A couple with my new toys

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
So yesterday I left the D700 at home and thought I'd have a go with my two newest acquisitions, the Fuji S5 Pro and the 80-200 2.8 AF-D while out with the kids.

I'm not that impressed with the S5 at 800 ISO and above, the amount of noise really surprised me, but when the light was good enough to allow for 200 I thought it did well, was impressed with the colours and think it will be a great tool to have for outside portraits. As for the 80-200, I really do like this lens, I used it on a shoot last week with the D700 and found it nice and sharp, so am no longer hankering after the 70-200mm any more, not for the time being anyway.

5cm87b.jpg

30hrejr.jpg

33uz9sg.jpg

352hdsy.jpg

35irq14.jpg

Last edited:
LOVE the second picture, simply stunning!

The first and third needs the little chap to be sharper, it looks like the thees are the main focus rather than him.

Forth smooth... but perhaps a tad sharper.

Great set though :)

1 is let down with the people in the background, but agree with others... 2 is a belter. A fantastic shot I can see looking great on a wall.

Cheers all, have added another along the same lines as 2.

Jon - It's pretty frustrating, although I agree with you about 1 & 3, they look fine on a full screen, just nowhere near as sharp when resized.

I'm not surprised that it appears noisy after a D700, although it was considered excellent noise-wise for a crop body in its day - far better at high ISO than the D200 it was based on.

It's a finicky beast that you need to get to know, but can knock out ready to print JPEG's (sharpening aside) all day long if set up properly - unless you're totally useless at getting your exposure close, there's just no point in shooting 25mb RAW files with it. You can pull back a full two stops on the JPEG's, and up to 3.5 stops on the RAW files.

No's 2 & 3 are really good, although 5 comes up fantastic with a sharpen and is the best of the bunch to me.... (y)

5 has actually had some high pass sharpening, maybe I need a touch more then, cheers.

Edit - Have given it some more HPS and have replaced the original.

Last edited:
2 & 5 for me, although I would consider cropping or cloning that tree stump in #2

Cheers all, am tempted to see how 2 comes out on canvas.

think i'd turn the 1st in to a square crop, removing the people. The 2nd I would crop just below the tree to remove it.

lovely set though :)

I can see why people are saying to clone out the tree stump and I've duly amended, but I'm not tempted to square crop the first one. They just happened to be there, had I waited for them to pass I'd have lost the moment, but these days I'm leaning more towards the 'keep everything as it happened' camp in terms of people in shot.

Last edited:
With the first, we know he's the subject as he is in focus, but your eyes are drawn to her white scarf and his bright white face, its just a little distracting.

Maybe burning them a little may help :

Love no2. It would make a lovely canvas.

I love my S5 pro for skins tones straight out of the camera, never take it much over iso 400 though.

Good shots Dave

Cheers Adam, these were shot in RAW, I'd find it hard to break that habit even though the S5 Pro is meant to produce great JPEGs. I just can't bring myself to try it!

I like no#5 and am very interested in the results with the 80-200 I have been longing for a 70-200 but may now and after tips from one of our TP regulars be looking at one of these lenses instead :)

I like no#5 and am very interested in the results with the 80-200 I have been longing for a 70-200 but may now and after tips from one of our TP regulars be looking at one of these lenses instead :)

If you have a steady hand then go for it, I was surprised how sharp it was at 200mm wide open and am really pleased I saved myself the money that would have gone on the 70-200.

Back