A couple test shots w/ the Nikon1 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I was pretty unhappy with the functionality of the Nikon1 V2 when attached to longer lenses using the FT-1 adaptor. Besides the size and weight defeating the purpose of having the V2 the AF performance was severely hindered and lens IQ suffered badly.
So I bought the new Nikon1 70-300mm when it was first announced (unseen and no reviews!). Well, it came in yesterday so I had to have a quick play. The "effective FL" is 189-810mm. It's very hard to get an acceptable SS and ISO for handholding at 810mm but the VR seems to work very well and I haven't noticed an issue when using it at higher SS's. That's good because it's not easily switched off and it's often needed.

Both images are mild crops...

Hibiscus
by skersting66, on Flickr
f/5.6, 1/640, 160, 300mm (810mm), handheld

Wabbit
by skersting66, on Flickr
f/5.6, 1/400, 400, 300mm (810mm), handheld

I wouldn't consider it a replacement for my pro gear, but I must say I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Last edited:
Hi sk66

Really like both shots. Have just purchased the old 70-300G for use on the V2 and I am happy. Question is, have you tried both old and new 70-300 lenses and, if so, how you think they compare ?

OOI, a good mate of mine has just acquired the new CX70-300 and he is delighted with it as well. His test shots are similarly excellent !

Regards

Gary

I haven't tested the other 70-300's.. I have the 70-200VRII and the 80-400VR. I actually think the IQ is lower with them than with the cx 70-300 when paired with the V2... That would make some sense as the cx lens is optimized for the cx sensor.

Last edited:
Hi sk66

Sounds like a great lens. I had the new 80-400vr for about 6 months and thought it excellent but too expensive. The cx70-300 seems quite dear as well but it looks like you definitely get a great lens for the money. If I decide to stick with the V2 I will definitely put this lens on my shopping list. Thanks for posting.

Hi sk66, great photos, how does the 70-300mm compare in sharpness to say the 30-110mm? was considering giving up my V2 for an OMD EM-1 but with the 32mm f/1.2 I own and now this 70-300mm I am starting to reconsider.

The 70-300 is definitely sharper wide open.
Without critical testing/evaluation I would say this new lens is quite possibly the sharpest of the Nikon 1 lenses.
(I have the 10mm, 18.5, 11-27.5, 6.7-13, 30-110, 10-100PD, 70-300... I got several of them when I bought the kit used)

Impressive!

Hi sk66, sounds like an awesome lens. Do you have some more test shots?

Excellent images,

A couple of questions, how fast is the auto focussing compared to say a D7100 + 300 f4 + 1:4 tc? Also is there a manual focus option?

Regards Gerard.

I can't compare it to your specific setup as I don't have it.
The AF is quite fast if it's "close" to start with... If it's way off it seems slow/uncertain in finding focus and often misses. The subject tracking is goofy... You have to activate a focus point on the subject with the controls on the back before starting the picture. (at least the way my camera is set up, maybe I could set it differently?) It does have MF.

Let me put it this way... In many situations I could use the V2 combination instead of a DSLR and big lens. But you run into the limits pretty quickly. In fact, it's already into diffraction with the 70-300 lens wide open (f/5.6).

Back