A bridge too far, ruining a classic scene.

So the local council in their infinite wisdom has added a walkway going to the Bridge to Nowhere up in Dunbar Scotland.

I'm glad I managed to shoot it before this abomination was added

Pointless exercise, if they genuinely wanted to improve safety surely the walkway would be longer?

Damn those horrid people who change things for the benefit of others! :exit:

This was on my list to visit but may need removed. Will it still be visible over high water?

From what you have posted it just looks like a contractor has been given free reign. No aspect of design or consultation to ensure the solution is safe, suitable or aesthetically pleasing. Surely a ground level cobbled/ stone walkway using natural stone from the area would have been a much more sustainable solution. This will be a maintenance nightmare, money pit and eyesore for a long time. I'm sure the contractor who was looking rid of 15m of galvanised walkway from their yard is now rubbing their hands!

To be honest, I can't see what the problem is. From the photo shown, I'd consider the walkway as pleasing an object as the bridge. We should always remember that different people have different tastes.

At least the Tintagel bridge is an impressive feat of engineering and something extra to photograph. That walkway on the otherhand is just plain ugly and has little to redeem itself, it doesn't even look like it would help much given the short distance it goes and that it would be underwater half the time.

Back