A couple of Flies

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken today on a wander around a local nature reserve. Was only there for 10-15mins before it started raining!! It was also very windy, and the flowers they were on were swaying in the wind.

1. I guess this is a blue bottle?
IMG_9136s.jpg

2. No idea on ID

Last edited:
I think that you have done well with these. I am finding the blown out flowers on the top one a little distracting - Maybe a tone down on the exposure on the blown highlights in PP?

Can't help with the ID though sorry

Thanks Dai.
Of course it's a dung fly!! I already have a picture of one in my archives. Should have looked back. Thanks for the ID's.

#1 is a green bottle and #2 is a dancefly, the green bottle looks a little strange re the colour, maybe the light was reflecting blue somewhere. Nice shots though ;)

Thanks Alby. So thats 2 different ID's on the 2 flies!! Just googled dance fly, and remember that they did look like that, esp their wings. What is the difference between a blow fly and a green bottle? I've google both, and they look similar. I do remember it was bluey in colour, but then you can see a hint of green just behind his head.

Blowflies are a generic term for flies that lay eggs on meat hence the term "fly blown". Blue bottles have reddish brown faces and greens have silver like your fly, greens are very metallic so colours of their surrounding can be easily reflected in their body colour.

Ok. Thanks very much for the info Alby. Had another go at processing, and have come up with this
IMG_9136s2.jpg

That is much nearer the proper colour ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help Alby. But does the image look a bit warm now that I have lowered the blues.

Back