A Bittern

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
These shots was taken with the Canon 7 d2 1.4 converter on a 600f4 the bird was approximately 400 - 450 mtrs away and I was surprised how well they tuned out although they are a heavy crop about 60 percent I would like to know your opinions ?
(1)
_D_28385 by kevin robinson, on Flickr
(2)
_D_28396 by kevin robinson, on Flickr
(3)
_D_28381 by kevin robinson, on Flickr

Bitterns ae never easy so heavy crops are still worth having and flight shots even more so :)

Looking on my phone, #3 looks best.

That sort of distance I wonder if atmospheric distortion is present and varies?

I would be happy with them and thanks for sharing :)

Nice kev ,better than my shots yesterday

Nice set- No3 is for me, the better shot, having more wing detail

well caught Kev

Les :)

Nice!
I have actually never seen these let alone photograph them!
I saw great white egret last weekend for first time! Not sure where I can to go to find these but I hear they are easier spot in winter.

Well done catching them in flight!

Nice!
I have actually never seen these let alone photograph them!
I saw great white egret last weekend for first time! Not sure where I can to go to find these but I hear they are easier spot in winter.

Well done catching them in flight!

First of all nice photos Kevin, really good detail for such a heavy crop

Not too far from Cambridge is the answer, ten minutes walk from my house is Fen Drayton RSPB reserve
I don't do wildlife photography, but wander over there a lot and see all sorts of birds and mammals
That list includes Bittern, Heron, Little/Great Egret, Little/Barn Owl, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite,Kingfisher etc etc
Hear the Bittern a lot this time of year, hard to miss, spend some time and you will see them
Even a Seal that lives in the Gt Ouse, think i've posted the odd snapshot on here over the years

More than likely at Fowlmere too, I was really lucky to see an Otter there, alas no camera at the ready

Last edited:
First of all nice photos Kevin, really good detail for such a heavy crop

Not too far from Cambridge is the answer, ten minutes walk from my house is Fen Drayton RSPB reserve
I don't do wildlife photography, but wander over there a lot and see all sorts of birds and mammals
That list includes Bittern, Heron, Little/Great Egret, Little/Barn Owl, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite,Kingfisher etc etc
Hear the Bittern a lot this time of year, hard to miss, spend some time and you will see them
Even a Seal that lives in the Gt Ouse, think i've posted the odd snapshot on here over the years

More than likely at Fowlmere too, I was really lucky to see an Otter there, alas no camera at the ready
Is that an offer to show me around? ;)

Tbh Cambridge is bit of a trek. Somewhere closer to South London help!

Is that an offer to show me around? ;)

Tbh Cambridge is bit of a trek. Somewhere closer to South London help!

I'll show you around, my pleasure
Thought you were over south of Cambridge at one time?

Rich I see you are from St ives Cambs. I am from Ely Did have a visit to RSPB site entrance Erith >> St Ives road, with a view to have a look around. A couple of old dears walking dogs said that nothing much happened on the site. So did a quick retreat. up to the Wash.

Perhaps we could get together and have a good look around. I am retired so am free most days. apart from weekends.

Oh and Kevin just wonderful shots.

Rich I see you are from St ives Cambs. I am from Ely Did have a visit to RSPB site entrance Erith >> St Ives road, with a view to have a look around. A couple of old dears walking dogs said that nothing much happened on the site. So did a quick retreat. up to the Wash.

Perhaps we could get together and have a good look around. I am retired so am free most days. apart from weekends.

RSPB Ouse Fen has some good species, just need to avoid dog walkers! I tend to enter it from Bluntisham where I live, Barleycroft Lake end can be quieter, plus you can also do Berry Fen between Earith and Bluntisham

Sounds like a nice idea Keith, i'm retired too so plenty of time when its quieter during the week.
I have been over to Ely, had a walk round Roswell pits, but prefer the larger expanse over here
Fen Drayton RSPB is a fair size, know it very well, go there at least once a week, usually manage to see something
Best if we sort something out via pm rather than clog up this thread
**edit** Don't seem to be able to contact you via pm, maybe try and see if you can send one to me please

RSPB Ouse Fen has some good species, just need to avoid dog walkers! I tend to enter it from Bluntisham where I live, Barleycroft Lake end can be quieter, plus you can also do Berry Fen between Earith and Bluntisham

I have been over there too Gordon, entered from Needingworth and have also come in from the Over side
Been both sides of the sluice, but its a fair stroll for me if I come from St Ives along the Ouse Valley way

Last edited:
I have been over there too Gordon, entered from Needingworth and have also come in from the Over side
Been both sides of the sluice, but its a fair stroll for me if I come from St Ives along the Ouse Valley way[/QUOTE]

Quite a few people park on the wide grass verge of the A1123 at Berry Fen then walk along to Braunches Staithe then into Barleycroft that way

They look fine to me, Kevin. Good detail. Most people only hear them and happily, they’re numbers are increasing so they will be seen more often. As you see by my avatar I got lucky one day at Slimbridge and two flew past the hide ..twice and just 50m away..if that.

All three are good in my opinion but #3 is the best.

The Canon 1.4x works really well on the EF supertelephoto L lenses, as does the 2x but both Converters need to be version III to exploit what they have to offer.

Back