A bit of help please- Nikon CLS and tonight shoot

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
Hey all, toinght I have my first of camera flash shoot. its with a friend in a really nice bar, its not curical that I get amazing picsw but I would like too :)

I have a couple of questions. I can get the SB-800 fire using Nikon CLS on my D700 but the built in flash still fires. I have it set to -- like it says to on the instruction video on Youtube. I didn't think it was meant to go off?

Also any general tips on settings and stuff would be great. I have one SB-800 off camera with reflective and shoot through umbrella. I know I could do with more flashes but im just starting doing this.

Any help much appreciated.

Luke

I thought the onboard flash triggered the slaves?

Hi Luke,

It does still fire - in theory because its only sending information via IR to your SB-800 the flash is weak enough not to affect the final image.

Cheers

Hugh

Hi Luke,

It does still fire - in theory because its only sending information via IR to your SB-800 the flash is weak enough not to affect the final image.

Cheers

Hugh

So, you could effectively cover it up without any issues? Maybe rig something up to go over the on board flash?

I've seen somewhere a little gadget which has a folding flap over the on board, can't remember where though

Hi Luke,

Cheers

Hugh

Could it of been at I had the lens at f/2.8 instead of f/8. at f/2.8 it was coming out really bright?

there is a Nikon part to do this - I forget the part no. You could just cover it with old 35 mm negatives.

Also one more questone, is there a way to adjust the power of the SB-800 when its in remote mode?

You can adjust the SB-800 from the commander mode of the D700 - at least you could on the D300 - I assume the D700 is the same.

Hi Luke,

Assuming you've set then onboard flash to commander mode then you can adjust through the shooting menu.I've no idea why the onboard looks so bright though.

Hugh

The only time I have a problem with using the pop-up to trigger the off camera flash is when there are reflective surfaces in fron of the camera (windows, clock faces etc) The commander flash is not bright enough to affect the exposure, but it does show in reflections. I just place my left hand in front of it in these rare cases, but that's obviously not ideal. I remember seeing a shoe mounted little gadget somewhere too with a flip up screen to cover the pop-up, but can't remember where either... it was on TP somewhere I think. You can always use an Ebay radio trigger if it is a problem for you.

In short you need a Nikon SG3-IR which block the visible light from the onboard flash whilst letting the IR portion through to trigger your SB-800

Back