A day at the Northumberland Coast.

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday the sun was out so we popped down to the North East coast from Tynemouth to Whitley Bay. I took a few photos and would like peoples thoughts. I have messed with the first 2 using Oloneo Photo engine using the HDR Tone Mapping etc while the others have just been squared up and had a few tweaks such as changing the shadows on the beach shot as the grass and church were very dark. All shots were took with my D5000 using the 18-55mm kit lens except the lighthouse which was taken with my 55-200vr. I used a polariser on all bar the lighthouse pic.

St Mary's Lighthouse
LHredoneHDR2.jpg

I would like some feedback on the composition of this one please.

Tynemouth Life Brigade Watch House
WatchHousea2HDR.jpg

Tynemouth Outdoor Pool
TynemouthPool.jpg

Pool.jpg

Tynemouth Beach
TynemouthBeach.jpg

The Priory
Priory.jpg

This is another step towards learning how to use my equipment and how to edit the photos in Photoshop.

Comments and advice welcome, Phil

Last edited:
Am i right in thinking not one person has looked at these? :( Even if theyre rubbish i would still like feedback/advice to keep me on the right tracks.:)

Phil

Am i right in thinking not one person has looked at these? :( Even if theyre rubbish i would still like feedback/advice to keep me on the right tracks.:)

Phil

Hi Phil,

3 and 5 are my favourites, 5 in particular because you've got a good wide angle.

I'm new to photography so my critique is limited. The lighthouse in number 1 does seem a little over exposed to me, but I may be mistaken.

Lee

Hi phil

Fairly new to this so wont be offering any critigue, but i think they are great shots and a really like the Tynemouth Life Brigade Watch House and Tynemouth Beach ones, ive always wanted to get photos of the Tynemouth Life Brigade Watch House but have never really had the time. well done

Hi Phil,

3 and 5 are my favourites, 5 in particular because you've got a good wide angle.

I'm new to photography so my critique is limited. The lighthouse in number 1 does seem a little over exposed to me, but I may be mistaken.

Lee

Thanks Lee, aye the lighthouse pic looks daft now i look at it.

Hi Phil

If you really want feed back post only one MAYBE two photos, otherwise surfer hit info over load and move away.

Also don't post here once you have posted as there is an "unanswered post" search option and kind people use this to find unnoticed photographs

Anyway

1 I like the colours in this image and the posts in the water leading the eye in, I think it would be better in there was a little less sky and a bit more water.

2 the colours look a little funny in this one, the fence is distracting and isn't adding anything to the image. Personally I would have walked up to the fence and shot really wide putting the bush in the foreground.

3 the long shadows are not helping, I would crop them out I would also crop out the sand so the photo starts with the rock

5 this is quite a nice shot that captures a feeling for the place. but don't be afraid to get closer,

6 Way to much sky space, its not doing anything in your photo and you have nearly cropped the people out of the bottom. (in or out don't be indecisive!)

Hope that helps

Stuart

There is a weird halo type effect round the lighthouse, although it is a dark halo rather than a light one that is usually seen with an over cooked HDR. Whole image looks a bit too processed IMHO. I like the idea of the wooden posts providing foreground interest but I think they are too small to really achieve it.

Hi phil

Fairly new to this so wont be offering any critigue, but i think they are great shots and a really like the Tynemouth Life Brigade Watch House and Tynemouth Beach ones, ive always wanted to get photos of the Tynemouth Life Brigade Watch House but have never really had the time. well done

Thanks Kevin

Hi Phil

If you really want feed back post only one MAYBE two photos, otherwise surfer hit info over load and move away.

Also don't post here once you have posted as there is an "unanswered post" search option and kind people use this to find unnoticed photographs

Anyway

1 I like the colours in this image and the posts in the water leading the eye in, I think it would be better in there was a little less sky and a bit more water.

2 the colours look a little funny in this one, the fence is distracting and isn't adding anything to the image. Personally I would have walked up to the fence and shot really wide putting the bush in the foreground.

3 the long shadows are not helping, I would crop them out I would also crop out the sand so the photo starts with the rock

5 this is quite a nice shot that captures a feeling for the place. but don't be afraid to get closer,

6 Way to much sky space, its not doing anything in your photo and you have nearly cropped the people out of the bottom. (in or out don't be indecisive!)

Hope that helps

Stuart

I didnt realise there was such a feature Stu and i see where you're coming from with the 1-2 images at a time. With regards to your comments they all make total sense and have made me realise the error of my ways so indeed they have given me everything i hoped for on my next outing. On the Priory pic there were people in various places so the crop was only possible there. I shouldve just sacked it off!:shake:
Thanks, Phil

There is a weird halo type effect round the lighthouse, although it is a dark halo rather than a light one that is usually seen with an over cooked HDR. Whole image looks a bit too processed IMHO. I like the idea of the wooden posts providing foreground interest but I think they are too small to really achieve it.
Actually on the 1st one i did that halo was much worse and i was gonna post a seperate thread asking how the hell to remove it in PS and those 2 clouds to the far left.
Anyway, heres the photo straight off the camera with just auto contrast and rotation to square up the horizon. I would say it looks much better in hind sight.:bonk:
LastlHrepair.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback as it will help me no end on my quest!(y)
Phil

The one of the beach is my favourite. Great composition. Picture postcard stuff (y)

i miss the toon
Its a great place innit! Did you see bbd4 the other night? There was a Newcastle night. Some guy from Boro (ish) did a show on his love affair with the place. Very interesting:)

The one of the beach is my favourite. Great composition. Picture postcard stuff (y)
Wow, thanks very much!:D

Tynemouth beach shot is the pick of the bunch, great composition and a wonderful sky really sets it off.

I could be tempted to make it more panorama style by cropping just above the water running across the beach and a little from the sky.

As Janice has said, its got the picture postcard feel to it. (y)

Hi Phil
Here's my take :
No1 - Your untouched out of camera post looks pretty good, whereas the one you've worked on is really badly processed. The shot just needs a very slight contrast boost.
Here's my edit

No2 looks like it has great potential - colours on it look very good.
Your shot has an HDR look to it which works quite well. looks as if you could tweak it a little just to pop it a little. (I'm too busy, so don't ask - I'd start by darkening the sky a little to give it a more threatening look which would also help the building)
Composition wise it works pretty well - possibly just a tad too much sky.
Getting in behind bush (closer to building) and shooting at more of an angle may have worked better if your lens was wide enough. Still works pretty well for me and is pick of set.
3 I don't like and does not hold much interest for me.
4 is similar and subject doesn't look too interesting, however there looks to be a lot of potential for great shot there from what I can see.
The steps along pool at top look like they have potential for long lead-in lines shooting out to the outcrop of rocks on right of frame. If you go back get low on the steps and a nice angle to outcrop and top third sky.
Beach shot looks fine and very holiday postcard - just the processing is way off.
Last looks not too bad. Maybe a fraction overexposed. The people are a little too close to bottom of frame and there's a bit too much sky.
The left castle wall looks as if leaning a fraction which you could probably fix fairly easily in PS.
Finally I think you biggest challenge is getting to grips with PS - or just post straight from camera.
Keep up the shooting (y)

Tynemouth beach shot is the pick of the bunch, great composition and a wonderful sky really sets it off.

I could be tempted to make it more panorama style by cropping just above the water running across the beach and a little from the sky.

As Janice has said, its got the picture postcard feel to it. (y)

Thanks Andrew, i'll definitely look into trying the panny on it.:)

Hi Phil
Here's my take :
No1 - Your untouched out of camera post looks pretty good, whereas the one you've worked on is really badly processed. The shot just needs a very slight contrast boost.
Here's my edit

No2 looks like it has great potential - colours on it look very good.
Your shot has an HDR look to it which works quite well. looks as if you could tweak it a little just to pop it a little. (I'm too busy, so don't ask - I'd start by darkening the sky a little to give it a more threatening look which would also help the building)
Composition wise it works pretty well - possibly just a tad too much sky.
Getting in behind bush (closer to building) and shooting at more of an angle may have worked better if your lens was wide enough. Still works pretty well for me and is pick of set.
3 I don't like and does not hold much interest for me.
4 is similar and subject doesn't look too interesting, however there looks to be a lot of potential for great shot there from what I can see.
The steps along pool at top look like they have potential for long lead-in lines shooting out to the outcrop of rocks on right of frame. If you go back get low on the steps and a nice angle to outcrop and top third sky.
Beach shot looks fine and very holiday postcard - just the processing is way off.
Last looks not too bad. Maybe a fraction overexposed. The people are a little too close to bottom of frame and there's a bit too much sky.
The left castle wall looks as if leaning a fraction which you could probably fix fairly easily in PS.
Finally I think you biggest challenge is getting to grips with PS - or just post straight from camera.
Keep up the shooting (y)

Thanks for taking the time to look and give advice. I'll take this onboard and hopefully get down there again soon and try and improve.:)
Phil

Back