A few from my trip to Iceland

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
I recently spent 10 days with Mark Jones from TP (userid Merc) travelling around Iceland taking photographs of what must surely be some of the world's most spectacular landscapes. I am glad I went with Mark on my first trip over there, as he has an encylopaedic knowledge of where to go, the best time of day for each location, how to get to each one and (crucially) how to drive in the (at times) extremely challenging weather conditions.
We were fortunate to see the Aurora on each of the first 7 nights we were there. We didn't get to photograph them every night however (that would be plain greedy)- on a journey from Snaefellsness Peninsula to Akureyri (a jaunt of some 9+ hours) we saw a fantastic display of lights over the road - there wasn't much foreground interest, but the display was worth a go. We we stopped, got the tripods out, put the cameras on them and got ready to shoot at which point the Aurora promptly disappeared ! Still it was a fantastic trip and I now have the bug. Can't wait to go back.

Anyway, less of the chat and on to my pictures :

1. The Ice Cave in the Vatnajokull glacier. Bracket for 18 stops of dynamic range and merged in Photomatx Pro 5

Vatnajokull Crystal ice cave entrance by Peter Talbot, on Flickr

2. Jokulsarlon Ice Lagoon with Aurora Reflection

Jokulsarlon Ice Lagoon with Northern Lights Reflection by Peter Talbot, on Flickr

3. Northern lights over Skogafoss

Skogafoss with Northern Lights by Peter Talbot, on Flickr

4. Godafoss sunset

Godafoss Sunset by Peter Talbot, on Flickr

5. The Aurora over Vestrahorn (taken from Stoksness beach)

Aurora over Vestrahorn by Peter Talbot, on Flickr

6. Aurora over Godafoss (taken the same day as number 4)

Godafoss with Northern Lights by Peter Talbot, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh a hell of a set Peter.
I am deeply envious.

I agree a beautiful set of images, and agree that Mark certainly knows his way around Iceland as you say. Now you've got the bug it will keep pulling you back, three weeks before my next trip and I hope we get the same chances at the aurora as the weather didn't play fair last year.

A really stunning set, it really is a photographers paradise over there.

Oh a hell of a set Peter.

A stunning set of images.

Ruth, Mandy, Thanks for the comments

I agree a beautiful set of images, and agree that Mark certainly knows his way around Iceland as you say. Now you've got the bug it will keep pulling you back, three weeks before my next trip and I hope we get the same chances at the aurora as the weather didn't play fair last year.

Andy, Thank you. I hope the weather plays ball this time and you get to see and photograph the aurora.

A really stunning set, it really is a photographers paradise over there.

Darran, Thank you - it certain is and not only in the winter too.

Great set! Hope to go there myself soon. What gear did you use for this?

Great set! Hope to go there myself soon. What gear did you use for this?
Adam, Thanks. For the sunset shot Nikon D810 + Nikon 17-35 f2.8 lens. For the Aurora shot, Nikon D750 + Nikon 14-24 f2.8 lens.
I had previously tried using the D810 for night time photography but found the noise at high ISO completely intolerable. The D750 has much better noise performance, hence the use of it for the Aurora shots,

Last edited:
Top stuff fella, went on a geology field trip in the early 80's and never have I seen such a wonderful diverse landscape.

Some great stuff there Pete. Your Icecave and Bruarfoss Waterfall are superb.

They are all great but I like No1 and 4 the most.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I literally can't wait to go back..... I just need to decide if I want to go in summer or winter again...... but am leaning towards winter.

All cracking shots but that first image is just outstanding, wonderful work.....

Wonderful set of images. I'm off to Iceland in May, doing a cruise for the first time. Visiting Stornaway, Faroe Islands and Iceland, 4 different stops. Heading back via Dublin:)

Adam, Thanks. For the sunset shot Nikon D810 + Nikon 17-35 f2.8 lens. For the Aurora shot, Nikon D750 + Nikon 14-24 f2.8 lens.
I had previously tried using the D810 for night time photography but found the noise at high ISO completely intolerable. The D750 has much better noise performance, hence the use of it for the Aurora shots,

That's good to hear (re D750 being better at high ISO noise) since that's what I'll be taking when I go with Andy next month!

Great set of shots - inspirational.

That's a great set Peter and I particularly like #1 and #4 - stunning.

Back