A Fathers Love

Thanks Dr Ged for leaving an encouraging comment, they do mean a lot to newcomers.

Regards Paul

Awww what a cutie and i am a sucker for black and white :love:(y)

well composed and well lit- but it seems you missed the focus point, baby's eyes these are not as sharp as they could be :shrug:

May I ask what settings you shot this at?

Les (y)

Ps

Heres a copy, on which I have sharpened the eyes in Photoshop CS5 just to give you an idea of what I mean

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Les for having a look and especially for doing a bit of extra PP.
The shot was taken with Canon 7D, 24-70mm F2.8L at F2.8, ISO800, 1/45th, hoping the flash would be enough to give sharpness.
I recall that during PP in Lightroom I did not sharpen the image at all, in fact I used a small amount of Negative clarity to give the Baby a soft skin dreamy look.

I do think your version of the eyes look better though.

Thanks Again

Regards Paul

Last edited:
No worries Paul, we're here to help and advise where we can (y)

Negative clarity is great if you use it anywhere on the image except the eyes :D

I have a 24-70mm f2.8 and find f4 is a better option for portraits, giving a slightly deeper dof

like this I shot earlier this year 24-70mm f4 at 1/125th sec ISO 100 with natural light

Heather Louise by Les Moxon Photography, on Flickr

Its all about practice and youre well on your way composition and lighting wise

Les (y)

Thanks again Les, I can see the benefit here of the smaller aperture quite clearly.

Regards Paul

Nice shot! Sure, editing a portrait, it's better to make a mask for eyes, lips (maybe), hairs...

Lovely shot and worthy of a large print onto canvas in my opinion, do agree that the sharpened eye's version makes a greater image too.

Thanks Pascal, Mark, Ian and Alex for your kind comments, as always, much appreciated.

Regards Paul

Back