A bit of help please

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
hi all, i took some photos yesturday with my sony a230 with a 18-55mm lens and also a tamron 70-300mm tele, i just thought i could post them up to have u guys have a look and give me general pointers in the way they cud be better and improved, im quite new to photgraphy and i am very inthusiastic about it so any help would be great cheers

here goes no laughing ( and the silver one is mine)

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

thanks

Slightly under exposed, the top 2,

and additional clutter that takes your eye off the subject.

ps as a pest controller, i'd be looking at the wheat bags for rat activity, not your car... hehehehe

dont be put off though, we all learnt from day 1.

Last edited:
underexposed as in not enought light?? and also clutter as in the bags and other objects within the frame?

i'm learning too, so take this with a pinch of salt ..!

1.......far too many items
Pro car magazine togs shoot in early morning light
something to do with flat modeling light i think
place the car in a parking lot - after rain = reflections
or on a hillside or beach - anywhere to reduce distractions

2...better with no people under tailgate - take a look OVER the camera to see what else is in the frame before shooting

3..crop out LH bag
crop down to bottom of white sky triangle - this also removes box thing

4. too far away - crop as above ?

hope that helps.....:cool:

cheers yardbent, all this is help for me! im new to it but its annoying as sometimes i think i try to hard on getting the camera in the right mode! but i was told in a camera shop to shoot it aperature to start with

cheers yardbent, all this is help for me! im new to it but its annoying as sometimes i think i try to hard on getting the camera in the right mode! but i was told in a camera shop to shoot it aperature to start with

dont we all.............:LOL:
just had a look at the first one again.....
see the amount of light sky - that has caused the camera to try and expose for the whole scene thus the car is a little dark - move in to the left and omit the sky

shooting aperture is ok
most lens are their "sharpest" a few stops up from the largest aperture
if your Sony is f3.5[?] try setting the aperture to f4 or f5.6
adjust shutter speed [or does the camera do that ?] for correct exposure.
If less the 1/60 use a tripod and the timer release so you dont get camera shake
focus on the front of the car - at f5.6 the background will fall OOF - Out of Focus - thus highlighting the subject - providing nothing else is close [like sacks!:LOL:]

yeh sony is 3.5f at 18mm, and camera adjusts the shutter speed itself in the a mode, and yeh i was using a tripod anyways but i do need to learn about dof on subjects aswell!! cropping is a hard one for me as i can never determine were to crop!!

yeh sony is 3.5f at 18mm, and camera adjusts the shutter speed itself in the a mode, and yeh i was using a tripod anyways but i do need to learn about dof on subjects aswell!! cropping is a hard one for me as i can never determine were to crop!!

i use 2 free photo editors you can download

Picasa 3 and paint.NET

in P3 under Basic Fixes there is a crop tool
[the first time you open P3 it searches and lists ALL your photos]
select one, drag the crop tool over the photo - if you dont like it - there's an "Undo" button

Back