A couple of recent shots

Edit My Images
No
One of my aims this year is to do more motorsport photography, it's far to hit and miss at the moment so I'm using this as a starter and see how it goes over the year.

I took these a couple of weeks ago but only now sorting through them.

rally1.jpg

rally2.jpg

rally3.jpg

rally4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jase. I'm only looking on my phone but they look good to me. Your technique looks good and your settings correct for what you wanted to capture.

My only crit would be that they're all the same. Try and go for a few different angles and compositions. That's the next step up for you. You could shoot these all day and come away with a 90% hit rate. Push yourself further. But don't forget to have fun whilst doing it!

Thanks minnnt yeah I know what you mean, I didn't really like this venue, I've been before and it's been more open but this year they really limited access.. I've got more from this day to sort through tomorrow so there may be different ones. I'm going to look through the forum tomorrow for inspiration.

Are there any links websites that list sporting events? I'd like to do some motocross, definitely a proper rally etc

Ohh and as for 90% hit rate I'd say 10% at the moment :) I'm using a D810 which I know isn't meant for sports but I will be getting a D5 when it's out so I can do more sports and wildlife this year, any excuse for a new toy :)

Nothing wrong with the D810 for sports and i would say it gives you a lot more scope for capturing detail and cropping etc.

I'm not a spray and pray kinda guy though. I will take my time and get one shot.

As for info, just google the location you're interested in going to and see what's coming up.

Cheers, it's not so much googling the location but finding the location :)

Something I really like with these is you've given them space in front of the vehicles which I feel makes the photograph more dynamic.

Good spot from David above. I like to create different ratio/aspects with similar images to break the uniformity - so most will be 2x3 but quite a few in 16:9 and so on, some 10x8 and others in portrait. Obviously it depends on the subject but perhaps if you cannot move around this thought might help.

Good panning skills.

Nice shots. I realised how much I enjoyed photography whilst taking photos at racing events. Unfortunately I also realised that I'm not very good (yet) at motorsport photography. I like your images, the cars are all very clear and well focused with lovely motion blur in the back ground. the space in front is good for movement and the images are very well composed. True, they are all from the same angle etc, but we will await more.
I am very lucky where I live as I have Brands Hatch racing circuit, Arena Essex Speedway and banger etc oval circuit, Canada Heights motorcross track, Lydden Hill, Lydd, several go kart tracks and even a couple of grass track ovals all within easy reach. Just need to nail those pesky high octane shots now.

Thanks guys, my mission for tonight is to find somewhere. I really wanted to go to the WRC in Wales last year but missed it as I got the month wrong :(

I've just checked out their website and got the dates for this year, I've seen a few WRC posts on the site so I may ask some advice on the events outside of the UK.

So pick the kind of racing that you want to shoot, find what series it is and visit the website for a timetable. They're usually readily available.

I do that already. I have been going to racing events for a few over twenty years now. Mainly Brands Hatch and Arena Essex. I have already decided that I am going to Speedway this year. I have only been once before, yet it is every Friday in season at Arena. I am also going to attend my first motoX at Canada Heights and I understand they have big championship races in March. I am also lucky enough to know someone that will now be looking after sponsors etc for one of the BTCC teams so I am almost definitely getting good hospitality tickets for Brands. Her fella is one of the mechanics and has been promoted to one of the race day engineering team fr the coming season so I am going to see if I can get some decent garage time between their races. It should be a good year for me this year. A lot of spectating and a fair bit of practicing and honing those elusive shots.

I've never been to Brands Hatch, what is it like for Photography, how close do you get, is it stands only? I'd like to do some Motorbike and Touring Cars this year.

First question: Is that Donington Park or Croft? I'm really trying to think of who else has blue and white but I cant picture any off the top of my head.

As for your Brands question: It can be a bit of a pig from public areas. There is a lot of catch fencing on the Indy layout and the Grand Prix loop is mainly off limits.You can get some cracking shots there, just think of the GT photos you see with Audi's streaming sparks down Paddock Hill, but you have to work hard to find variety. Good luck finding an open grandstand at any MSV venue unless its BTCC at which point I wish you luck getting in!

If you are looking to shoot rallies go to http://www.itsmymotorsport.co.uk/rally-events-by-month.htm who have a list of all the major events and then all the locals too. Racedates.com are the go-to place for circuit racing. If you are looking at GT and single seaters avoid the big events at Silverstone unless you have a passion. They are packed out, not to mention the team at TheCheckeredFlag and I have dubbed the place Tarmac Tundra because its just acres and acres of macadam. You need the hubble telescope on the end of your camera to get a good closeup.

They were taken Pembrey, it's probably not that well known but it's only 40 minutes drive for me and they have regular events.

Many thanks for the tips and those links, very useful, cheers.

Ive always wanted to do Trucks at Pembrey but its too far to go without confirmed customers.

Actually the truck racing is pretty good there, think the first race is in April.

Back