A Few From France

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Really like the second one, superb building. First one I also like but I can help thinking it might be better if the bottom and the top of the cross hadnt been cut off. Unfortunately the last one doesnt do much for me Im afraid.

Interesting to see that the Adox seems to have much coarser grain than the fomapan. The cross is nice but needs the top part to complete the piccy. The second is nicely composed and exposed but looks like it needs to be de-wonkified. The third is very french indeed, and is my favourite for it.

Even the Adox CHS 25 Art has quite a coarse grain considering its an ISO 25 film, but IMHO its a very deliberate and nice grain. Not something I would use if I wanted a nice smooth modern print, but had I gone to something like the Goodwood revival in all its 50s period glory I'd have taken a couple of rolls, its very vintage if you know what I mean.

second is may fave of those 3 :)

Thanks guys. I was quite surprised by the grain but I rather like it. I have tried de-wonkifying the 2nd but every time I get one thing straight something else goes wonky the other way.......I gave up and went with the original.
The 3rd one is a village called Mortefontaine and the whole village seems untouched for the last 100 years.

Cheers

Andy

There is some proper weird rolling bokeh in that first one, it looks like movement but it isn't, maybe a characteristic of the lens close up and wide open, it doesn't show up in the other two.
I think you could have turned the last one sideways, got more width and less sky, its quite Atget-ish though to look at..

Thanks guys. I was quite surprised by the grain but I rather like it. I have tried de-wonkifying the 2nd but every time I get one thing straight something else goes wonky the other way.......I gave up and went with the original.
The 3rd one is a village called Mortefontaine and the whole village seems untouched for the last 100 years.

Cheers

Andy

I really like the Cathedral shot - okay if we're going to consider it a architectural study, then it's a little tapering away into the heights, but without recourse to either a higher veiwpoint or a T/S lens, thats pretty much just a given. I've had a go with the de-wonking as well - and managed something a little straighter, at the expense of loosing clearance over the top of the arch point, but to be honest, it's allways going to be a little visually unbalanced because you didn't shoot from exactly in the middle of the Aisle - so the row of bosses on the vault crossings aren't going to line up on the vertical meridan. These classical cathedral interiors have so many lines and points of reference it's almost impossible to spot all of 'em. Personally, I think I'd just enjoy it for it's strengths - its a lovely clear well exposed and interesting photograph, and not get hung up on any supposed technical shortcomings, that would only really be noticed by architecture geeks anyway...

Thanks guys.

You're right Jox it has a very weird rolling bokeh thing going on which I quite like.

Mark, I deliberately chose to shoot from slightly off centre just because I didn't want it to be too cliched but it has made it difficult to get everything straight.

Cheers

Andy

Back