A couple from abram motorpark.

Its a no. Selective colouring is gimmicky at best, but I'm afraid that these selective colour edits haven't been done properly anyway e.g: patchy inconsistent colouring (look at the face through the visors). Anything like this needs to add to an image, not detract from it.

Hope that helps,

Christo

They are slective clolour, they are intended to be gimmicky & i had already noticed the face on the 2nd and 3rd pics, would you care to elaborate on how it should be done properly.

I don't mean to be argumentative but how can you state it detracts from from the image if you haven't seen the original images? the top 3 shots were throwaway shots which i thought id have a play with so nothing lost there.

Last edited:
You asked for comments and criticism and whether it worked. I answered and told you why. You hadn't mentioned you already knew they were gimmicky, or that you already noticed the faces etc.

It's a bit harsh asking for C&C, getting it, and then not liking what you hear. Why ask for C&C at all?

There are numerous tutorials on selective colouring around - have a google as there are some great ones about.

I don't mean to be argumentative but how can you state it detracts from from the image if you haven't seen the original images?
Because the use of selective colour and the way it's been applied doesn't work. Some of the images a good, and are being spoilt by the processing, not being enhanced by it. Taking my view on S/C out of it, it has still be applied badly, so some work on this would be good.

Ok, Fair point, and i am grateful for you taking the time to reply.

I just thought it went without saying that selective colour is gimmicky, it's not that i didn't like what i heard its that you didn't expand on what you said.

The original images (or at least the first 3) all have major flaws in the originals through over exposure and never looked any good at all, they was actually improved by adding this editing but you couldn't know that because you haven't seen the originals, that was my other point.

Again, Christo thank you for your replies. (y)

Not really for me either I'm afraid, the technique is usually best employed to draw attention to the subject. I'm not sure the dirt is what people want to be focusing on but rather the bike and rider (maybe if it was streaming up in a wave but in these instances it's just the um ground). Of course it's all subjective, execution wise as mentioned you could be more precise with your masking and selection but as you say it's probably not worth spending too much time on shots you aren't particularly satisfied with in the first place

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Johnathan.

Masking ? i turned down all colours other than orange (& red in 1). :p
Unfortunately i don't have your photoshop skills, in fact i have no photoshop skills at all and im only just beginning to get a feel for it.

My request above for Christo to elaborate was a genuine one, i have no idea how this should be done properly and tbh im probably not that bothered, i like to mess with throwaway shots in lightroom but this isn't something that i could see myself doing intentionally, but having said that probably would have a read if a link was posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Johnathan.

Masking ? i turned down all colours other than orange (& red in 1). :p
Unfortunately i don't have your photoshop skills, in fact i have no photoshop skills at all and im only just beginning to get a feel for it.

My request above for Christo to elaborate was a genuine one, i have no idea how this should be done properly and tbh im probably not that bothered, i like to mess with throwaway shots in lightroom but this isn't something that i could see myself doing intentionally, but having said that probably would have a read if a link was posted.

Understood, same here always worth a punt and you can only learn through experimentation. The problem with turning down the colours is you'll get the patchy results where colours mix, the best way is to get in close and mask off (or select around) areas you want to desaturate and vice versa. There's loads of ways to do it depending on what software you use. But yea a quick google of selective colouring tutorial will give you some in depth instructions which you can pick and choose from :)

To be honest this is quite a good technique to try for learning how to use the tools in image editing software (but as a result, and as you pointed out it's quite prolific and generally scoffed at).

All the best

Back