A few from the film meet

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Putting a few of my shots from the film meet up, i have some colour shots but they havent been devved yet :)

All of these are fair game for crit and any received will be done so graciously, there will be no dummy spitting here (y)

1) Hitting the Bottle - Rollei ATP as ISO 32 in Rodinal 1+300

Myself and Nick (Raglansurf) found this little barn in Edale and a few seconds after I'd finished shooting were shoo-ed off the farm by an angry farmer in his tractor shouting "Get off of my property!"

Hitting the Bottle by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

2) Station Approach - Ilford PanF+ in Rodinal 1+50

I had been framing the shot up from the middle of a multi-storey car park when Nick shouted that there was a train on the way, so i hastily took exposure meterings and fired the shutter just as it entered the shot

Station Approach by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

3) Castlefield - Rollei ATP 1.1 as ISO 32, Rodinal 1+300

Ive tried to get a decent photo of this bridge (some of you may not even call it decent now :naughty:)

Castlefield by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

Last edited:
All very good.

That train entering the shot is excellent!

No problem mate, if you cloned the wire running across the train out, i'd dare say this is my favourite train picture to date. :)

I'll give it a crack (y)

Rob, these are excellent. I shall attempt to give some meaningful critique.

1. Love it, absolutely superb. Beautifully exposed, great tones and those bottles on the window ledge are brilliant. Worth an ar*e full of buckshot for I'd say.

2. You've been listening to Elbow again. I really like this, great exposure, train speeding through, excellent. I agree with Chris about the wire but otherwise perfect.

3. A great shot but I would have liked to have seen just a little more of the road in the bottom right. Just seems to draw my eye but then there's not enough of it there to interest it. Bit vague I know but thats me all over.

So not really meaningful crit but to be honest if I had taken any of these they would be printed off and framed. Top work, look forward to seeing more.

Andy

Rob, these are excellent. I shall attempt to give some meaningful critique.

1. Love it, absolutely superb. Beautifully exposed, great tones and those bottles on the window ledge are brilliant. Worth an ar*e full of buckshot for I'd say.

2. You've been listening to Elbow again. I really like this, great exposure, train speeding through, excellent. I agree with Chris about the wire but otherwise perfect.

3. A great shot but I would have liked to have seen just a little more of the road in the bottom right. Just seems to draw my eye but then there's not enough of it there to interest it. Bit vague I know but thats me all over.

So not really meaningful crit but to be honest if I had taken any of these they would be printed off and framed. Top work, look forward to seeing more.

Andy

Thanks for dropping by Andy, much appreciated.

Shot 2, yes i have been listening to Elbow again :love:

For shot 3 I didn't even consider the road in the bottom right, was too focussed on the bridge to really notice it, so I might have to consider that next time I'm over there

Thanks

Rob

Ooooh Rob - have people been :dummy: in here... I must have missed that.

anyway - to business.

1) - a real cracker, lovely tones, great gritty detail - can almost feel the texture of the stone right out of the screen. Particularly liking the Farmer Palmer "get orff moi Laaand" story as well.

2) - again, nicely exposed, great tones and a pretty much spot on shot in terms of timing etc. as said above, the diagonal rope is a bit of a nuisance, but probably isn't insurmountable. There does seem to be an area over the RH buildings end wall windows where there's something not quite right - it's sort of softer/paler over the central windows - but stands out to me, mainly as the rest is so sharp...

3) - I think that it's definitely as good a shot of that bridge as you were likely to get that day - composition and exposure works for me, it's just that... well - without the light, and a sky, it's always going to be a struggle.

Ooooh Rob - have people been :dummy: in here... I must have missed that.

anyway - to business.

1) - a real cracker, lovely tones, great gritty detail - can almost feel the texture of the stone right out of the screen. Particularly liking the Farmer Palmer "get orff moi Laaand" story as well.

2) - again, nicely exposed, great tones and a pretty much spot on shot in terms of timing etc. as said above, the diagonal rope is a bit of a nuisance, but probably isn't insurmountable. There does seem to be an area over the RH buildings end wall windows where there's something not quite right - it's sort of softer/paler over the central windows - but stands out to me, mainly as the rest is so sharp...

3) - I think that it's definitely as good a shot of that bridge as you were likely to get that day - composition and exposure works for me, it's just that... well - without the light, and a sky, it's always going to be a struggle.

Thanks for dropping by Mark

There hasn't been any dummy spitting in here, just on the forum in general :thumbsdown:

The spot you can see in shot 2 was a drop of rain on the lens, due to the timing of the shop i didn't get chance to wipe it off, there was one on the front of the train but it didn't seem to be as obvious
I have an edit without the rope so I'll try to deal with the rain drops a bit better too.

The weather was uninspiring all day, we didnt get any breaks in the cloud and the light was flat and dull, there was nothing we could do at all :bang:

Thanks again

No worries Rob, I actually enjoy giving a little crit. here and there, when I actually get time between dealing with the tools who don't read classified section rules, or strops from people who just want to pimp their websites and use TP as a way to drive up their google hit rate, or sweeping up the jaffa-cake crumbs in the staff dungeon... We've had a few threads recently where people have been quite rightly lamenting the state of the critique we're getting on here - so, i'm trying to spend at least 30 minutes a day "leading from the front" as it were...

So, i'm trying to spend at least 30 minutes a day "leading from the front" as it were...

Setting a good example, i should get my arse in gear and do some crits too

well - It just struck me that I couldn't justify complaining that other people weren't giving critique, when I wasn't doing it myself... so - i've kicked my own harris and got stuck in. I'm actually quite enjoying it - though I'm not sure if the "flickr generation" will see it in entirely the same light :LOL:

No worries Rob, I actually enjoy giving a little crit. here and there, when I actually get time between dealing with the tools who don't read classified section rules, or strops from people who just want to pimp their websites and use TP as a way to drive up their google hit rate, or sweeping up the jaffa-cake crumbs in the staff dungeon... We've had a few threads recently where people have been quite rightly lamenting the state of the critique we're getting on here - so, i'm trying to spend at least 30 minutes a day "leading from the front" as it were...

"It,s Mods life", sounds like a song to me:LOL:(y)

3 cracking shots Rob.....I'd be well pleased with them .

I've left a bit more feed back about them on your 52.

Looks like you had a decent days shooting....good on ya!

3 cracking shots Rob.....I'd be well pleased with them .

I've left a bit more feed back about them on your 52.

Looks like you had a decent days shooting....good on ya!

Lovely tones to these, pretty perfect!

Thank you both

Asha, i'm just about to reply to the feedback (y)

Back