A couple of black and whites (edit added)

cowboy

Guy Fawkes
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Shot at North Corner Studio Hebburn using natural light from the window to the right of shot.

I think there is just a touch of light on the lhs from the modelling light at low power, it was turned down really low but I think the octobox has acted like a reflector.

Steph by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

Steph 2 by Mark Elsworth, on Flickr

Shot at 85mm, f2.2, iso 400 for those interested.

2 lovely shots Mark. Not sure if I'd kill the end of the wall in #2 or not. Have you tried it?

Cheers.
I prefer it with the wall end, I tried it without but didn't like it as much personally.
My thoughts were very white to very black working on a sort of zebra stripe type thing with the shadow on one side of her face.

It would probably work just as well with your suggestion, personal preference I suppose :)

Two very nice images Mark, the B&W PP work is very well done. Agree about the toning down of the wall edge.(y)

George.

Like them both (that is first and your edited second) as that jagged edge on the vertical wall distracted, so much better without.

Really classy work, nicely posed, framed & processed. I love the lick of hair around the eye in the first.
In the second I think it needs the wall end but I'd tone it down.

More importantly, though, the left hand is by far the brightest thing in the first one so that's where my eye goes. Is that what you planned?
The second has a similar issue; the leading line from the bright shoulder takes my eye straight to her ear, which has also caught the light. Really the attention should be on her eyes.

Really classy work, nicely posed, framed & processed. I love the lick of hair around the eye in the first.
In the second I think it needs the wall end but I'd tone it down.

More importantly, though, the left hand is by far the brightest thing in the first one so that's where my eye goes. Is that what you planned?
The second has a similar issue; the leading line from the bright shoulder takes my eye straight to her ear, which has also caught the light. Really the attention should be on her eyes.

Thanks.
In the first my intention was to draw the eye to the nose and into the face, although now you mention it the hand is quite bright.

The second one is a little more complicated.
The idea was to form a little lightning strike/zig zag from her parting using her hair, then the shadow on her cheekbone to pull the eye into the face. The zig zag then followed onto the lower jaw.

I was paying a lot of attention to the cheekbone/ lower jaw area to get the effect I was after and I hadn't noticed the ear fighting for attention.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Nice shots Cowboy, I like the depth of field and the tones. One comment is that the colours she is wearing look a little muddy when in mono. I always try to avoid reds, greens, blues when shooting for mono.

just a little tip mate...

Cheers.
She was wearing a black top

In the first one what you can see is black netting.

Last edited:
Back