A few from the Cotwold W.C

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Had a trip out to get away from all this water, surrounding us here in Somerset- finally got the Jaguar out and up to the Cotswold Wildlife Centre I have heard so much about in this forum, (not too impressed to be honest)

All shot with the trusty Sigma 150-500mm bolted onto my Sony a77

DSC03081
by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

DSC03094

DSC03089 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

DSC03089

DSC03104

Thanks for looking

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice set Lez! Are these from Colchester?

I have been thinking about getting the 150-500mm Sigma. Looks like its capable of some great shots!

Cheers T

Nice set Les (y)
I'd be interested to hear what you found disappointing about CWP.
(Besides the bloody long drive that is :D)

Interesting Les, I wouldn't have used the 150/500 at the CWP but seems to have worked well for you (n)

Nice set Lez! Are these from Colchester?

I have been thinking about getting the 150-500mm Sigma. Looks like its capable of some great shots!

Cheers T

Err NO COTSWOLD;s :p and I love my 150-500mm heavy but capable, I can only recommend you buy one

Nice set Les (y)
I'd be interested to hear what you found disappointing about CWC.
(Besides the bloody long drive that is :D)

Not as much there as I was led to believe - Animal wise and as you say that God awful drive- 2 hours + the enclosures were miles apart too, I usually shoot in Paignton Zoo and I have to say its miles apart from CWP 3 times the amount of beasts to shoot and it cost the same entrance fee wise around £14 per person, maybe if I arrange to visit again at a TP mini meet,I could be pointed in the right direction lol :D- the Map and guide were outstanding quality I have to say

Interesting Les, I wouldn't have used the 150/500 at the CWP but seems to have worked well for you (n)

May I ask why??? The only other choices I has were the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or the Sigma 105mm f2.8, I don't own any TC's - I have thought about buying a x 1.4 for the 70-200mm though,so that is now on my "To Get" list

Thanks all for taking the time to comment, appreciated

Les ;)

You can Les :)
I find the Nikon 70-/200 more then adequate for it, also in some parts the 2.8 and faster focusing are definitely a bonus
Not been there for a while, it may have changed, but I have to say I rarely use the 150/500 at zoos these days.

Looked at that too, but don't think it's for me, happy with what I have atm.
Is your camera a crop sensor, don't know sonys ?
All my recent pictures at both whipsnade and the BWC are taken with the the 70/200

I have the a99 FF and the a77 a crop sensor

I prefer the a77 for wildlife - birds and Zoo's and the a99 for Portraits etc

I have owned the 150-500mm for 2 years and think the extra reach on the Tamron is something I could use

do you use a TC on the 70-200mm?

Les ;)

Tried one once but found it degraded the lens a bit, loss of Fstop, plus slowing the autofocus
I didn't keep it long.
Great thing is the lens is so sharp I can crop a fair bit. plus my D7100 has a dual crop sensor
which I thought was a gimmick but it's actually quite a useful little trick at times

Cute cuddling Meerkats Les, but standout for me is the Colobus, what a face and so well captured (y)

Thank you My Wife wanted to take the young one home :D The Monkey was shot through a cage and I had to manually focus on his face to loose the wire

Les ;)

Tried one once but found it degraded the lens a bit, loss of Fstop, plus slowing the autofocus
I didn't keep it long.
Great thing is the lens is so sharp I can crop a fair bit. plus my D7100 has a dual crop sensor
which I thought was a gimmick but it's actually quite a useful little trick at times

I rarely use AF and the loss of 1 or two f stops from f2.8 would not be to prohibitive I'm thinking,the a77 in Jpg mode has the x2 crop facility although I always shoot in RAW
So I may well look into buying a 1.4 x TC as this can also be used on the 150-500mm

Just how much loss of image quality do you suffer using a TC?

Thanks again

Les ;)

Agreed it's not the best zoo for photography, but it's also not the worst by a long shot, but you got some nice shots none the less.
You should've headed down and gone to Dartmoor Zoo!

I rarely use AF and the loss of 1 or two f stops from f2.8 would not be to prohibitive I'm thinking,the a77 in Jpg mode has the x2 crop facility although I always shoot in RAW
So I may well look into buying a 1.4 x TC as this can also be used on the 150-500mm

Just how much loss of image quality do you suffer using a TC?

Thanks again

Les ;)

I have used two different ones - a sigma 1.4 combined with the slightly legendary 120-300, and more recently the nikon x2 version III [meant to be superb] and the IQ loss was significant! Probably less so on the sigma combo tbh, but the x2, despite it's reputation, was very noticable. So much so, that I took it off, went back to straight forward 70-200 and cropped harder and the more heavily cropped images without it were head and shoulders superior. :( However, this comes with a caveat, even with the TC I was not even close to filling the frame - I suspect if I had of been, things might actually have better....

Suggestion - before splashing the cash, try hiring/borrowing one first and see whether you actually really do want one :) It is what I did with the x2 and frankly I am so glad I did, I have saved myself north of £300!

Agreed it's not the best zoo for photography, but it's also not the worst by a long shot, but you got some nice shots none the less.
You should've headed down and gone to Dartmoor Zoo!

Been there I just fancied a different location, thanks for your comments Jake
Les ;)

I have used two different ones - a sigma 1.4 combined with the slightly legendary 120-300, and more recently the nikon x2 version III [meant to be superb] and the IQ loss was significant! Probably less so on the sigma combo tbh, but the x2, despite it's reputation, was very noticable. So much so, that I took it off, went back to straight forward 70-200 and cropped harder and the more heavily cropped images without it were head and shoulders superior. :( However, this comes with a caveat, even with the TC I was not even close to filling the frame - I suspect if I had of been, things might actually have better....

Suggestion - before splashing the cash, try hiring/borrowing one first and see whether you actually really do want one :) It is what I did with the x2 and frankly I am so glad I did, I have saved myself north of £300!

Thanks for the advice- I don't know anyone that shoots SONY - I was looking at a 1.4 x TC as I also think 200mm + the 1.4 ie 280mm would not get me close to the action as it were, where as the 150-500m does

I did consider a 300mm f2.8 for the Sony- but the cost is somewhat prohibitive at £4799 :eek:

link- http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...=22191573489&gclid=clupv-k65lwcfdshtaodnwiazq

Les ;)

aarrgghh, yes, sorry, I was forgetting the Sony part. More Sadly, I still actually have the Sigma 1.4 here, I didn't sell it when I moved the lens on as a couple of the internal screws have a habit or working loose, so whilst it is fine as long as you know this and remember to tighten them up every so often [you can both see on pics and feel in use when its happening] I decided the hassle of explaining this to a buyer wasn't worth it. It doesn't fit with Nikons 70-200, so has sat in a drawer for a long time. :(

aarrgghh, yes, sorry, I was forgetting the Sony part. More Sadly, I still actually have the Sigma 1.4 here, I didn't sell it when I moved the lens on as a couple of the internal screws have a habit or working loose, so whilst it is fine as long as you know this and remember to tighten them up every so often [you can both see on pics and feel in use when its happening] I decided the hassle of explaining this to a buyer wasn't worth it. It doesn't fit with Nikons 70-200, so has sat in a drawer for a long time. :(

you could of course apply some Loctite to keep the screws in place - I use this on my Rifle scope mounts works very well

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Loctite_222_Screwlock_Controlled_Torque_10ml-819-p

Les ;)

I did, which worked for while, but they are so tiny and fiddly, it was awkward to do and didn't last long. Never mind, I am pretty sure at some point it will come in useful for a nikon owning sigma using friends ;)

sounds like some weird cult :D:D:D

Reactions: Yv
Not as much there as I was led to believe - Animal wise and as you say that God awful drive- 2 hours + the enclosures were miles apart too, I usually shoot in Paignton Zoo and I have to say its miles apart from CWP 3 times the amount of beasts to shoot and it cost the same entrance fee wise around £14 per person, maybe if I arrange to visit again at a TP mini meet,I could be pointed in the right direction lol :D- the Map and guide were outstanding quality I have to say

Les ;)

Everything is spread out I agree, its a wildlife park rather than a zoo.
Some of the exhibits area's are quite "dark" too from what I remember, (wolves wolverines).

Whipsnade is also spread out, with large paddocks for the animals, and there are far more exhibits,
but you can drive around whipsnade (Rather a mission to get there for you though i would have thought.) or park over the road and walk around and get the free bus.
They will charge £7 during the winter months to take your car in, but that will soon be about £20 once their summer season starts.
Plus almost £20 per head adult, it can be an expensive day.

Just looking at where CWP is and it's actually closer than I thought, so really must make an effort to get over there, just to see what it's like. Mind you, I have never visited the zoo that is nearest to me, Paradise Wildlife Park....

edit: actually, I think london zoo is just about closer and i have been there :)

Last edited:
Just looking at where CWP is and it's actually closer than I thought, so really must make an effort to get over there, just to see what it's like.
Curiously, dog on leads are allowed in.

Mind you, I have never visited the zoo that is nearest to me, Paradise Wildlife Park....
Its not a bad place just don't have high expectations ;)

Everything is spread out I agree, its a wildlife park rather than a zoo.
Some of the exhibits area's are quite "dark" too from what I remember, (wolves wolverines).

Whipsnade is also spread out, with large paddocks for the animals, and there are far more exhibits,
but you can drive around whipsnade (Rather a mission to get there for you though i would have thought.) or park over the road and walk around and get the free bus.
They will charge £7 during the winter months to take your car in, but that will soon be about £20 once their summer season starts.
Plus almost £20 per head adult, it can be an expensive day.

I doubt I would visit there again to be honest as you say some areas' are very dark indeed, I've Never considered Whipsnade although I could be tempted - Isn't there a TP meet going on there at some point? May???

I fancy a trip to London Zoo in May-any thoughts guys?

Les ;)

London Zoo has a lot to look at in a small area, compared to the likes of Cotswolds, but isn't particularly good for photography ... then again, that's my opinion based on the limitations of a 70-300mm lens and a lack of imagination ;)

London Zoo has a lot to look at in a small area, compared to the likes of Cotswolds, but isn't particularly good for photography ... then again, that's my opinion based on the limitations of a 70-300mm lens and a lack of imagination ;)

I wouldn't say you lack imagination and as for the lens, you can always up-grade to a longer faster one can you not??

May I ask why you think London Zoo has limited Photography opportunities? My Mrs really want to visit lol

Les :D

I doubt I would visit there again to be honest as you say some areas' are very dark indeed, I've Never considered Whipsnade although I could be tempted - Isn't there a TP meet going on there at some point? May???
The TP Megga-Meet is the week-end of 17th & 18th May and you can walk to the zoo from the venue in less than 5 mins. (straight up the road)
So you could do both, in a week-end, check the thread for a list of places to stay.
the link is in my signature and on the home page (y)

I fancy a trip to London Zoo in May-any thoughts guys?

I've not been in a lot of years,
I understand its better than it was, but quite restrictive with the bars etc.
I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a clearer picture as they say :)

Last edited:
Major downfall if you are travelling to London Zoo by car is the £14.50 car park charge on top of the £21 entry :(
As far as photography goes, it's not the best of places, the new Tiger territory is good but everytime I've been they are inside so
no natural looking shots, and the gorilla bit isn't bad either, but for the most part you are struggling, but then it#s
great to have a challenge
A few pics here if you are interested.
Flash isn't allowed in the aquarium and some other parts, so it's fun to play with ISO etc.

May I ask why you think London Zoo has limited Photography opportunities? My Mrs really want to visit lol
I personally struggled to get shots without really bad backgrounds, or with sufficient light. If you're in London anyway, then I'd suggest you check it out, but I only returned because Whipsnade membership gets you free parking to go into Town ;) Thinking about it, it's not really that small as there's also the section that straddles the canal, which I forgot about. If there are several school trips there though, it can be very cramped in places.

Thanks all for the input, It is my intention to visit Bushy Park in West London in the Spring to capture the new born Deer, and the Zoo is not too far from that location, doubt I'll bother now on reading the comments above :D

Les ;)

I'll check out the Mega Meet and see if I'm free, be nice to put faces to Profiles :nailbiting:

Love the expression on the colobus monkey and the first meerkat is great too:)

Back