A d200 over a d80 Why ?!!

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone i have been advised that i should consider a d200 as a purchase rather than a d80 with a associated zoom lens.

Now i,m buggered if i know what to do.

This weekend is your chance to come out and defend your cameras please:thinking:

ta

pace

wirral

The D80 has "amatuer" modes like "sport" and "portrait", the D200 doesn't. The D80 has a lot of the adjustments buried in menus, the D200 has buttons for quick adjustments. The D80 has a stainless steel chassis and plastic body, the D200 has a magnesium chassis/body. The D80 is 3 fps, the D200 is 5 fps.

I bought my D80 12 months ago when the price gap was much bigger due to the fact that the D300 hadn't been released.

I read the review below which convinced me to go with the D80.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

However, if I had to make the decision today I'd buy the D200. I love my D80 but the price difference is so small now that I'd pay that little bit extra for the quality of the D200.

The positives in the D80's favour are 1) Easy to learn on if you're a beginner and 2) smaller and lighter than the D200 making it easier to handle if you have small hands.

My advice would be to go into a shop and try out both cameras and see which one feels more comfortable to use. Both will take equally great pictures.

I bought my D80 12 months ago when the price gap was much bigger due to the fact that the D300 hadn't been released.

I read the review below which convinced me to go with the D80.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

However, if I had to make the decision today I'd buy the D200. I love my D80 but the price difference is so small now that I'd pay that little bit extra for the quality of the D200.

The positives in the D80's favour are 1) Easy to learn on if you're a beginner and 2) smaller and lighter than the D200 making it easier to handle if you have small hands.

My advice would be to go into a shop and try out both cameras and see which one feels more comfortable to use. Both will take equally great pictures.

Thats strange, if I read that article I would buy the D200 !

Uncle Ken says "Get the D80 if you have any concerns about cost, size or weight", which basically sums it up. They're both decent, if rather old hat nowadays, cameras.

D80 will be fine if you just shoot occasionally.

You'd be better off spending any monetary difference on a better lens. It'll outlast the body by a factor of 10 and will have more impact on the quality of your shots.

Buy the d200 if you need 5fps, a more robust body or speed of use.

The D80 is a beginners camera, the D200 is a "prosumer" (semi pro) version, the D80 used SD memory cards, the D200 uses CF cards. The D80 is 10mp against 12mp for the D200.
I'd advise checking out the D90 or D300 though, both are newer with better sensors. Wayne

Thats strange, if I read that article I would buy the D200 !
Yeah, I'd agree with you reading it back today. Unfortunately at the time I was completely new to photography and didn't really appreciate the differences. The big cost difference put me off at the time. With hindsight the D200 would have been better.
Then again, if I had the D200 I wouldn't be so eager to save up and get the D300!

if I had the D200 I wouldn't be so eager to save up and get the D300!

No me neither, I would buy a D300 now if I were in the position of not having a camera but the cost of upgrading from a D200 to a D300 would be about £500-600 and the differences do not warrant it for me.

I think I will start saving for the 18MP D800 :)

I have this feeling that either choice will make a great camera. The only real deciding factor is are you willing to pay the little bit extra for 5fps or are you satisfied with 3?

The whole feel of the two cameras is different - the D200 feels more solid and robust (which it is!) Same sensor, but you get more immediate control with the D200, as it has more controls available on the body, instead of tucked away in the menu system... Also, SD cards for the D80, CF for the D200. Wireless remote sensor on D80, D200 has 10-pin socket.

In the end, both great cameras, it's whether you need the features of the D200 or not...

I had the D80 then upgraded to a D200. The difference between the two is not huge, but certainly very noticeable. I found the D200 gave me better images, was easier to use and encouraged me to experiment with settings. That way I got more out of the camera and it was a more satisfying experience.
Sure, on paper it doesnt look much, but, trust me, it is.
The D200 badge gives a little more kudos too!
Allan

Back