Beginner A cautionary tale

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
:withstupid:

Having got some great advice about filters on this forum ( thread earlier this week ) Went out yesterday with new polarising filter to get some practice in. So far so good.
Happily snapping away, adjusting the circular filter to see and experiment with different levels of polarisation.

Unfortunately, I was turning the filter AND unscrewing it at the same time. This act of newbie stupidity caused my filter to come off completely and drop into the bog in which I was standing. ( and sink without trace :()

I suspect I'm not the first to do something like this, though I hope reading this will encourage others to check what they are doing more carefully o_O:D

Lesson learned, I'm off now to buy another polarising filter ( this time I'll be careful with my screwing :rolleyes: )

I once screwed the hot tap completely off while running a bath. The water hit the roof and I couldn't get the bloody thing back on because the water was too hot and got scalded. Oh, how I laughed and the girl I was going with at the time was getting shagged by someone else. Great Friday night that was.:mad:

In 2 thousand years an archaeologist will dig it up...

Just think what fun you two are giving future generations of archaeologists.

I suspect they will be more intrigued (alarmed) by the body than the lens ( compare the reaction to Tutankhamen vs an old flint axe head) :p:D

If I could I would (that's what she said) It sank without trace, precluding reattaching

Have dropped a couple of (surprisingly expensive) lens hoods into fast flowing rivers. I work at a snails pace around water these days, triple checking everything and moving like a badly lubricated robot.

Have dropped a couple of (surprisingly expensive) lens hoods into fast flowing rivers. I work at a snails pace around water these days, triple checking everything and moving like a badly lubricated robot.

I will be working at a similar pace from now on :)
On a lighter note, having told my sister in law about my mishap, it became apparent that when I said "I'd dropped it in a bog" she'd assumed I meant toilet. Not sure what she thought I was taking pics of :ROFLMAO:

I will be working at a similar pace from now on :)
On a lighter note, having told my sister in law about my mishap, it became apparent that when I said "I'd dropped it in a bog" she'd assumed I meant toilet. Not sure what she thought I was taking pics of :ROFLMAO:

Toilet photography would certainly be a relatively unexploited niche. Could be a winner.

Forgot to mention, I think everybody has probably done the old unintentional polariser unwind manoeuvre at some point. A little tip is to always turn it in the direction where it will tighten if you're making big arcs. Obviously for fine tweaks you will need to go backwards a little but never enough to unwind it.

Never happened to me. I screw the filter on so tightly, that it's even hard to take it off intentionally, so I will never accidentally take it off! :cool:

It's a good idea to always turn the polariser in the same direction (clockwise) to stop it coming unscrewed. It's also useful to keep a rubber band or two in your bag to improve your grip when you want to remove or tighten the filter.

Last edited:
It's a good idea to always turn the polariser in the same direction (clockwise) to stop it coming unscrewed. It's also useful to keep a rubber band or two in your bag to improve your grip when you want to remove or tighten the filter.

Excellent couple of tips there, the first I had sussed out as a plan to avoid a repeat, the 2nd is a good 'un too though. Thanks :ty:

Toilet photography would certainly be a relatively unexploited niche. Could be a winner.

I've had enough bother rationalising kit expenditure to the OH , without telling her I've found my niche, and its toilets ;)

Back