A Complete Newbie :)

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just got a canon eos 450d and i love taking photos however i havnt got a clue on how to use the camera to its full potential. I also do not understand the language of photography:amstupid:. So can anyone help me!!! :ty:

Its knowing where to start... Google is your friend! The best thing to do is just play with the camera and google anything you dont understand. You should also research apertures and shutter speeds.

You can't beat getting out and about and taking pictures. That's the way you learn. And to make it even better than it was in the days of film, it costs you nothing to make the mistakes.

So I'd say just get out taking photos of things. Any thing and everything. Keep at it and you'll get there eventually. Badger

I always advise people who know absolutely nothing about photography to go to the library and get children's books on photography.
They explain things very clearly, including photographis terms, and have lots of pictures and examples.
Once you grasp the basics get lots of other photography books from the library, they do not have to be modern or have digital in the title, the basics are the same now as they were in film days.

I recommend purchasing PhotoPlus Canon magazine. It's available monthly and has been an excellent source of inspiration to me in the 18 months or so it has been going.

The PIP (photographers institute press) guide book for my model was also useful to me. I imagine there is one out for the 450d now.

how about doing a two day course at your local college, they should answer the basics in two days. Mabey write down some of the common words that arise in photography like iso, shutter speed, white ballance, apeture etc. & google them. (y)

In Cardiff we have an organisation (Ffotogallery) who offer about a dozen courses three times a year at the arts centre. They also do exhibitions, offer critique and other stuff. I've been on a couple of courses and would recommend them or similar in your area.

All of the above advice is good.Another really useful resource is your camera manual.Read it,then read it again and again.The first thing you need to understand is the relationship between Aperture (Av), shutterspeed (Tv) and ISO.Pretty much everything depends and flows from that holy trinity.Full auto (the green square) automatically adjusts those three in camera to give you an ok shot.What you may like to try is setting your camera to Av.This will give you manual control over depth of field whilst the camera will automatically select the correct shutter and film speed.Playing around in that setting should help to get you started.Dont lose heart ---mistakes cost nothing in the digital world.Read as much as you can and shoot as much as you can.You will soon get the hang of it---if a pic is really important dont be afraid to use the full auto function---its ok! You may want to check out ebay where you can probably get hold of a 450D tutorial DVD which would be a big help.Above all enjoy your camera.

Back