A choice between

Edit My Images
Yes
I'd like to get a relatively lightweight camera for trips and everyday photos without having to carry round a tripod and that wouldn't need a huge bag to cart round. At the moment I've narrowed my choice down to an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mkii or the newer Fuji SX10. I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons online and of course at the moment I can't go and try either out. Image stabilisation is a must and a reasonable range of not too expensive lenses. I have. budget of no more than £1,500. Any thoughts or advice very gratefully received.

Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-70mm f/4 Lens
Could be your perfect solution.
Only £1500 from Panamoz . See link below

Blimey, there's a huge range of mirrorless out there so you'd be best read the specs. I get great results from my low end canon mirrorless stuff. Easily fits in a pouch on my belt. My longer lens is very light too and fits in my pocket. Sorry I can't be more help

Depends how picky you are on IQ? You can get relatively lightweight FF camera and lens combos, which is my preference these days. That being said, the Olympus EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 was my travel setup for a while and I was always happy with the results.

The Sony A6xxx series are also worth a look.

Wow ,it’s nice to see someone’s actually planning on trips , is that where you leave your house/area and go to another location ?... .. anyway if it’s good I.S or I.b.I.s then the Olympus is definetly the one

If you are interested in the em1.2, HDEW have it in ( new) at 599 quid at the moment - they are grey imports but have a 3 year uk based warranty - I bought a lot from them some years ago when they sold nikon.

Almost impossible to suggest a milc: just so much depends on what you to photo but it is a compact system with good picture quality unless you really have to push iso to v high values.

I have a em5.1 which I got about 7? years ago and it has had hard use. The thing I like about m43 is the huge range of glass - mostly v good - at all prices ( used ) and all sizes from the diminutive oly 1.8 primes to the hefty pro glass.

The lenses I use(d) most are the two pan kit lenses: 12-42 ( not used much now ) and 45-150 together with oly 25 and 45 1.8 primes, the 60 macro, 9-18, and a pan 100-300. I also have the oly pro 2.8 12-40 and that is the one I tend to leave on the body.

I also have a fairly full Nikon 1 system which is even more compact and has the cx 70-300. It is that which tends to get shoved into cabin bags on easyjet. This system is not recommended for the fainthearted - you are always fighting noise with the 1 inch sensor - far more than with m43.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second the EM1 MkII and the 12-40 F/2.8 Pro. Fabulous setup and terrific value. I too bought from HDEW. I also have the 17mm F/1.8 prime which is compact and very good.

To get the most of it if you do buy it I recommend getting Darrell Young's 'Mastering the EM1 MkII' book which, despite not having the V3 firmware changes in it (they may follow as an addendum) is still a terrific resource for setting up the camera how you want to use it.

Gavin Hoey on youtube is also a good source of info on setting the Olympus cameras up (y)

I would suggest looking at the Olympus 12-45 if you decide on the E-M1 ii
Much smaller and lighter than the 12-40, if my experience is anything to go by equally good and maybe slightly better.

I have the EM1-ii with a few lenses for travel/hiking, and an EM10-iii with pancake 14mm for pocketable use eg street, minimalist travel. Both are excellent cameras imho.

Thank you, all. Really helpful and seems pretty unanimous. I guess the Fuji SX10 is too new to get any real time considerations.

Thank you, all. Really helpful and seems pretty unanimous. I guess the Fuji SX10 is too new to get any real time considerations.
My advice would be to try them both yourself, assuming you can wait until after lockdown. Fuji have a large fanbase and if you love them you love them and nothing else is better. Fuji files SOOC tend to be very nice and people like the film simulations. Fuji files have been plagued with artefacts in the past due to the x-trans processor, but today they are much better and for 99% of the time they're not an issue.

I would suggest that the reason you're getting more votes for Olympus on here is probably a lot down to budget. Fuji lenses tend to be more expensive and the cost of the system can soon start to get pricey. Also, the Olympus gear mentioned is "pro level" meaning it's built like a tank, weather proof and will take pretty much anything you can throw at it. The Fuji is more of a consumer camera and as a result build quality isn't on the same level, and I don't believe it's even weather sealed. Of course, all of this might not matter to you.

Back