A couple of swallowtails

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
There isn't an awful lot of wildlife around in the Algarve in August but I found these two swallowtails on the hill behind the house we stayed in. Both in the same spot on two different days. I never saw them both there together, only one or the other.

Scarce swallowtail. It was a bit lively, giving me very little time and leaving as soon as I moved to try to get a better angle on it.

Scarce swallowtail by Jan, on Flickr

Common swallowtail. This one was initially very skittish, but having nearly landed on me a couple of times decided it trusted me and posed nicely for several minutes. It wouldn't fully open its wings for me.

Swallowtail by Jan, on Flickr

Beautiful :)

2 very nice shots with the 2nd being my fav, I know what you mean about not much about at this time of year, Here in the South of France where I live its much the same, although there is plenty if you really have a good dig.

No 2 stands out thanks to colour of the bug.

Both excellent captures.

So much better than a pin through hem

Thank you guys. The second is very much my favourite too. It really did have the posing down to a fine art! The first I was just chuffed with because although I've seen scarce swallowtails there before, this was the first time I'd managed to photograph one successfully.

Back