A compact US Roadtrip

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just been lucky enough to spend 10 days or so haring round the canyon-lands of Utah and Northern Arizona. The landscape and scenery there matched up to every scrap of praise I have ever heard about it.

I knew that I was going to get to photograph some of the most inspirational places on the planet but sadly, I also knew that there wouldn't be time for any "real" photography. So I headed off with nothing more than my little panny LX2 in my pocket and and big bag of denial. I wouldn't even miss having a camera...... of course not.

In the end we had quite an adventure and it survived a monsoon and hail storm combined, while I stood in the open waiting for a lightning strike. It coped with a couple hairy slides down cliffs and a drenching when we fell into the cascade waterfall. Not to mention heat that melted my phone into total submission.

Oddly, the limitations of this little box were a blessing in disguise and once you get your head around how to best tackle the visions you have for what you see in front on you, you learn to shoot to it's advantages. It's a very pure form of image making compared to bags and bodies and lenses and tripods and filters etc. etc. etc.

Being totally inspired by Duncan's (weddinghack) amazing roadtrip slide presentations, I thought I'd try out the software and make a little scrapbook of this trip.

Please come with me to Canyon Land USA.

http://homepage.mac.com/lightfall.uk/utah/

All comments happily received but please remember....... re-shooting will not be easy. ;)

very cool, love them

Wonderful, simply wonderful. There are a good few of those that would grace any wall. I wish I new how to use the technology to produce that kind of thing it works really well and it also goes to show what you can produce with a simpler tool than we normally lug around.
Thanks for showing mate, made my day.

Andy

Cheers folks. It is such a blast to be freed from all the clutter when out shooting.

A stunning set Daz.
It was worth getting wet for that lightning shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Spence

Sadly that wasn't the one I was after in the rain. After taking that we chased the storm up the canyon, got ahead and I lay in wait for my pray. All the other snappers ran like mascara at the end of a chick flick when the heavens opened but panny and me, stood our ground. In the rain and hail for a a quarter of an hour. We were both soaked through but didn't get the shot I wanted. :crying::crying:

Even in 100 degrees plus it took nearly a day for the poor little bugger to dry out and come back to life. By the time we went down the waterfall it had obviously gotten used to it though. No troubles at all. :)

So anyone want to buy a mint LX2? :LOL:

Thankyou sir! Very high praise from a real landscape shooter.

Working with a slide show is very different. The lesser shots that make the cut do get a boost of impact from the short view and the music. Some of those that I've chosen to use fit very well in there but I wouldn't have used them as standalone. Then again there are a few pics there that would stand a longer look.

Swings and roundabout I supose. Which amazingly, they have started using in Arizona. :eek:

Really enjoyed that slideshow and the music !
all cracking shots, you brought out some fantastic detail to people who've never been there and showed more than just skylines of the canyons.

Simply stunning shots, just goes to show it's not all about the camera at all, thanks for sharing them :)

It is a fabulous place to go photograph Graham. Even the simplest things are different enough to turn anyone into a giddy school kid who wants to see more than is ever going to be possible.

Thanks wack, it's odd that actually there are quite a few shots there that wouldn't have been possible with DSLR. The depth of field you can get with the lens at it's widest (4mm) is mighty impressive. So in some way, you could almost say that it is really down to the camera. :)

Ooo ma gawd, that's proper Velvia country..

I say Ooo ma gawd, because the pics are fablious..

Some beautiful shots - thanks for sharing.

Fantastic set, thanks for posting. You have definitely whetted my appetite as I'm going there next month doing a big circular road trip from Vegas, up to Moab via zion and bryce canyon, then down to Canyon de Chelly via the wonderfully named Mexican Hat. Finally back to Vegas via the Grand Canyon. I've forgotten a few places along the way too I'm sure.

Equipment greed has got the better of me though and I'll be taking all the gear. I can't wait.

Ooo ma gawd, that's proper Velvia country..

I say Ooo ma gawd, because the pics are fablious..

Thankyou sir, and bells. It is somewhere that a person could lose the rest of their life with a LF camera and that exact thought is still running round and round in my head. :LOL:

Fantastic set, thanks for posting. You have definitely whetted my appetite as I'm going there next month doing a big circular road trip from Vegas, up to Moab via zion and bryce canyon, then down to Canyon de Chelly via the wonderfully named Mexican Hat. Finally back to Vegas via the Grand Canyon. I've forgotten a few places along the way too I'm sure.

Equipment greed has got the better of me though and I'll be taking all the gear. I can't wait.

Ran you are going to have the most amazing time, I hope you cram something into every available second. Canyon de Chelly is the most wonderful place of them all for me. Very off the beaten track compared to the "big names" but so very worth the effort.

Fantastic set there Daz... really fantastic.

As Neal says... I dip my hat to you too!

If you're in the vicinity of Mexican Hat, then you've GOT to go up Mokey Dugway. And drive up Highway 95. And then up to Arches NP, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point near Arches. Then go to Moab airport and get a scenic flight with Redtail - the 3 hour one which takes you over Canyonlands, down to and around Monument Valley, land for a short break then back. Views out of this world. South side of Grand Canyon is much better than north side.

Nearly forgot - Antelope Canyon, near Page.

And Dazza......great pictures. Music?............hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Gotta be the best thing I have seen on here, excellent choice of music to compliment your slide show.
I luv the caravan (trailer) shot.

If you're in the vicinity of Mexican Hat, then you've GOT to go up Mokey Dugway. And drive up Highway 95. And then up to Arches NP, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point near Arches.

:plus1:

Have to say, those are some of the best shots I've seen on TP in a long time. Very well done... and even better given that you'd shot those on a point and shoot. The LX series of cameras are very capable and I love my LX3 but you seem to have mastered the little thing.

Thankyou Jonn, truly...... and misterE, I'll gladly take that 50%

Stunning...

What is an LX2? If I get one, will it make my photographs even near as good as these?

I don't think so....
Thankyou! The real question here is would it make you enjoy taking pics as much I had a blast taking these...... you know it probably would. :D

Gotta be the best thing I have seen on here, excellent choice of music to compliment your slide show.
I luv the caravan (trailer) shot.
Stunningly flattered doesn't even begin to cover it. You really must go and see the thread that gave me the idea to put this together.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=38742&highlight=roadtrip

A slight confession on that particular shot, if you look a little closer you can see the tell tale specs of a phone camera image.

Have to say, those are some of the best shots I've seen on TP in a long time. Very well done... and even better given that you'd shot those on a point and shoot. The LX series of cameras are very capable and I love my LX3 but you seem to have mastered the little thing.

Ta very muchly indeed. They are such great little boxes and really do allow you to get creative in all sorts of ways. I really am keen on upgrading to a 3 for the ability to shoot in lower light though. I do have a little more reach on the tele end but when I get there i'm in the neighborhood of f5.6 and you're at 2.8, plus you have a usable 200 and 400 ISO.

Ran you are going to have the most amazing time, I hope you cram something into every available second. Canyon de Chelly is the most wonderful place of them all for me. Very off the beaten track compared to the "big names" but so very worth the effort.

Thanks and apologies for the late reply. It's been a boozy weekend and I've only just got a chance to see the replies.

If you're in the vicinity of Mexican Hat, then you've GOT to go up Mokey Dugway. And drive up Highway 95. And then up to Arches NP, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point near Arches. Then go to Moab airport and get a scenic flight with Redtail - the 3 hour one which takes you over Canyonlands, down to and around Monument Valley, land for a short break then back. Views out of this world. South side of Grand Canyon is much better than north side.

Nearly forgot - Antelope Canyon, near Page.

Thanks MisterE. We are heading the other way but we've got a couple of nights in Moab. We're definitely doing Arches but are giving Canyonlands a miss to go white water rafting. There's only so much time available and we're on a fairly strict timetable (and budget) so will probably have to give the scenic flight a miss too but it sounds amazing. We will be seeing Monument Valley when we stay at Mexican Hat though. I'm going to have a look at Dead Horse Point now and see if we can fit it in.

Mokey Dugway sounds interesting. We only have a standard saloon car so not sure how well it would cope with a road like that. I've seen somewhere saying maximum recommended speed is 5mph :eek:.

Mokey Dugway sounds interesting. We only have a standard saloon car so not sure how well it would cope with a road like that. I've seen somewhere saying maximum recommended speed is 5mph :eek:.

Standard saloon car is fine. Mokey Dugway is a windey road up a mountain with a fantastic view. Camper vans go up it. There are a couple of pictures in my TP gallery. You can see a bit of the road in one of the pictures. It has some tight bends but the surface and width are ok.

Standard saloon car is fine. Mokey Dugway is a windey road up a mountain with a fantastic view. Camper vans go up it. There are a couple of pictures in my TP gallery. You can see a bit of the road in one of the pictures. It has some tight bends but the surface and width are ok.

Thanks(y) We've added it to the route.

Wow! Just goes to show.... it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it!!! An excellent set of shots that I really enjoyed looking at.

Well that was a very enjoyable near 6mins, lovely shots and same for the wonderfull presentation...excellent:clap:

What a gorgeous slide show. I love the texture and how the light is thrown onto the rock face inside those caves.
Good work!

Thanks(y) We've added it to the route.

You'll be amazed at where you can get to with a hire car and some determination. :D

Thankyou very much all. Ian, the caves are actually antelope canyon which is the most unusual place I've ever seen. The "entrance" is really something and you could actually trip over it and not ever know you were there.

Good stuff Dazz, looks like we went to a lot of the same places. Antelope Canyon is something else isn't it ?

A visit from the master. :notworthy::LOL:

I think I'd still be down there if it wasn't for the firm return booking. The whole experience there is so understated after the national parks. Next time, I'd like to shoot on 5x4, just for an extreme change. :)

Fab AV.... felt back there...Excellent, thank you.

Took a trip there about 8 years ago, it was a remarkable and memorable trip and as much as I loved the Grand Canyon I got more from Sedona. I had one of those panoramic cameras then, lots of films, cost a fortune and I don't even know where the photos are now!

That's an excellent set. If you hadn't mentioned it there's no way I'd have known used used a compact. The slot canyon pictures are fab. I've got the LX3 and it's a cracking camera - I just dont use it enough. Memo to self - take compact camera everywhere.

Wow, what an amazing seto fo photos, that's another destination for my future holiday list I think!

Very kind words all of you and very happy you liked it. :)

Fab AV.... felt back there...Excellent, thank you.

Took a trip there about 8 years ago, it was a remarkable and memorable trip and as much as I loved the Grand Canyon I got more from Sedona. I had one of those panoramic cameras then, lots of films, cost a fortune and I don't even know where the photos are now!

Oak creek canyon is one of my most favourite places in the whole world. Did you get a chance to take a walk up there at all?

That's an excellent set. If you hadn't mentioned it there's no way I'd have known used used a compact. The slot canyon pictures are fab. I've got the LX3 and it's a cracking camera - I just dont use it enough. Memo to self - take compact camera everywhere.

You really should spend some time getting to know it better. Mine is my fave camera by miles at the mo and the 3 looks to be even more versatile.

like them all. wish any of mine came out like that.

To be totally blunt neil, it pretty much feels like you'd get a good shot in these places if you dropped the camera and it went off by accident.

Wow, what an amazing seto fo photos, that's another destination for my future holiday list I think!

Do go if you can. Flights to Phoenix or Vegas can be had for surprisingly little most of the year and accommodation is cheap(ish) too.

don't know how this passed by me..but glad i somehow found it,great shots daz...spectacular :clap:

Being compact can make it harder to spot in amongst all the big stuff. ;)

Brilliant...wow!
And some great advive in the thread aswell. We plan to go in 2012, hope to fly to Denver and spend 2 weeks driving to Vegas thru Rockies, 4 corners, Monument Valley, Antelope + Bryce canyons, Zion NP and of coarse the Grand.

Superb shots fella.

Back