Name
Blarg
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly a bug of some kind..

bug.jpg

and secondly a bee on a thistle

bee_on_thistle.jpg

I really like the 2nd one. The purple colour's a nice contrast with the green bug in the 1st, looking at the exif data you could probably have got a bit more DOF by upping the aperture and reducing shutter speed, still like it though.

thank you for both the comments :) I've been playing with a faster shutter speed to see if it makes the images a bit sharper and it was a tad blustery so the bug kept being blown about. However, will try a slower shutter next time i'm out!

I've been playing with a faster shutter speed to see if it makes the images a bit sharper and it was a tad blustery so the bug kept being blown about. However, will try a slower shutter next time i'm out!

Yeah, the wind is a real killer with macro isn't it.

Just to clarify my earlier comment regarding reducing shutter speed - I don't mean have a slow shutter speed, but as the exif shows 1/800 af f4, I would think you'd be able to increase your DOF a bit by reducing shutter speed a couple of notches and upping the aperture accordingly.

And Damage's comment about using flash is a good one too, as it means you can use a smaller aperture. Check what flash sync speed you can use though, I think my camera is only up to 1/320 sec.

love the bee
I know what you mean about wind though been out with my tamron 90mm and dof is rather shallow and even the slightest wind and bang everything is out of focus having a flashgun is very important with macro stuff i have found

Yeah, the wind is a real killer with macro isn't it.

Just to clarify my earlier comment regarding reducing shutter speed - I don't mean have a slow shutter speed, but as the exif shows 1/800 af f4, I would think you'd be able to increase your DOF a bit by reducing shutter speed a couple of notches and upping the aperture accordingly.

And Damage's comment about using flash is a good one too, as it means you can use a smaller aperture. Check what flash sync speed you can use though, I think my camera is only up to 1/320 sec.

Sorry Matthew, i hadn't looked at the exif :( My D90 has a flash sync speed of 1/200 and i find it ok for my hand held macro shots :)

I need to get a decent flash, thinking of either the canon ring flash or one of the 400/500 series canon flashes. Just never seem to get round to buying one :/

Sorry Matthew, i hadn't looked at the exif :( My D90 has a flash sync speed of 1/200 and i find it ok for my hand held macro shots :)

No apology needed :)

Yes, I also tend to use around 1/200 and f/11ish with the flash, but I still find it's not easy hand held though :(

Back