A couple from the Lake District

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Hi all!

So, I went camping in the Lake District (stayed at Castlerigg Hall campsite near Keswick - which I'll happily recommend) this weekend. Beautiful weather for it, and I managed to get out and take a few photos whilst enjoying the amazing scenery. Was my first visit there, certainly won't be my last :)

1)
3919590496_d1d2aa1f8a_o.jpg

2)
3919805215_248bd39c89_o.jpg

3) - Wanted a desaturated, muted effect on this one
3920589298_4a132c2fa2_o.jpg

4) - But then I had a play, and kinda liked how it worked out...
3920588810_3f6ce3c0b9_o.jpg

All shot with my Canon 500D, the standard EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, 1, 3, 4 had the B+W ND110, and 2 had a ND4 soft grad.

Bigger of all on my flickr

Thanks for looking! :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah, you did good :clap:

That's a nice series. I really like your compositions and you got a good one of the stones which I've found quite difficult to shoot especially when there are people plastered all over them.

Oh yeah, you did good :clap:

That's a nice series. I really like your compositions and you got a good one of the stones which I've found quite difficult to shoot especially when there are people plastered all over them.

Thanks - the stones really weren't easy at all - the amount of stone huggers :wacky: and togs that descended right at the stroke of sunset... including one complete arse who set up directly opposite where I had my tripod pointing. Thanks for that mate!

Had to do a small edit to that one above just to remove that guy! :LOL:

#3 is fantastic. Really really nice. I like the composition. The second version, I'm not quite so digging, mainly because the colours in the boat look too saturated and artificial looking. But over all a nice set.

Stunning!! Really beautiful images.

Great work!

Agree that number one makes me want to go and visit, but its a long way from Portsmouth!

I agree with the above comments - a beautiful set, but No 1 for me is great. Lovely composition, and so tranquil.

oh, absolutely superb set, my most favourite place, The Lakes :love:

lovely set! my fave being #1, its got such a timeless feel to it.

Wow - thanks for all the positive responses everyone, they're all very much appreciated.

I find #3 and #4 quite interesting myself because a lot of people prefer the muted feel of #3 (which is what I originally took the photo with in mind), but as many people prefer the look of #4 - I haven't seen opinion swing one way or the other with it!

For those who haven't been there yet - try and find an opportunity, there's just so much to see and to photograph it's an absolute delight. I also wish I had just turned the camera to the sky at night and taken some star trail shots - there's so little light pollution it's beautiful! :)

This are lovely. The softness of the light is particularly pleasing. The HDR version of 3 is fine, but probably taken too far - it has sacrificed the atmosphere and the uniqueness of the place.

Do I see some kind of gradation/banding artefact in the sky in 2? This is a problem that I am finding when processing images with clear blue skies. Is it a function unique to JPEGs, or is it just due to the compression for the web?

Do I see some kind of gradation/banding artefact in the sky in 2? This is a problem that I am finding when processing images with clear blue skies. Is it a function unique to JPEGs, or is it just due to the compression for the web?

Yeah, I think you do - it was caused by me doing some (largely unnecessary) levels work in the sky. It didn't need it, and I could have got the same effect by doing a blue hue/saturation boost on the RAW I guess. It's probably been made a little more obvious by the JPEG compression, but I may revisit it and sort it properly (y)

1 and 3 are amazing. Good work. Number 4 I assume is a HDR attempt? Doesn't really work for me.

Thanks again everyone - looks like the balance of opinion on here is swinging to the desaturated boat ;)

nice set, just out of interest what is the thing in the water on number 1, with the round pattern on it?

Ewan

It's the 'millennium stone' - a split boulder of Borrowdale volcanic lava which was placed there to mark 100 years of the National Trust in the Lake District (apparently). The carving has 100 segments, each one representing one year!

(I read the guidebook ;))

Thanks again everyone - looks like the balance of opinion on here is swinging to the desaturated boat ;)

It's the 'millennium stone' - a split boulder of Borrowdale volcanic lava which was placed there to mark 100 years of the National Trust in the Lake District (apparently). The carving has 100 segments, each one representing one year!

(I read the guidebook ;))

Ah I see. Thanks:p

Great images that bring back memories, I lived in Carlisle for some time and spent a lot of time in the lakes.

Back