts to ensure it doesn't crack so easy.

I use one of the plastic ones that slips over the whole screen, I think they're safer.

Have to agree with Keith, I've managed to smash 3 of the glass protectors in a very short time on 2 cameras, never yet damage a screen so don't use them any more

Had similar thing with a stick on protector. Got a camera really cheap on Monday from a camera shop because the screen was a mess (looked like it had permanent smudges on it)
Got it home and started picking at the corner and it was a very well stuck on protector, peeled it off and screen as good as new - bargain.

Oh that relief feeling is wonderful...

How did you manage to crack the screen protector in the 1st place ?

Oh that relief feeling is wonderful...

How did you manage to crack the screen protector in the 1st place ?

No idea to be honest. I just noticed a smal crack ,then touching it made it work its way across the screen.

Like you said, the relief was unimaginable lol

I bought from Amazon recently a Screen Protector which they claim is made of the raw optical material of glass and has an explosion proof film !!!

Its made by GGS - what I do like about it though is that it connects to the camera via the viewfinder and slots down over that and the live view screen, meaning it can be removed easily to clean and no sticky gunge to worry about on the camera.

Wondering why the last owner didn't just use the standard plastic cover, the notch under the eyecup suggests it used to have one.
Besides it's like with mobile phones, it takes a drop on the corner to crack one, the cover is just to stop scratches.

Last edited:
Is that image in the first post your actual csmera, OP? Did the GGS D7000 written on the screen not give away the fact that it had a cover on it?! lol

I only ever use the really thin sticky plastic ones on my cameras just to stop the zips on my jackets scratching it. They also reduce the sensitivity slightly and stop my clothing taking random pictures using the touch screen!

Is that image in the first post your actual csmera, OP? Did the GGS D7000 written on the screen not give away the fact that it had a cover on it?! lol

Well i wasn't familiar with GGS until the day i cracked my screen, so no. Plus it was fitted so flush with the camera, i just assumed it was the stock screen.

Thankfully I've never cracked a screen in seven years of digital photography, it makes me wonder how some folk treat their equipment, I've never felt mine was at particular risk.

Back