A Covesea Sunset

Edit My Images
Yes
I headed down to a reviously recce'd location for sunset photos last night. my intention was to photograph a huge seastack with an arch in it called "gows castle" but just could not get a shot (one of those things that you imagine a great shot but just cant get that all important POV) so decided to get right down to the shore and get something before the sun dipped below the horizon and this is it.
I really needed another nd grad to do this shot justice as i have lost it abit around the sun, think the sky needed held back a bit more. Ideally slightly lower POV would ave been prefferable but the filter kept getting water splashes from the breaking waves.

eos 5d, 17-40L,tripod, hotshoe bubble, remote release,0.6 ND Grad, iso 50, f/22, 0.8 sec, RAW

CoveseaSunset.jpg

incidently, the PP took around 40 mins as i had a torrid time cloning out what appears to be smears on sensor. camera is off getting cleaned in glasgow so no photos for a while

wdyk?

c&c welcome

dave

I agree, 2 stop grad is nowhere near enough for this kind of capture, some times i find i need 5 and even 6 stops and sideways from the top right, just to cover sky and water.
Where is this place if you don`t mind? It looks like Talisker bay but without the stack.

thanks for the comment dimitri.

this little cove is situated between the covesea lighthouse at lossiemouth and hopeman (about 1 mile west of the lighthouse) that stretch of coastline on the moray firth is a hidden gem and got the lot for coastal togs; sandy beaches, rocky beaches, pebbly beaches, cliffs, stacks and caves. its just a great location!

dave

yeh good stuff. Would agree with the comments about the filters though. I didnt find this type of shot easy at first, but now i find stacking my grads really helps. looks a really great location!!

thanks for the comment dimitri.

this little cove is situated between the covesea lighthouse at lossiemouth and hopeman (about 1 mile west of the lighthouse) that stretch of coastline on the moray firth is a hidden gem and got the lot for coastal togs; sandy beaches, rocky beaches, pebbly beaches, cliffs, stacks and caves. its just a great location!

dave

Cheers Dave.

All good comments above. This is only an hour from where I live so I must get a visit in (if I can get up early enough :LOL:)

Did you get any after the sun dipped worth showing?

unfortunately not Gary ,as soon as the sun had set and realised the sky wasnt upto much, because of the lack of cloud, i had to get moving to beat the tide otherwise i might ave spent the night there!! plenty of places for good sunrises too, getting up early can be a challenge sometimes but luckily i live in lossie so dont have to go too far to catch it.

have got a few shots of the sandstone cliffs with th suns golden rays hitting them that i took as i waited for the set, will post a few up when i have sorted them out.

where abouts are you based gary? if you do plan to come over to this area, a great place would be Cove Bay, about a mile East of Hopeman, its spectacular for togs, joe cornish mentions it in his book called "scotland coast"

dave

unfortunately not Gary ,as soon as the sun had set and realised the sky wasnt upto much, because of the lack of cloud, i had to get moving to beat the tide otherwise i might ave spent the night there!! plenty of places for good sunrises too, getting up early can be a challenge sometimes but luckily i live in lossie so dont have to go too far to catch it.

have got a few shots of the sandstone cliffs with th suns golden rays hitting them that i took as i waited for the set, will post a few up when i have sorted them out.

where abouts are you based gary? if you do plan to come over to this area, a great place would be Cove Bay, about a mile East of Hopeman, its spectacular for togs, joe cornish mentions it in his book called "scotland coast"

dave

I am based in the Black Isle Dave. Know Lossie very well as I used to visit there for the winter surf.

Planning a trip with another local tog soon. He wants a specific coastal shot for his LRPS panel and I want to explore this stretch after having only seen it from the sea.

My moby is 07740 2 hundred 2 hundred. Drop me yours and will advise if in your area for togging purposes. :)

(y)

here is two shots i took whilst i was waiting for the sun to set.

this is a photo of the stack called gows castle, i had intended to take a photo of this from behind looking out to a sunset but i could not find a decent POV.
GowsCastleSunset.jpg

this shot is looking east with the west facing cliffs catching the rays of the low sun. gows castle is first part of the cliffs on the RHS.
SunkistSandstone.jpg

thanks

dave

Back