A co-operative centipede or why newspaper is great

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
It is unusual for centipedes to co-operate but this one stayed still long enough for a couple of photos which I then stacked and it went to explore on flickr. To help overcome the small size of my garden I have blueberries etc in pots and some of them have newspaper round the plant to suppress weeds, this is a great habitat for woodlice, springtails and of course centipedes etc. I have quite a few pots so I can leave them alone for weeks between photo shots. The biggest disadvantage is that it a) it looks untidy and b) sometimes family members remove them when I am not looking
Centipede stack of 2 photos EF7A2822 by davholla2002, on Flickr

I thought that this springtail had also been good but I discovered that is antennae were different in every single shot of the 10 I took - never mind still a nice specimen, from the top of my water butt. I regularly find about 4-5 species in the garden but only this one is on top of the water butt.
Springtail EF7A2925 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Nice shots.A bit of a red colour cast perhaps on the springtail, could try altering the White balance a bit.

Last edited:
Nice shots.A bit of a red colour cast perhaps on the springtail, could try altering the White balance a bit.
I think you could be right, I don't think the water butt is that colour, I didn't change the colour in editing, maybe the white balance should have been set to flash.

Nicely shot David
That springtail is not the right colour try setting the WB to daylight in PP if shot in RAW and it should be a good place to start as flash is daylight balanced.

Nicely shot David
That springtail is not the right colour try setting the WB to daylight in PP if shot in RAW and it should be a good place to start as flash is daylight balanced.
Thanks I will try that, I can choose in darktable a defined white balance for my camera so it should be easy or I could just reduce the red a bit.

Back