A Derbyshire road trip.

Bumph GB

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks to the fantastic weather we`ve been having this last week or so thursday presented a great oportunity to get my backside out of bed and visit a few of the more picturesque sights not too far away from me.
Usually i will do a little research on a landmark before i visit it but as i had to pass through Crich i decided to take a small detour.
Crich stand is now a war memorial dedicated to the lives lost in both world wars and the others who have died in combat since, more can be found out here http://www.crich-memorial.org.uk/

1) The walk upto the `lighthouse`

DSC_1248.jpg

2) The view from the top back towards Crich

DSC_1234.jpg

3) The quarry

DSC_1241.jpg

4) One more of the lighthouse

DSC_1231.jpg

I would`ve liked to have taken more of the surrounding views but there was an everpresent haze that cut down on visibilty.

Matlock bath is a popular tourist resort built inbetween the high walls of the Derwent valley alongside the Derwent river. Almost all the buildings are made of stone and thanks to the chip shops and arcades it has a kind of seaside feel to it. More can be read of the history here http://www.derbyshireuk.net/matlock.html

1) A shot from one of the footbridges

DSC_1260colour.jpg

2) In memory of the dead

DSC_1255.jpg

3) Rowboats for hire

DSC_1262.jpg

4) A little bunny

DSC_1274.jpg

5) A path upto the clifftop

DSC_1276.jpg

6) The view from the top

DSC_1282.jpg

7) Some nice flowers on the way back down

DSC_1297.jpg

8) The row boats at the river level

DSC_1306.jpg

My final stop before heading home is probably the best known of the three places i visited.
Chatsworth house is again situated along the path of the river Derwent and set in vast fields on which sheep happily graze as tourists walk amongst them, more info can be found here http://www.chatsworth.org/

1) The bridge oever the river Derwent

DSC_1332.jpg

2) A view from the bridge

DSC_1331.jpg

3) What you lookin at!

DSC_1368.jpg

4) One of the weirs

DSC_1360.jpg

5) A final shot of the house as i was leaving

DSC_1375.jpg

I was going to split this post up into three seperate threads but i then thought that seeing as technically some of the shots weren`t landscapes they should be on a different part of the forum meening further splitting up of the photos and i thought that i`d like to keep the flow of my days shooting `in order` so as to give an idea as to my journey.
If anyone would like more info on these places i`d be glad to help and of course i welcome all C&C of my shots as its the only way i will learn.

Thanks for looking, Dave.

Excellent, no other word for it. A great set of photos and a top class commentary too. Derbyshire is always nice, even in the rain. Matlock Bath is a place I go to a few times a year and I've lost count the amount of times I've climbed up the hillside along the steps in picture 5.

Great pictures of Chatsworth House too.

Nice set of images. Planning going in July for a week, went some years ago but did not get round to seeing then what is more interesting now..Like to get to the heights & Chatsworth again.
Thanks for posting..

Cheers peeps! I`d actually taken about 200 photos on the day but due to the bright sun and very few clouds i ended up with alot of blown highlights, probably a good thing as it meant i could disguard the poor shots and concentrate on the better ones, unfortunately it did meen a couple of shots that i liked the look of on camera ended up being ruined.

Lovely shots, and makes me wonder why I never did this when I lived in Derby!! Great set :) and a that bunny shot is excellent (y)

Loved the bridge overfthe river Derwent shot and the one of the little wabbit!
I've driven up to Derbyshire from Northamptonshire a couple of times in the summer just to capture sunrise over the peaks. Must do it again sometime as it kept the wife happy because I was always back by 9.30am!!

One of the best things about living here is the fact that i could`ve spent the day visiting at least half a dozen other local sites and have enjoyed myself just as much.
One thing i forgot to post from my drive home is a shot of a building i`d love to have a walk around: Wingfield manor,
DSC_1390.jpg

The vast and immensely impressive ruins of a palatial medieval manor house arranged round a pair of courtyards, with a huge undercrofted Great Hall and a defensible High Tower 22 metres (72 feet) tall. This monument to late medieval 'conspicuous consumption' was built in the 1440s for the wealthy Ralph, Lord Cromwell, Treasurer of England. Later the home of Bess of Hardwick's husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury, who imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots here in 1569, 1584 and 1585.

Filming at this site includes TV's Peak Practice and Zeffirelli's film Jane Eyre.

Nice series, some good memories for me there as I used to spend most of my time hiking around Derbyshire (having been "born & bred" in Sheffield)

I particularly like the Matlock shot, not often photographed

simon

Really lovely pictures, I was walking/climbing in the Chatsworth area last week, the scenery where I went was stunning as well :)

One of the best things about living here is the fact that i could`ve spent the day visiting at least half a dozen other local sites and have enjoyed myself just as much.

Ok shush now! you are just making me feel bad :p lived on the edge of Derby for 23 years and didnt visit hardly any of those places, let alone photograph them :( :wacky:

In fact I have never heard of number 6 and that couldnt have been more than 20 mins from where I use to live!!!

well impressed with your photos.
i like this one the most http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/Bumph/Chatsworth/DSC_1332.jpg

as for the castle, it's near Alfreton isnt it? wouldnt mind goin either. think its about £2.50, or £3.50 per person entry.

It is quite near Alfreton yes and here`s the English heritage website http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.001001001013002001009
£5 entry for adults but only available to view on the first saturday of every month between april and september.

Last edited:
All lovely pictures (well.apart from the Weir one, that looks out of place in this set.)
"A shot from the footbridges" has to be my favourite out of that lot.

All lovely pictures (well.apart from the Weir one, that looks out of place in this set.)

Like the flower shot it isn`t really in keeping with `landscape`theme of the thread, but its a part of my day out and so i included it. I fealt i`d seen enough photos of silky long exposure water and so wanted to see some sharp `frozen in time` water. Its not my favourite shot but i still quite liked it.

The second shot of the boats is my favorite. All are very nice...though I might crank up the saturation just a tad on a couple of them. That's being really picky, though. Congratulations on a nice set.

Great set....

I used to work in Matlock and lived in Wingerworth for a while. Derbyshire is such a picturesque county it makes me wonder why I ever came back south - Oh yeah, to get a job.....

Matlock Bath is the only sea side town I know of that's not by the sea! :LOL:

Been back up that way a few times on the bike, it's a great place if you're into biking. Must get up their this summer, and get out on top of the dales too.

Steve

Back