A day at Port Merrion (56k)

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
So after a nice 2 hour drive there I was kinda expecting a large town and not a tourist attraction. I thought it was a bit odd that you had to pay to go into a town, but when you realise how small it is, its understandable. We saw a couple having a wedding there too. Perfect day and what a photogenic location.

I had been using my Lomo to take some black and white shots but I had a problem winding the film back. It jammed, so I had to open it to fix it. The best place I could find was in the shadows. :( I opened it just a bit and had to rip part of the film to try and get it back into the roll. I'm sure that most of the shots are ruinied, but it might be worth it. I'll get these shots back tomorrow night.

As we continued to walk around enjoying the nice architecture, we found the beach. From the hill side the beach looked quite a distance away, with the two German girls seeming very small. We walked down some steps and there we were. Its a very odd place is Port Merrion. The beach was blocked by a very small bit of water. Not much, but enough to warrent me taking my shoes and socks off. I was going to but I decided to wait for the tide to go down a bit. So I waited while TerraS went for a walk. When he came back I decided to go and try to cross it where the girls did. They got across ok, so I should. This is the point where I slipped over on the oily mud. As previously stated, I managed to fall onto my side without falling onto my backpack containing my 100-400. I also managed to fall over without getting any mud on my 10D, or my nice white shirt. I was then helped by a random German girl in a bikini, and not my "best" friend :D

I went to where they crossed to try and cross. I chatted to them for a few minutes and it turned out the one who helped me liked photography too. I asked if I could take their picture and then for some bizarre reason I left. I can't quite work out why I stopped talking to a girl in a bikini about photography, but I did. Port Merrion is definetly an odd place. So I tried to get across the mud and nearly slipped again. I took off my shoes and socks and attempted again, eventually making it across. The sand on the other side was very odd. It was like 30 cm deep.

I spent the next half hour or so paddling and washing the mud off my tripod. Then we attempted to walk back. Again, mud. The glitch here was that once I reached the other side I couldn't wash my feet again. After walking back to a seat, on very very hot slate, I used the last of my water to clean my feet and we headed up the hill. By the time I had reached the top I realised my Lomo was missing. :eek: So we headed back down to find it. It wasn't on the seat. I asked inside and thankfully someone had handed it in. My money was on the German girls again as they had come out to do more sunbathing, with 2 more of their girl friends. If only we hadn't left!

So I lost my camera, found my camera, probably destroyed a roll of film, fell over in the mud and met some girls in bikinis.

So, the shots :)

CRW_1058.jpg

CRW_1061.jpg

CRW_1008.jpg

CRW_1051.jpg

CRW_1054.jpg

CRW_0982.jpg

CRW_1036%20copy.jpg

Its not a very good shot. I couldn't move without falling over :)

petemc said:

top class this one, i dodnt know why, but for me by far the best.

the rest are nice, pleasent looking place!

Dont think much of Daves lass though!:D :whistling

As with Dave's photos you have also sold the place to me and made it a must visit location. I also agree with EosD on the picture above being the stand out shot of the day. You managed to catch that at precisely the correct second to make it work.

What is it with you and girls? You meet, you speak and then you walk away :nut: I hope you at least left them one of your cards?

Unlucky to lose the camera but even more lucky to have it handed in, did the person who passed it back to you not say who had found it?

Steve said:
As with Dave's photos you have also sold the place to me and made it a must visit location. I also agree with EosD on the picture above being the stand out shot of the day. You managed to catch that at precisely the correct second to make it work.

What is it with you and girls? You meet, you speak and then you walk away :nut: I hope you at least left them one of your cards?

Unlucky to lose the camera but even more lucky to have it handed in, did the person who passed it back to you not say who had found it?
Nah they didn't. But I suspect that it was the German girls because when I came out they were on the beach. I did give them my card, but I think they left it on a rock.

Its definetly a great place to visit. Its like a small mediterranean village. Lots of architecture, palm trees, a beach, etc.

Excellent shots once again mate, I wish i could have a day that after returning home i'd be greeted with so many good shots. Looks like a really nice place. :)

Beautiful shots.

A very picturesque village, I visited a few years ago before I was into photography.

My better 1/2 has been going on about revisiting this place for the last 5 years.

After seeing the pictures of it on here, I can see why.

I'm going to make it a priority to make it there before the summer is over.

:D

Back