A blast from the, long, past....!

Edit My Images
Yes
My wife found this in the 'tin-box' full of old 'snaps'.

About 1959 we think, the year we left school, I was 16 my girlfriend, future wife, was 15, we went to Southend for the day and this was taken on the pier.

We remember arriving home so late that my future step-father in-law was hopping up and down on the doorstep ready to decapitate me, things were a lot different then...Ho-Hum.

Oh BTW, we were married in 1962 and are still there 53 years later....Ho-Hum....and happy too....Ho-Hum.

Cor-Blimey G'nor, just look at me Barnet....sadly most of it's gorn in'it.

IMG_0411-1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ha, so much positives there. Childhood sweetheart, Southend (I love the place), 53+ years together and dressed for the period. If I was a generation older I'm 100% sure I'd have been a Ted. I love that whole period. I think this is just a fantastic piece of social and personal history. You can't write that stuff, you've said all there is to say and the picture just underlines it. Altogether brilliant.

:plus1: Really lovely to see Dave.(y)

George.

Just "a snap" but a wonderful moment caught in time and a simple reminder about the power of photography. Thank you for sharing.

Nice to see old photos like this, along with you both still tolerating each other;)

Was you living in West Wales then? if so it must have been a hell of a journey in those days. Im 48 and as a youngster going to Barry Island or Porthcawl seemed like a never ending journey for me, going further to places like Westham, Millwall in the early / mid eighties was a nightmare, going further on, to Southend 25 years earlier must have taken an age!. I was a Skinhead in my younger days, but would loved to have been around for the Northern Soul scene.

Last edited:
Nice to see old photos like this, along with you both still tolerating each other;)

Was you living in West Wales then? if so it must have been a hell of a journey in those days. Im 48 and as a youngster going to Barry Island or Porthcawl seemed like a never ending journey for me, going further to places like Westham, Millwall in the early / mid eighties was a nightmare, going further on, to Southend 25 years earlier must have taken an age!. I was a Skinhead in my younger days, but would loved to have been around for the Northern Soul scene.

We are both Londoners, moved to Wales 15 year ago.

Back