a castle + BLACK TO WHITE

Nice work Geof, I like that a lot (y)

Nice work Geof, I like that a lot (y)

thanks Boss

good to know i am getting somewhere with all this digital slr and pp stuff

cheers
geof

That rock formation is amazing! Is the building propped up on it?

yes...there is a little alley way between the rock and the building

cheers
geof

It's a Tor; chemical weathering affects the granite along cracks formed when the magma cools and crystallises. They're not uncommon in the southwest, though they don't all have their own castle!

Mike

good info Mike

as you say there are loads of tors around...and on carn brea they seem to be everywhere...are they the results of the ice age retreating?

cheers
geof

Its nice, perhaps a tad under exposed if being nit picky but its really well composed

Thanks Steve
yes a bit u-ex...that is my usual standpoint and although its not quite spot on its how i like my eggs...over light
its a throwback to the days of trannys

will take better care next time

cheers
geof

A very interesting building. I think the colour version is my preference, the black and white has a touch of dark fringing along the top left?
The composition works for me though, with the steps leading in.
Good work Geoff

good info Mike

as you say there are loads of tors around...and on carn brea they seem to be everywhere...are they the results of the ice age retreating?

cheers
geof

Hi Geof

No they aren't the result of ice retreating (glaciers didn't get that far south during the ice ages). Tors form by water getting into the cracks in granite, either hot water from deeper in the crust or rainwater running down from the surface. This breaks down a mineral called feldspar in the granite (turning it into clay). This then gets washed out of the cracks leaving the features you can see in Devon & Cornwall.

Mike

Nice shot, prefer the colour myself, looks a lot like the castle in highlander where Sean Connery fights the curgen.

It's a very interesting building. And it has been taken from a very good position.

There seems to be a bit of a dark halo on the top left of the building in the B&W version though. Not sure whether it was just the way it was, or whether some editing has been applied to the sky, and it's had a negative effect on the transition from sky to building. :shrug: The darkening is not so evident in the colour version.

I like the B&W version, as focuses attention on the details, and the shadow area seems a bit lighter too, but the halo keeps catching my eye. :thinking:

A very interesting building. I think the colour version is my preference, the black and white has a touch of dark fringing along the top left?
The composition works for me though, with the steps leading in.
Good work Geoff

thanks Matty
i will look closely at what you say is fringing...could be there in the colour version as well due to cloning in some sky as this was a pano

cheers
geof

Hi Geof

No they aren't the result of ice retreating (glaciers didn't get that far south during the ice ages). Tors form by water getting into the cracks in granite, either hot water from deeper in the crust or rainwater running down from the surface. This breaks down a mineral called feldspar in the granite (turning it into clay). This then gets washed out of the cracks leaving the features you can see in Devon & Cornwall.

Mike

thanks Mike
i have been reading about the last ice age and the subsequent re population of great britain..its a very interesting subject

cheers
geof

Nice shot, prefer the colour myself, looks a lot like the castle in highlander where Sean Connery fights the curgen.

thanks Steve
didnt see that film but there was some filming around there some years ago as my grandson..now 21..got paid as an extra

cheers
geof

The B&W works a lot better for me and suits the darker exposure

thanks Steve

when i did the black to white i could see a different mood coming over the shot...its the comparison i think we all should make of our colour shots just to see the difference...also there is some red filtration used in the black to white
LR3

cheers
geof

It's a very interesting building. And it has been taken from a very good position.

There seems to be a bit of a dark halo on the top left of the building in the B&W version though. Not sure whether it was just the way it was, or whether some editing has been applied to the sky, and it's had a negative effect on the transition from sky to building. :shrug: The darkening is not so evident in the colour version.

I like the B&W version, as focuses attention on the details, and the shadow area seems a bit lighter too, but the halo keeps catching my eye. :thinking:

thanks RH
that comment has already been made and it emphasises the mistakes one can make converting a pp'd colour shot
in the colour i dodged and burnt some areas of the stonework and the sky
these faults seem more obvious in the black to white
i have advocated not working on pp'd colour shots and using the original for black to white work...and failed to do that
next time i can be thankful you brought that to notice and go back to the basic shot for the conversion

cheers
geof

Back