A couple of Cretan moons.

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken hand held (when inder tha effluence off inkerhol...) using a Fuji X-T1 and 100-400 + 1.4x telecon. Spot metered (IIRC and I may well not!) with EC lobbed in as required.

14/6/16

DSCF3501
by Nod on Talk Photography

22/6/16

DSCF3691

and another from the 22nd but uncropped.

DSCF3692

Very nice indeed, shame it wasn't quite a full moon.

I tried shooting the moon with my Canon 55-250mm but I was using a tripod. The results were OK, but by the time I cropped the photo it looked pixelated.

Thanks for looking and commenting, Adrian. While I take your point about the full moon, I think it's less interesting than the other phases since at full it's a rather dull circle and at the other phases the shadows thrown by the edges of the craters at the Lunar terminator (edge of the shadow) add some interest.
FWIW, I was fairly well pished when I grabbed the shot (3691) but still managed to handhold the X-T1 with the 100-400 and 1.4x teleconverter (840mm EFL) at the settings below. Had I been sober, I'd have dropped the ISO to 200 and opened up a bit - will try to remember things like that when we're in South Crete in September when I try for some more moon and milky way shots (there'll be nothing between me and North Africa to cause light pollution!) The milky way will need a tripod but the moon'll be OK handheld!
1/60th, f/16, ISO 400. Can't remember what I'd been shooting earlier in the day but I was in S mode so dialled in a touch of extra exposure (1/3 stop).

Thanks for looking and commenting, Adrian. While I take your point about the full moon, I think it's less interesting than the other phases since at full it's a rather dull circle and at the other phases the shadows thrown by the edges of the craters at the Lunar terminator (edge of the shadow) add some interest.
FWIW, I was fairly well pished when I grabbed the shot (3691) but still managed to handhold the X-T1 with the 100-400 and 1.4x teleconverter (840mm EFL) at the settings below. Had I been sober, I'd have dropped the ISO to 200 and opened up a bit - will try to remember things like that when we're in South Crete in September when I try for some more moon and milky way shots (there'll be nothing between me and North Africa to cause light pollution!) The milky way will need a tripod but the moon'll be OK handheld!
1/60th, f/16, ISO 400. Can't remember what I'd been shooting earlier in the day but I was in S mode so dialled in a touch of extra exposure (1/3 stop).
Funnily enough I'm in Spain right now on holiday and looking through this section has inspired me to point my camera upwards while the sky is clear (which happily is pretty much all of the time!).
I've had goodish results with my 10-20 Sigma at 30 sec exposures with ISO 200 at f4.
When I use my 50mm f1.8 the results are OOF.
I'm using manual focusing and have tried different focal points but they still don't come out right. AF doesn't work as the sky is too dark for the camera to focus onto anything.

When I get back I'll be posting my results.

Excellent shot :)

P.s. Great handheld results while pished :)

The Fuji 100-400's stabilisation must take all the credit for that! I reckon their claim of 5 stops of stabilisation is probably about right, even for a "gentleman of indeterminate age" such as myself!

Try manually focussing on the moon then locking off the focus ring. That should be good enough to get stars in focus (or, at least with acceptable sharpness!). Up the ISO until you get enough stars registering. 800 should be a reasonable start for 30s exposures but 1600 will grab more and should still give useable results WRT noise.

Excellent shot :)

Thanks, Jak.

Back