A different sort of Motorsports....perhaps

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
February 2013 I was lucky enough to travel to Johnson Valley, California as part of Team Gigglepin offroad racing from the UK. February every year plays host to the toughest single day offroad race on the planet, a race called "KIng of the Hammers". The race incorporates around 180 miles of the harshest terrain imaginable, from undulating deserts with sand type moguls, to extreme rock climbs up near vertical cliff faces and over enormous boulders. I had watched the video and was keen to see what it was all about first hand. Johnson Valley in the USA is the largest single offroad area in North America with about 250,000 acres to play in.

The Americans have taken the game to the next level and have built machines that on average push out about 5-600hp and run a minimum of a 37" diameter with 40" being the norm...thats about 8" shy of a 4 foot diameter tyre!! These machines will do about 100-130mph across the desert whilst also being able to drive up mahoosive rocks.

This trip saw me get my first digital slr, a Canon 500D and here are some of my better results, now in my intro a while ago I said i wasn't too hot on the apres photo tweaking, so if anyone can show me how to make my photos a bit better, I'd be grateful, after all every day is a schoolday :)

1View attachment 458 2View attachment 459 3View attachment 460 4View attachment 461 5View attachment 462

Last edited:
Enjoyed those with nice blur in your panning shots.

Some great shots, the action ones work better for me...

Think my favourite is the 1st one of the 2nd batch - the head on moving shot - a great capture and a good sense of action :)

(might be worth adding a number to each of the photos - just makes it easier to refer to them)

Some interesting suspension angles to the 1st shot...

Thanks for the replys, the pics are pretty much how they came off the camera, i will index them now..good idea!

I had borrowed a friends tamron 70-200 and i stuck the camera on al servo. If i am honest the best ones are pure fluke but I'll take it.

This kind of racing is taking off in europe as well, and i was also lucky enough to travel to Portugal in September to watch the inaugural King of Portugal. In Portugal. I played a bit more with shutter speed trying to capture less blurryness and more grit flying, results to follow

The Uk also has a version called King of the Valleys held in Wales.

here you go here's a point and fluke I took....now discovering raw....

Back