A Cautionary Tale

While we were in the area a couple of weeks ago, Sue and I drove over the causeway to Holy Island. We even managed to drive back again without having to wait for the tide. I know that this is a non event not worth mentioning, but it serves to keep this thread alive.

Last edited:
While we were in the area a couple of weeks ago, Sue and I drove over the causeway to Holy Island. We even managed to drive back again without having to wait for the tide. I know that this is a non event not worth mentioning, but it serves to keep this thread alive.
Quite a few places around the UK you can be trapped by the tide and people have to be rescued...not about the tide but one secluded place in Ireland scared the s***e out of me at the time (and when I keep thinking back ) was when climbing down a face of a rock at about 45 degree angle, covered in dry moss on a sunny day, very near to a ledge with deep water for fishing......after a while a heavy mist come in from the sea and decided to call it a day and climb back......and you've guessed it when moss is wet. :jawdrop:
Most people (inc me) often don't think of Murphy's law when dealling with the sea.

This is an all too common occurrence up here, it happens at least once every 3 weeks in the summer. The first part of the causeway lulls them into a false sense of hope but the causeway nearest the mainland, where the refuge huts are, rises at some speed.

Saying that a few years ago I had to drive over the causeway in the winter, when there was a near gale force south easterly wind blowing, and it covered the causeway with 2" water even though the tide was right out, that was weird!

We need a wince emote...

Back