A few from Dolomites

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
All of these are from one day in late October that I finished editing so far.

Sunrise preglow:
There was supposed to be a nice lake there but not any more, at this time of year... Otherwise conditions were great so I had to make do with with what was available: rocks and larch trees. I can see huge potential for the spring and summer with so many wild flowers and rhododendrons out and about.

Last edited:
The evening:
It was rather optimistic plan to go to Tri Cime in fairly limited amount of time that afternoon. Of course I wasn't going to pay 30 euros so so I climbed it from the other side for free and so glad I did. The views were fantastic on the way, but once there it was a sad and grey misery, even worse than 2 years ago. It's overrated at best and most are missing out on this right down below:

I got stupidly wet in the swamp taking 2. I knew I was going to, but not doing it didn't seem like an excusable plan. Maybe I just had to take the shoes off first!

Interestingly 3 full days there cost me same or less (driving from Bavaria) than one hopeless afternoon in Snowdownia from here.

Loads more are waiting to be edited but my feeling this was probably one of the better days. I pretty much didn't get a single good sunset - there was always bad rain just out there in the west.

P.S. it's all in aRGB as I can't be asked to destroy image to sRGB for what I need. Most hopefully will be OK with modern and well configured browsers.

Last edited:
The evening:
It was rather optimistic plan to go to Tri Cime in fairly limited amount of time that afternoon. Of course I wasn't going to pay 30 euros so so I climbed it from the other side for free and so glad I did. The views were fantastic on the way, but once there it was a sad and grey misery, even worse than 2 years ago. It's overrated at best and most are missing out on this right down below:
View attachment 262213View attachment 262214View attachment 262215

I got stupidly wet in the swamp taking 2. I knew I was going to, but not doing it didn't seem like an excusable plan. Maybe I just had to take the shoes off first!

Interestingly 3 full days there cost me same or less (driving from Bavaria) than one hopeless afternoon in Snowdownia from here.

Loads more are waiting to be edited but my feeling this was probably one of the better days. I pretty much didn't get a single good sunset - there was always bad rain just out there in the west.

P.S. it's all in aRGB as I can't be asked to destroy image to sRGB for what I need. Most hopefully will be OK with modern and well configured browsers.
Stunning, I'd love to go there, life changing scenery. Love your photos particularly the ones with the reflections. Bravo

Hey LongLens - we might be neighbours! Where abouts in Bayern are you? I'm living near Landsberg, working in Munich and am also a HUGE Dolomite fan, I was down in Cortina for a 4-day photo break in early October - too early for the larches, but early enough for the first snow.

Fabulous. The only criticism is the first shot of set 3; the mountain on the left is too glaring - maybe you can tone it down a bit?

If you crop it to landscape format, on the bottom third, I think it also creates a very nice compo.

Hey LongLens - we might be neighbours! Where abouts in Bayern are you? I'm living near Landsberg, working in Munich and am also a HUGE Dolomite fan, I was down in Cortina for a 4-day photo break in early October - too early for the larches, but early enough for the first snow.

I don't live in Bavaria but I was there late October and nearly packed up and went north as the colour disappeared, but then I decided to add a quick detour to Italy! It's all fairly relative, and certainly easily doable even without touching a single toll road.

Fabulous. The only criticism is the first shot of set 3; the mountain on the left is too glaring - maybe you can tone it down a bit?

If you crop it to landscape format, on the bottom third, I think it also creates a very nice compo.

It is certainly possible something didn't quite work out with multi-level Lightroom adjustments. I wasn't happy at all with the way even -50 highlight recovery treats mountain edges so ended up with exposure adjustments and lots of masking...

Good shout on landscape in landscape. It totally makes sense.

Epic scenery but I reckon you could cull a few of these for a stronger set. The stand out is number 1 for me but you could lose the distracting bright tree on the right edge of the frame. The composition isn’t especially clear in 2 so I’d lose this, 3 is an ok portrait version but again the composition isn’t particularly clear. 4 and 5 are pretty nice but do lack a really effective foreground, I wonder if there were some shapely rocks you could made more use of? Might be best to pick your favourite of the two and drop the other as they’re very similar to each other. The last four aren’t doing much for me, the last scene as in pictures 8 and 9 would work in the right conditions but it’s a little flat here, they’re not bad by any means and are technically excellent, but there’s no atmosphere to add to the artistic side of things

That's a wonderful set of photos. You must be pleased with them.

Back