A complimentory compact

Edit My Images
No
When I brought my 350D I sold my compact Canon G5.

Now further down the line I have brought all the lenses I think I need for the time being and I am happy with them. I have learnt most of what I need to know technically and from a days shooting there are very little to no technically incorrect shots i.e exposure, DOF e.t.c they are just for the most part boring, flat and uninteresting :)

So I am now looking at what I consider the most difficult aspect of photograpy being seeing, compostion and general knowing when to use what creative type shot.

I think with this part of the learning process the more practice the better. With all my SLR equipment unless I am going out with the intension of a photography session my camera don't leave the house. It's a a rucksack full of equipment that's not only not quick and easy to setup but a concern to leave lying about at work or in the car.

Taking the obvious huge DOF and other disadvantages out of the equation. I was thinking of getting a really light, in you pocket small compact. I could carry it everywhere in my pocket and pop it out anytime to play with compostion and seeing. Sometimes I even see potential shots when I occasionaly walk home from work. Nothing special but stuff I would like to try out.

Anyway so what I am getting at is I am considering buying a cheapy but not too crappy compact.

My question is does anyone else use one for this purpose? Also does anyone have recommendations?

The Canon A530 is highly recommended by Ken Rockwell (professional photographer)

That's a good idea (I can hear the rustle of divorce papers if I ran that by the missus!) ... anyway ... The A530 has a 1.8" screen compared to the 2.5" of the A540 which replaced it - Very positive review of the latter HERE fyi ... Paul ;)

If It was me, I'd be after another G5. It's certainly one of the nicest compacts around.

Then again, it's a bit big for small pockets.:LOL:

I use a Nikon S3 as my pocket camera. It makes excellent captures.

I use my Ixus i5 for taking anywhere i don't want to take the SLR :) It's tiny (quite a bit smaller than my phone) and takes ok photos!

You don't need a camera to learn aboutr composition. Look at images wherever you can. Look to see what you think makes them good compositions, look through your 350D viewfinder and train your eye to start looking in the real world like that.

I'm not sure whether buying a compact will help?

I had a G6 and loved it but sold it to finance my 20D, I have a Pentax Optio which is bomb proof so ideal for my caving and climbing trips but recently I have been thinking about getting the new G7 for when I can't be bothered to carry the slr.

I bought recently a Nikon L6 and am just delighted with the results...so much so I bought my Sister one for her 70th Birthday and she too is over the moon with it...

Am wondering now when my D50 will get taken out :thinking: :)

You don't need a camera to learn aboutr composition. Look at images wherever you can. Look to see what you think makes them good compositions, look through your 350D viewfinder and train your eye to start looking in the real world like that.

I'm not sure whether buying a compact will help?

I do compose (if thats the right term) while looking around me all the time but I think the only way to really learn is to take photo's and as I said that is not often enough with my SLR. The compact is quick and convenient. I intend to carry it with me everywhere I go. Also you can take loads of shots with compact without worry of shutter wear. If I find a good composition in a shot I have teken with the compact and I feel it is a good shot then I can go back when the light is right and make big deal out of it with my SLR.

One of the best compacts on the market at the moment is the Fuji F10/F11/F30/F31 - pick whichever suits your budget! They are each newer than the last but with only minor changes.

Seconded. I have the F10 and it's great. Very good in low light (goes up to ISO 1600).

The F30/31 do have a lot of manual control. Shutter/Aperture prority and numerous "creative" modes. They also shoot up to ISO 3200.

Check sample pics here. All taken with F10/11/30:

http://www.photo.net/photos/hpic

I do compose (if thats the right term) while looking around me all the time but I think the only way to really learn is to take photo's and as I said that is not often enough with my SLR. The compact is quick and convenient. I intend to carry it with me everywhere I go. Also you can take loads of shots with compact without worry of shutter wear. If I find a good composition in a shot I have teken with the compact and I feel it is a good shot then I can go back when the light is right and make big deal out of it with my SLR.

I think my point is that "quick" compositions are generally snap shots. You need to take time and think about composition as well as depth of field and how you want the image to look. In my mind a digital compactr will not provide this however if you do as you say then the compact is ideal to provide a record of where you seen a particular view.

Bear in mind that no matter the scene it will only be there once. The nextr time you go back it will be different (sometimes better sometimes (usually worse!).

I see what you say though and yes it can be a help.

Back