A cemetery at sunset - snaps....

Edit My Images
Yes
Took a stroll earlier and shot about 2 dozen frames - just snaps really to get back into the reverse dials on the Nikon control after having used the 5D for a while. Under exposed a tad (2 stops) to create the nice shadows and bring out the lovely sky. Shot on a D700 with the 24-70 with the odd dutch tilt.

3294799583_1b37e8212b.jpg

3295626344_fbef65a2ca.jpg

3294798381_0a7b3b7b85.jpg

3294799027_e408e97eee.jpg

3295625314_bd42929dfa.jpg

3295625852_2d9876fcf9.jpg

I can say that none of these move me in any way. Too many at odd angles and the one I half like (whatever unnumbered one, it may have been) has too central a composition.

i think there is something about your last one i like, however the angle is too severe to appreciate it

just snaps really to get back into the reverse dials on the Nikon control after having used the 5D for a while.

Does this mean you've ditched the 5D II ???

I know you had teething problems. Did I miss something more?

I can say that none of these move me in any way. Too many at odd angles and the one I half like (whatever unnumbered one, it may have been) has too central a composition.

They are called 'Dutch tilt'. Works for me, but I don't think your eye has what is needed to take or even review a photo and you always load your comments with sarcastic retort. Sorry to say.

And before you say I cant take critique, I really can, but you really are the bane of this forum at times.

They are called 'Dutch tilt'. Works for me, but I don't think your eye has what is needed to take or even review a photo and you always load your comments with sarcastic retort. Sorry to say.

And before you say I cant take critique, I really can, but you really are the bane of this forum at times.

It's differences of opinion that keep bookmakers rich. If you don't like my opinions, then the problem is yours. The comment "you always load your comments with sarcastic retort" is demonstrably untrue, I guess it will be a cold day in hell when you retract. I don't think the images are any good, and whatever you may think of my eye, it's my opinion and still valid even if you don't like it/ can't accept it.

It's differences of opinion that keep bookmakers rich. If you don't like my opinions, then the problem is yours. The comment "you always load your comments with sarcastic retort" is demonstrably untrue, I guess it will be a cold day in hell when you retract. I don't think the images are any good, and whatever you may think of my eye, it's my opinion and still valid even if you don't like it/ can't accept it.

Pistols at dawn then is it :nuts:,now that'll be a photoshoot not to missed :D:D

Pistols at dawn then is it :nuts:,now that'll be a photoshoot not to missed :D:D

Not from me. Look at the post counts - twice mine but been here for a shorter period. This guy spams people with overly verbose 'vernacular' and constantly causes irritation. I have met people from the forum who all conclude the same thoughts on his inane drivel.

The evidence is available. Search his posts. He is now on my ignored list.

Actually, (not wanting to throw the cat amongst the pigeons) I prefer the shots with the level horizons to the tilted ones (on this occasion anyway). I can't put my finger on it but it might be because of the high contrast.
Lovely sky in them all and I really like the one with the cross.

I really do like the second three, and I've only just stopped chuckling about the ONE, TWO, THREE!! Hope you're settling back in to the Nikon and look forward to seeing more of your work.

I have to say Pete, your remarks to Russell are well out of order.

Most of the other comments on this thread seem to agree with him, including mine ... :shrug:

I hate to admit it but these are not up to your usual high standard.

If you are going to take this attitude everytime someone posts a neutral comment, maybe you should start posting in the "Fluffy Kittens and Cotton Wool" section.

Put me on ignore too if you want .... See if I care.

What a miserable thread..... I think you should all get back in your boxes... He said the were just snaps in the original post.

I love the sky in the first set. That blue is fantastic, Id love to manage getting this tone and colour into my shots. Is this mainly down to the 2 stops under or did you PP these?

I have to say Pete, your remarks to Russell are well out of order.

Most of the other comments on this thread seem to agree with him, including mine ... :shrug:

I hate to admit it but these are not up to your usual high standard.

If you are going to take this attitude everytime someone posts a neutral comment, maybe you should start posting in the "Fluffy Kittens and Cotton Wool" section.

Put me on ignore too if you want .... See if I care.

Not at all. He has been 'gunning' for me since I defended Pete Carr a while back. You can disagree all you like. No problem to me. As other people said, I snapped them to refresh myself with the Nikon control system but thought that the sky looked cool.

As for the cottton wool section, no need, quite happy with what people have said and not loosing sleep over it.

What a miserable thread..... I think you should all get back in your boxes... He said the were just snaps in the original post.

I love the sky in the first set. That blue is fantastic, Id love to manage getting this tone and colour into my shots. Is this mainly down to the 2 stops under or did you PP these?

Thanks. Straight out of the camera, but I put it into vivid mode.:)

Thanks, well I like them. The first edit is ace also

I will admit to having discovered that I'm not overkeen on pictures with a severe angle, feels like my brains "doesn't like it", just how I feel the same about HDRs but this is my personal feeling and nothing to do with your photography efforts.
I'm wondering that in this case it may be more to do with the subject matter rather than the technicality of it all. Does this kind of thing work with gravestones? Probably would do, but I would've thought the "Dutch tilt" method works with fast cars, sexy girls and urban settings but I could be wrong on this.
But it's not all bad as I love the forth picture. That's got a charm of it's own and has the looks of setting out what it was supposed to be doing.
Or perhaps that's just me being boring. :D

Oh, one additional thing. I thought the second set worked much better on me, even with the altered hues. :) But not too sure about the letterbox format, though. I'd like to see them as full framed and larger in size (feels like a lot of details had been lost in the smallness of those pictures).

Last edited:
I think they are all spectacular.
I think that probably comes from a desire to be able to take landscapes as good as this :LOL:

Really great set, like em all (y)

I think the first 2 edits are big improvement on the original set, but I'd still have preferred see a shade more detail left in the shadows.

Back