A Career in Photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Hope this is the right forum to post this on but would like a bit of advice if possible.

I'm wanting to pursue a career in photography (ideally sports) but wondering if anyone knows the best path to go down? whether that be approaching certain companies, particular qualifications, certain degrees etc.

Appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction...

Perhaps ask for this to be moved to the sports section? There seem to be a few guys in there who've "been there and done that"...

Might be worth adding a little background as to where you're at now. How old, do you have any experience in your chosen field already, etc etc.

24, no particular experience just a passion I've had for a while and love to pursue it.

Yeah if any moderators or admin could move it into the sports section, that would be great.

Mod edit 'Tis done

Last edited by a moderator:
shoot a LOT. And then some more. And then a bit more.

The guys in the sports section will be able to help/advise, there's already quite a few threads on this kind of thing.

But keep taking pictures. That is the most important thing.

Wot Dave said.

People who employ photographers have little or no interest in qualifications. The end result is all. A course can teach a lot if it's a good course, but it certainly isn't a prerequisite.

before I offer up any advice I would need to where are you based?

Rovers_Andy said:
and spending £1000+ on courses from PA

Which one dat den? I know that he's claimed that he had a place at Norton to do the NCTJ, but wasn't aware that PA were running any training courses.

Lemon, bear with us whilst we sort this out, but there will be some decent info coming out of it! :)

The 2 main skills you need are photographic ability and business sense.

How about posting some of your work in the critique section so we know a bit more about your skill level.

pooley said:
The 2 main skills you need are photographic ability and business sense.

You can add a Third to that, especially for sport & news; subject knowledge.

I'm wanting to pursue a career in photography (ideally sports) but wondering if anyone knows the best path to go down? whether that be approaching certain companies, particular qualifications, certain degrees etc.

Its not 100% clear so I will ask..
Are you a sports photographer and you want to know what steps to take to turn it into a business.. Or are you looking for advice on the first step.. how to start learning to be a sports photographer?

Its not 100% clear so I will ask..
Are you a sports photographer and you want to know what steps to take to turn it into a business.. Or are you looking for advice on the first step.. how to start learning to be a sports photographer?

No I'm not a sports photographer just wanting to know the first steps - a beginner in reality.

As a previous poster said just go out at every opportunity and shoot lots of different sports, not just the obvious ones, if you are going for an interview it's important to have the footy/rugby etc but if you want to do sports then you will have to understand Lacrosse (hardest sport I've ever photographed) horse racing, cycling, bowls, table tennis, etc, etc, the list goes on...

When I got interested in press photography my first 3 sports were mountain biking in Macclesfield forest, Leek town FC and then Congleton town FC, after a few years I was photographing premiership football, as well as many national and international sports events. I did it via the newspaper route which gave me the access.
Took me around 2-3 years before I started photographing the larger events, guess today the press route is a lot more difficult, but not impossible if you work very very hard at it.

No I'm not a sports photographer just wanting to know the first steps - a beginner in reality.

Right then.. Using football as an example... first thoughts are big crowds and well known players..But the same game is played on a sunday morning at your local parks.. You need to get along to them and at least get a good deal of footballl photogrpahy in and have a good grasp... There are too many sports to cover them all.. But you will be amazed at how many grass roots sports there are that will welcome you with open arms.. especialy if you offer them some pictures :)

football is just an example..

You need to build up a portfolio of some sort.. the sports photogrpahy industry for the main part are not interested in your education or if you won awards... all they are interested in is can you take a sports picture... your portfolio will answer that.. quite a few will want to know what equipment you have and in reality top end lens and body will give you more credibility (yeagh i know it shouldnt)

There are different entries into the business... newspapers ..however this really is dying out wiht more losing work than gaining... agencies.. working for other people on spec mostly and getting 70% of sales IF you sell anything.. you have to be pretty well established or very good or well in wiht the right people to get agency work commisioned..

or you can simply freelance like myself.. and always be looking for revenue streams and trying to make ends meet.. i do bits of all the above.. i am my own agency so i get 100% of sales... i do some local newspaper work and i tap into my local market... local sports associations, schools, colleges

i find it hard work and stressy.. i would make more money and do less hrs on the checkout at the supermarket.... but i enjoy every day of my life :)

Kipax - did you just suggest giving photos away in your first paragraph or did something else make me faint?!?

might have been my socks? :)

at grass roots level you would be hard pushed to find anyone paying you to photogrpah... grass roots clubs have no money..i have no qualms about giving them pictures.. however i always stipulate NOT for use on the internet unless they are pics i choose and edit first.... i upload grass roots photogrpahy for people to buy... which is different from club use :)

any grass roots non league type club can have pics off me for there matchday program for example.. i certainly wouldnt charge for that..

You need to build up a portfolio of some sort.. the sports photogrpahy industry for the main part are not interested in your education or if you won awards... all they are interested in is can you take a sports picture... your portfolio will answer that.. quite a few will want to know what equipment you have and in reality top end lens and body will give you more credibility (yeagh i know it shouldnt)

Just to add slightly to that

When i was asked by agency staff for sample/portfolio they specified 8/10 images from the last game I had done rather than a selection of my previous 4/5 games

Back