A couple of photos from my most recent film

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
4643019054_c507002326_o.jpg

4643018900_476ff57f2d_o.jpg

Ok so these two are probably the best of the 36 (I guess that's the catch with film more misses as there's no little screen to double check)

Unfortuately when the film was processed something (dust?) got on to the negatives and they all have (to a greater or lesser extent) been runied :(

Now the weel known supermarket are looking into it and I must go back tomorrow and find out the result. (my slight concern though is that it was my fault ?)

Couple of well captured shots there Doc (y)

Strange you say your keeper ratio was lower than expected - I tend to get a far higher keeper rate from film than I do on the digital. Then again, it's not often I shoot things that are dancing around - landscapes are usuallly noted for being pretty stationary :LOL:

One problem that sometimes happens with minilab setups is that if they are in a hard water area, they need to use distilled water rather than tap water in the machine. If they don't you eventually get lots of little white specks on the negatives as they dry - limescale crystals. Don't know if that applies to your neg's, but it's a possibility.

Couple of well captured shots there Doc (y)

Strange you say your keeper ratio was lower than expected - I tend to get a far higher keeper rate from film than I do on the digital. Then again, it's not often I shoot things that are dancing around - landscapes are usuallly noted for being pretty stationary :LOL:

One problem that sometimes happens with minilab setups is that if they are in a hard water area, they need to use distilled water rather than tap water in the machine. If they don't you eventually get lots of little white specks on the negatives as they dry - limescale crystals. Don't know if that applies to your neg's, but it's a possibility.

Cheers (y) interesting about the possiblity that it might be scale?

I think the keeper rate was affected by both my poor choice of subject and the "damage".

Excalibur2 - Cheers - 135 mm F2.8 (only decent lens i have for the camera) need to get a 50 mm (saw one on ebay but missed bidding :bonk: )

I am also looking to get a telephoto as that will be more flexible (if not so much fun with the DOF)

***135 mm F2.8 (only decent lens i have for the camera)***

....and was the lens a Nikon?

The scale comment came direct from a friend who used to run an agfa minilab machine at his photography shop. Wasn't a problem for my mate, as the local water supply is fairly soft, but the Agfa Tech's checked the water supply's composition as part of the installation/configuration routines. I suppose if there isn't a high enough throughput, the machine sits there running at 38c, gently simmering off the water and concentrating the residual minerals in the rinse water :shrug:

***135 mm F2.8 (only decent lens i have for the camera)***

....and was the lens a Nikon?

Nope - Hoya (on my Miranda MS-3)

Looking at Nikon F65s on ebay ?? so I can use AF-D lens and start collecting :thinking:

Sush !! don't tell the wife !!! :nono:

***Hoya (on my Miranda MS-3)***

erm wonder who made the lens for Hoya, might be a hidden gem.

***Hoya (on my Miranda MS-3)***

erm wonder who made the lens for Hoya, might be a hidden gem.

Definately Hoya - Miranda MS-3 has Pentax K mount (the MS-3 being sold under the mIranda Brand by Dixons)

I'm sure I've seen similar lenses on ebay going for just a few pounds.

How big is the 135 f/2.8?

I ask because the F65 (I have one) is very, very light and does feel a bit plasticky. I wouldn't enjoy using it with a heavy lens.

The 135 mm is solid, but also on my Miranda.

I was pondering getting an F65 as it offers a few luxuries over my almost completely manual Miranda. HOwever, the thought that it is light and plasticky does put me off. Maybe I will just hunt out more lens for the Miranda.

Definately Hoya - Miranda MS-3 has Pentax K mount (the MS-3 being sold under the mIranda Brand by Dixons)

I'm sure I've seen similar lenses on ebay going for just a few pounds.

Hoya was just a distributor like Hanimex etc they didn't make cameras or lenses etc so the Hoya lens might be made by Tokina, Kiron or whoever.

Hoya was just a distributor like Hanimex etc they didn't make cameras or lenses etc so the Hoya lens might be made by Tokina, Kiron or whoever.

Seen one on ebay up for just £5, still stonking lens and nice to use for portraits, but limited as a walkabout.

Looking at a Zoom (something with upto at least 200mm ) and poosibly a niffty-fifty - missed one with a MS-1 and it was an F2.0 :) hopefully it is relisted.

Cheers for all the comments, must get out with the camera this weekend

***Looking at a Zoom (something with upto at least 200mm ) and poosibly a niffty-fifty - missed one with a MS-1 and it was an F2.0 hopefully it is relisted.***

erm well just don't buy anything do a bit of research first... for example the Kiron 80-200mm f4 is a good lens, you can't go wrong if you pick it up for £5-£10.

Any of the 1st 3 generations of the Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210mm are very good, each generation has its own good points. I currently have version 1, f3.5 (by Kiron) in M42 mount which is not very common on Ebay, Pentax K versions are less common than FD or MD mount versions but more than M42.

Depending on which one it is, prices range from about £30 - £120 generally, with the Version 3 f2.8 - f4 being the most sought after as most K mount versions have the auto aperture selection setting, but check as early ones don't.

Don't ever bother with any of them after the 1st 3 generations though, they are cheap rubbish.

See here for more details:

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Any of the 1st 3 generations of the Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210mm are very good, each generation has its own good points. I currently have version 1, f3.5 (by Kiron) in M42 mount which is not very common on Ebay, Pentax K versions are less common than FD or MD mount versions but more than M42.

Depending on which one it is, prices range from about £30 - £120 generally, with the Version 3 f2.8 - f4 being the most sought after as most K mount versions have the auto aperture selection setting, but check as early ones don't.

Don't ever bother with any of them after the 1st 3 generations though, they are cheap rubbish.

See here for more details:

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Cheers, will have a look

Although not really gots pots of cash at the moment to spend on a lens, so just looking for something "cheap" to offer more flexibilty

Hoya are actually one of Japan's major optical glass-manufacturers (the other major player in the photographic industry being Nikon itself), they may not actually assemble those early lenses, but they certainly make the optical elements...

They still supply most of the major third-party lens manufacturers with optical glass...

Hoya are actually one of Japan's major optical glass-manufacturers (the other major player in the photographic industry being Nikon itself), they may not actually assemble those early lenses, but they certainly make the optical elements...

They still supply most of the major third-party lens manufacturers with optical glass...

It is confusing who made what also who designs the lenses in the first place. We know Vivitar originally designed their own lenses, but Hoya is not mentioned much.

Interesting reading:-
http://web.archive.org/web/20021001122829/medfmt.8k.com/third/index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20021028141532/medfmt.8k.com/third/brands.html

It took me a while to dig it out, I admit...the problem is that so many Japanese corporations are zai-batsu and connected to one another in ways not immediately apparent...

Nikon are part of the Mitsubishi zai-batsu, which also includes: Mitsubishi Corporation, Kirin Brewery, Mitsubishi Electric, Mitsubishi Fuso, Mitsubishi Motors, Nippon Yusen, Nippon Oil, Tokio Marine and Fire Insurance, Nikon, Mitsubishi Chemical, Mitsubishi Estate, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd., Mitsubishi Materials Corp., Mitsubishi Paper Mills Ltd., Pacific Consultants International Ltd.

While Canon are part of Fuyo... Canon, Hitachi, Marubeni, Matsuya, Nissan, Ricoh, Tobu Railway, Yamaha ...

These are actually subsidiary zai-batsu, known as Keiretsu...

The background in no 1 is a bit cluttered but I like no 2,strange about the number of keepers because I find I take much more time over my film shot composition and get 50% + of keepers

erm Ebayers have been reading this thread:- Hoya 135 f2.8 for Olympus now £54.50 with 1 hour to go.

The background in no 1 is a bit cluttered but I like no 2,strange about the number of keepers because I find I take much more time over my film shot composition and get 50% + of keepers

Both spontaneous photographs, not able to choose background and I recall it was too bright to stop all the way down to F2.8 (can't recall the actual aperture) as I had ISO 400 in the camera. I guess ISO 200 might have helped or even less, then the backgorund would have blurred and lost detailed.

Just really getting back in to film, need to find more oppertunities to take photos with the camera and I think compostion is my main weakness.

(y) all for the comments.

P.S. got my money back for the processing and a half hearted atempt to try to fix the damage. I will not be using them again as I just can't trust them.

P.S. got my money back for the processing and a half hearted atempt to try to fix the damage. I will not be using them again as I just can't trust them.

I spoke to my mate who had the minilab - his proposed solution to the white dots was to give the negs a good rinse in distilled water (or better still, with distilled water and a drop of photo-flo added...)

Back