A fair cop

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Gutted, I have been caught speeding, yes my own fault for not sticking to the speed limit but in my defence, it was a road I use very regular and in all honesty I thought it was 50mph but the 50mph sign was a good 100yds further down the road and even though its an unlit section with no houses for miles, it is 40 and I thought by sticking to 45-46 past the van that was in a position you could see for a good half mile, I was caught.............:( ............ my first 3 points ever.
So even if you know the road, don't risk it, slow down to 10mph below what you think the limit is.

Bummer. :(

At least you SHOULD get the speed awareness day, option. Which still costs you inc. a day off work & travelling etc, but at least no points.

I'd rather people didn't drive around at 10mph below what they think the limit is, that'd mean most people dawdling along at 50mph on national speed roads (excluding motorways and dual carriageways) which jut causes frustration and is actually more dangerous as people will want to overtake. Can't you take a speed patronising, sorry i mean awareness course and escape the points? If you can live with being told how irresponsible you are, and how dangerous speeding is for a couple of hours, it might be worth opting for that. Although as you will never drive at, let alone the limit again, it might be worth just taking the points.

Its coming up to our busiest time at work, time off may be an issue so the points may just have to be taken..............along with the fine

Its coming up to our busiest time at work, time off may be an issue so the points may just have to be taken..............along with the fine
Probably the easiest option. A friend of mine did a speed awareness course and it sounded like a day in hell - a self-important guy proving Sartre's comment that hell is indeed other people [emoji106]

And the increase in insurance premium - you are obligated to tell your insurer of any motoring convictions.

And the increase in insurance premium - you are obligated to tell your insurer of any motoring convictions.
Most don’t increase your premium for one speeding offence.

Sometimes they do them on a Saturday. The guys that did ours were very good, not condescending at all, better than points too.
Matt

Bummer. :(

At least you SHOULD get the speed awareness day, option. Which still costs you inc. a day off work & travelling etc, but at least no points.

I did a speed awareness course a couple of years ago.
There were various locations,dates and times available including evenings and weekends. I was able to pick a date and time that was convenient for me so didn't need to take any time off work.

Yes. I took one a few months ago. It was for half day. It wasn't bad. I did learn a few things. Visual aids the tutor used made me think. So well worth it instead of the points..

Think you must have been unlucky when you did your SppedAwarenes course, Rick. Mine wasn't in the least patronising. No one was asked anything about the circumstances of their speeding. It was 50:50 theoretical and practical and while it was called Speed Awareness it more general awarenes and IMO well worth it. If you get a chance I'd go for it.

Dave

Think you must have been unlucky when you did your SppedAwarenes course, Rick. Mine wasn't in the least patronising. No one was asked anything about the circumstances of their speeding. It was 50:50 theoretical and practical and while it was called Speed Awareness it more general awarenes and IMO well worth it. If you get a chance I'd go for it.

Dave
I’ve never attended a speed awareness course, I’m speaking based on feedback from those I know who have. I guess it depends which force you have the pleasure of being nicked by. My partner attended one and said is was awful, that was confirmed by a couple of others I know who were unfortunate enough to stray 5mph over the limit.

Just checked with my insurance and my premium wont be affected by one speeding conviction, looks like to save time I am going to take the 3 points and get it over and done with.

Probably the easiest option. A friend of mine did a speed awareness course and it sounded like a day in hell - a self-important guy proving Sartre's comment that hell is indeed other people [emoji106]
Usally a cocky retired police officer who is fully arware that if you walk out of the course he can report the fact and the penalty points can be put on your licence along with a fine for doing so. The system with road traffic and traffic courses now stinks to the high heavens.

Just checked with my insurance and my premium wont be affected by one speeding conviction, looks like to save time I am going to take the 3 points and get it over and done with.

I'd go on the course just so I didn't have to declare it for the next 5 years to every insurance company I deal with,if yours decides to load your policy next year anyway you'll be paying through the nose to get insured elsewhere with 3 points

Perhaps I was lucky with my course or perhaps as it was some time ago (probably 2007) things have changed since then.

My course made me think more and, I believe, had a more beneficial effect on my driving than simply paying the fine and taking the points.

Since my course the population has increased and funding for the police has reduced so maybe more forces are looking to speed awareness courses as a way of helping them financially and perhaps the quality of the courses has gone down.

Dave

The argument has been put forward about the courses is that if they are working then why did they increased by 300% ! between 2010 and 2015?

Either they don't work or there are other forces / factors at work such as the police reporting people for minor infringements that would have been delt with by way of 'a word' previously.

They are also susceptable to being used if one fails the 'police attitued test', :police:

The ... figures reveal that although speeding fines go to the Government, individual forces in fact make millions from snaring speeding drivers to attend courses at hotels instead.

Probably sums it up...

Like most things, there could well be a great variety in the quality of the courses and their presentation.

The argument has been put forward about the courses is that if they are working then why did they increased by 300% ! between 2010 and 2015?

Either they don't work or there are other forces / factors at work such as the police reporting people for minor infringements that would have been delt with by way of 'a word' previously.

They are also susceptable to being used if one fails the 'police attitued test', :police:

You’d need to look at the overall increase in prosecutions to see the correlation between those and awareness courses. Of course none of this does anything to deal with the root cause of accidents, which is bad driving. A speed camera is just a revenue stream and nothing more. They need traffic cops on the roads to deal with bad driving and the courts to dish out suitable sentences for that. But that’s just too much hard work. Put someone on a low wage in a van and just watch to revenue roll in seems to be the short sighted solution. But it’s not actually fixing anything.

Just look at the figs here in particular the WDU (what's driving us) course.

The WDU's are the ones that the police issue at the side of the road where there is interaction with the driver rather than a tehcnology driven camera prosecutions without any police officer involment.

WDU''s upp from 10,724 in 2012 to 125,583 in 2016 a 1100 % increase in courses! A massive increase in road side police officer assessed bad driving which when compared to primarily technology driven bad driving between the same two dates shows a huge disparity 926,101 in 2012 v 1,188,961 in 2016 about 30% increase only.:whistle:

The differnence between the two is that in the case of the WDU it is primarily a police officers opinion on the standard of driving. Who himself will retire one day need will need something to do. :LOL:

https://ndors.org.uk/trends-stats/

I’ve never attended a speed awareness course, I’m speaking based on feedback from those I know who have. I guess it depends which force you have the pleasure of being nicked by. My partner attended one and said is was awful, that was confirmed by a couple of others I know who were mug enough to stray 5mph over the limit.

FTFY. :)

Just look at the figs here in particular the WDU (what's driving us) course.

The WDU's are the ones that the police issue at the side of the road where there is interaction with the driver rather than a tehcnology driven camera prosecutions without any police officer involment.

WDU''s upp from 10,724 in 2012 to 125,583 in 2016 a 1100 % increase in courses! A massive increase in road side police officer assessed bad driving which when compared to primarily technology driven bad driving between the same two dates shows a huge disparity 926,101 in 2012 v 1,188,961 in 2016 about 30% increase only.:whistle:

The differnence between the two is that in the case of the WDU it is primarily a police officers opinion on the standard of driving. Who himself will retire one day need will need something to do. :LOL:

https://ndors.org.uk/trends-stats/
How does technology assess bad driving? I assume you mean speeding only.

If cops are mocking people for using mobiles, not paying attention etc. Then I’m all for that, speeding in itself may be bad depending on the circumstances, but in my opinion many speed limits are just stupid and are actually used to catch people out. The whole issue is very subjective though and as usual statistics can be made to fit either argument.

Muppets like Brake don’t help either.

I had similar.20 years anever a point until 3 years ago. Doing 40 in a 30 zone. Sat nav was showing speed limit of 60, the police said the road was re-classified to the lower limit 1 year before, should have read the signs better and updated my sat nav. Wasn’t happy at all but I was speeding so 3 points and £100 fine.

i'm a proper daawdler in the car.
remember the speed limit is the maximum speed not the minimum

I did a speed awareness course a few years back, my experience of it was that it was all rather basic even a little patronizing but it was worth it not to have the 3 points, ultimately you were in the wrong you accept it what more can you do, it was the same for myself I knew I was in the wrong, do I still speed now, yes is the simple answer, I'm not and actually never have been a recklessly fast driver but I've been known to go a little bit faster than I should where the conditions permit, and I think anyone who claims to never speed either is a liar or dosn't actually drive

i'm a proper daawdler in the car.
remember the speed limit is the maximum speed not the minimum

Yes but if you drive at 25mph(like some idiots do) in a 40mph max limit on your driving test you fail.

And of course the possibility of being prosecuted for careless driving/driving without due care if you seriously inconvenience other road users and are observed to be doing so by the BiB.

However, driving too slowly or braking without good cause is an offence, coming under the scope of ‘inconsiderate driving’. This is defined as driving a vehicle on a road or in a public place without reasonable consideration for other people. In order to prove that you're guilty of this offence, prosecutors must show that another driver was actually inconvenienced by your driving.
https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/why-driving-too-slowly-is-dangerous

And of course the possibility of being prosecuted for careless driving/driving without due care if you seriously inconvenience other road users and are observed to be doing so by the BiB.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/why-driving-too-slowly-is-dangerous

when other road users start showing me consideration I will show it back, seeing as I don't see that much nowadays then it seems to be every man and woman for themslevles.
i see driving a little below the speed limit allows me to see all the carknobbers coming and keep out of their way.

when other road users start showing me consideration I will show it back, seeing as I don't see that much nowadays then it seems to be every man and woman for themslevles.
i see driving a little below the speed limit allows me to see all the carknobbers coming and keep out of their way.
If your incapable of doing that, driving at the speed limit, perhaps you really ought not be on the road. It's probably why other road users aren't showing you any consideration.

If your incapable of doing that, driving at the speed limit, perhaps you really ought not be on the road. It's probably why other road users aren't showing you any consideration.
I have no interest in what you say I drive to keep me and my family safe and if that involves driving under the maximum limit on a given road that is the way. If you want to travel at and above the limit you fill your boots

I have no interest in what you say I drive to keep me and my family safe and if that involves driving under the maximum limit on a given road that is the way. If you want to travel at and above the limit you fill your boots
You're no safer below the limit than you are at the limit.

In my advancing years (dizzy heights of 38) i more often than not sit below the speed limit but it will be proportionate to the limit in place, e.g.
In a 70mph i am happy to sit in the inside lane at approx 60-65 because i know people can get past me quite easily.
In a 30/40/50/60mph limit with single carriageway i usually sit anywhere between 2-5mph below.
In a 20mph.......well dont get me started on that one :LOL:

Life is not a race for who can get places the quickest.
The limit is the maximum but does not mean we have to drive at it 24/7

In my advancing years (dizzy heights of 38) i more often than not sit below the speed limit but it will be proportionate to the limit in place, e.g.
In a 70mph i am happy to sit in the inside lane at approx 60-65 because i know people can get past me quite easily.
In a 30/40/50/60mph limit with single carriageway i usually sit anywhere between 2-5mph below.
In a 20mph.......well dont get me started on that one :LOL:

Life is not a race for who can get places the quickest.
The limit is the maximum but does not mean we have to drive at it 24/7
On a multi lane road it doesn't matter so much unless of course you are travelling slower than lorries meaning they are going to be overtaking and then backing up the traffic and causing congestion. If you'r going to be driving at 25-28 in a 30 chances are you will be using more fuel and more pollution than at 30 when you could be in a higher gear. Your car may just manage 28 in the higher gear but chances are the engine will be on the border of labouring so you wouldn't doing the engine any favours.

Back