A Collage

Edit My Images
Yes
thought I'd have a go at a wedding collage.... :)

collage1.jpg

Tastefully done M. Only thing I'd do different is the top left photo and put it on the left so she's not looking out of the picture.(y)

Nice collage Marianne, with some lovely individual shots in their own right.

thanks Kev, there was something about her that wasn't right and you've hit the nail on the head. Although, I didn't want to move her to the other side and she looked odd if I flipped her so I've moved the images around a bit...I think it looks more balanced now :)

collage2.jpg

OMG! I don't like it and I pretty much always like your work. It'll be very popular I'm sure but when I look at that one, I can't see anything. It's all clamouring for my attention and my eye gets a bit lost and then gives up.

I'd go for a less is more approach with montages, as the spaces are as important as the images to me.

Anyway, just my 2p's worth. :)

have to disagree with dazzajl - I really like it
but more important
how did the happy couple like it? - after all it was their big day
gets (y)(y) from me

OMG! I don't like it and I pretty much always like your work. It'll be very popular I'm sure but when I look at that one, I can't see anything. It's all clamouring for my attention and my eye gets a bit lost and then gives up.

I'd go for a less is more approach with montages, as the spaces are as important as the images to me.

Anyway, just my 2p's worth. :)

But you ought to see it L A R G E .....

Space is everything, as you say, and L A R G E is spacey and with it? -- there is impact!

hey, I'm used to having an opinion shared by a group of one. :LOL:

I'm also used to seeing stuff I don't like much. I'm not used to seeing anything from Marianne I don't like though. Which is why it stood out. ;)

I can see how it could be a different prospect big enough to go nose to nose with and take in all the detail.

hey, I'm used to having an opinion shared by a group of one. :LOL:

I'm also used to seeing stuff I don't like much. I'm not used to seeing anything from Marianne I don't like though. Which is why it stood out. ;)

I can see how it could be a different prospect big enough to go nose to nose with and take in all the detail.

Ha ha! I've had the benefit all afternoon of seeing this collage grow..... and it's a sea of faces you don't know.

We spent ages with this couple so I guess we've got to know and recognize them - you're seeing them for the first time so it's easy to appreciate you're having to concentrate more to make any sense of it.

It's like that, perhaps in reverse, with us with all the weddings we're doing at the moment. We get to dislike our own work because we're becoming too familiar with the images, so we don't have the initial "wow" impact our clients are having. It's got to the point where even we don't believe in ourselves sometimes. I'd like to get CT's take on this at some point. Is it a case of an enjoyable hobby becoming a tedious exercise?

Sorry, if I seemed defensive, but the larger image is quite impressive.

Sorry, if I seemed defensive

:LOL::LOL: I'd be more worried if you weren't.

You have hit on one of the biggest issues of shooting in the commercial world that I struggle with. As you say, it's almost impossible to get that big impact from your own work after a while. Then you start to really notice how other peoples work can have a much greater impact on you and then the doubt starts to creep in.

You just have to accept that you'll never be wowed by work you've been so immersed in, the way you can be by something presented to you totally fresh in it's finished state.

I'll bet my house that your clients are bowled over by the shots you present them with. THAT IS YOUR REAL WOW FACTOR!!!

I have been wanting to do this sort of thing with a different subject matter. Can i ask if you used dedicated collage softwareor is it a Photoshop thing?

I like it looks good on here, bet it looks great bigger, might have to try something like this with some of our wedding shots. Really wish we had know you back then, could have done ours and then done this with our wedding shots.

Good idea marianna and done well, in my eyes.

I like it looks good on here, bet it looks great bigger, might have to try something like this with some of our wedding shots. Really wish we had know you back then, could have done ours and then done this with our wedding shots.

Good idea marianna and done well, in my eyes.

I still can ;)

I have been wanting to do this sort of thing with a different subject matter. Can i ask if you used dedicated collage softwareor is it a Photoshop thing?
I used photoshop from start to finish.Lots of layers and guides to help me. No other software involved :)

The shot looks good.

I have to say my eyes are going all over the place wondering which one to fix on...

But as has been pointed out, if it was on a large canvas you would take each mini photo in their own right.

Nicely done :)

I'd like to get CT's take on this at some point. Is it a case of an enjoyable hobby becoming a tedious exercise?

Stepping into the jaws of instant death I know, but I'm not keen on it. Far too many images crowded into there I think. I'm not too sure about the drop shadows either. Overall it doesn't look balanced - it looks like the images have been arranged where you could fit them in being the prime consideration. Sorry Maz, your stuff normally looks much better and tastefully done.

Hey it's only my opinion and I was wrong once I think - can't remember now. :LOL:

Personally I'd go for less pics and softer vignette edges so they don't look quite so harsh against the faded bg pic.

Stepping into the jaws of instant death I know, but I'm not keen on it. Far too many images crowded into there I think. I'm not too sure about the drop shadows either. Overall it doesn't look balanced - it looks like the images have been arranged where you could fit them in being the prime consideration. Sorry Maz, your stuff normally looks much better and tastefully done.

Hey it's only my opinion and I was wrong once I think - can't remember now. :LOL:

Personally I'd go for less pics and softer vignette edges so they don't look quite so harsh against the faded bg pic.

I've had a mixed response to this Collage. Which is good...thank you. I will take on board the comments and see if they change the way I produce my work. :) I personally dislike with a passion the cheesy collages other photographers produce. I wouldn't want to be known for one like that at all. I also think that unless you see this LARGE then you're not really seeing it :shrug:...and who's this Maz? :LOL:

The drop shadows were easy enough. I double clicked on the layer to bring up the layer styles pallette and I adjusted the drop shadow from there. In order to add the effect to other layers I simply right clicked on the layer and copied the layer style, pasting it on each new layer as I made it. You can also drop the effects onto other layers...HTH Marianne :)

LOL. At the end of the day Marianne, you have to trust your own instinct. Some lovely shots there btw. :wave:

any feedback from the two people who really matter?

Who? Marianne and I? We love it...... :clap:.... Oh, you mean the B & G..... dunno ....

'Tis in the post... they should've received them today!

Having looked at this for a while I think the thing I don't like about it is that its all a bit grey - I wondered whether bleaching out a lot of the background in the main back shot would help - the images look a little dull against a grey back.

I know that this isn't easy with the shot you have but do you see what I mean??

(as always my opinion - I could be wrong)

Hate to go back over this but what did the B & G think, bet they loved it.

Good I am glad they liked it.
Going to consider doing something like this with some photos we have. Do you mind me asking how you did it, so I know where to start.

Posted twice, sorry.

Good I am glad they liked it.
Going to consider doing something like this with some photos we have. Do you mind me asking how you did it, so I know where to start.

Open a blank page A3 300 dpi white

find an image with some space around it and crop it to A3 300dpi and drag it over

Fade that layer to about 50%

make a square crop tool to the size you want at 300 dpi

crop into the photos you want to add using that square crop tool and drag over to the main image

add a drop shadow

to allign the images I use rulers and move them about until they are aligned as I like

does this help?

ask away! :wacky:

Back