A fast, sharp prime for night time, walkabout use

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Currently using a 50mm f1.8 on a 7D. It works wonders, but sometimes I physically cant move back enough to fit the whole of whatever I'm shooting in the frame, so I'd like something shorter, but just as quick, if not quicker.

Any recommendations? No specific budget, I'm just looking to mull over options right now.

Thanks guys.

I literally just sold my Sigma 24mm 1.8, but I would have recommended that as a great performer on a cropped sensor. Does well as a macro too. The Sigma 30mm 1.4 has been mentioned and I'd give this an even stronger recommendation. I have one of these too that I haven't used since buying my 24L, however I really think the Sigma holds its own against the L lens.

Sigma 20 1.8. Great lens for walking the streets with in the evenings. Not as wide on your 7D as my 5D though.

If money were no object I'd look round for one of the Canon/Sigma primes [discontinued?] that were in the 14/15mm range - I can't remember their exact focal length/apertures.

35mm f/2 without a doubt - not sure about Canon's offering, but the Nikon optic is way better than the f/1.8 version...

Another vote for the Sigma 30/1.4 .. cracking kit. The MFD is not so great and DoF being very very shallow when close to your subject but it works great as a walkabout. But I prefer the 17-55/2.8 IS for getting close.

30mm on a crop sensor? Honestly people, that really is a crap focal length for what he's wanting to do i.e. wide.

Just an idea but instead of spending the best part of £1000 on a fast wide angle, why not get a FF body instead.

That way your current lenses would get a new lease of life and you have a sensor that handles low light/noise really well

30mm on a crop sensor? Honestly people, that really is a crap focal length for what he's wanting to do i.e. wide.
Does he want wide or does he want wider than the 50mm he already has?

I have the 28/1.8. It's actually a lot better than the reviews would lead you to believe....so long as you don't use it wide open. Even f/2.0 is a lot better than f/1.8

Last edited:
28/1.8 is nice, use it at f2 a lot, haven't touched it since I got a 24-70 though

if you need wider theres a 20/2.8

The OP didn't say he wanted wide, he said he wanted something wider that a 50mm. That extra 20mm makes a big difference, I find my 50mm a pita for a general use lens, but the 30mm is fine.

Either the 28 f/1.8 or the 35 f/2 depending on amount you have to spend, unless of course you don't mind big and expensive then choose an L lens in the focal length you want. Unfortunately for Canon users their wide (non L) primes are a bit lacking in today market, most designed around the start of the EF mount, the 28 and 35 are the best of a bad bunch (and the Sigmas aren't any better depending on whether you want edge to edge sharpness or just centre sharpness (i'm looking at you 30mm f/1.4)).

Hmm a lot of options then.

Ian, I don't want to move to full frame at the moment. Just picked up my 7D a few months back and I'm in love with it.

I don't want wide as in wide angle, the 25-30mm area sounds perfect. The 50mm is a great little lens, it's just a little too long for a lot of situations I find myself in.

The sigma 30mm seems like my best bet right now, that or the Canon 28mm f1.8

I was in the same position as you a couple of years ago: Bought a cheap 50mm 1.8 to supplement my kit lens and was blown away by it! However I found it too long for indoor use and in clubs/parties. Then began my journey to find a lens that delivered the same performance, but more suitable for the cropped sensor of my 450D. I started with a Sigma 24mm f2.8 super-wide, then a Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG, then Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 zoom, then a Sigma 30mm f1.4, a Sigma 10-20mm, a Canon EF 24L and also a Canon EF 10-22mm! None of them were really what I anticipated, but it was a very interesting journey and taught me a lot about lenses. I would say the Sigma 30mm is the best all-rounder in terms of a Nifty Fifty replacement because it's good quality, but also reasonably compact and light. However of all the lenses I'm going to keep the EF 24L f1.4, even though it's fairly bulky with the hood. The rest I'll most likely sell since they are not getting used. Good luck in your choices, I'm sure you'll have fun too!

Last edited:
Back